Brexit 2018 - Travelling to Europe

Dunclair replied on 24/09/2018 22:07

Posted on 24/09/2018 22:07

Regardless of where you stand on the Brexit debate, two years ago many members were saying that they would do the British thing: Keep calm and carry on regardless.

That was then and this is now. Very few, if any of us, have had any influence over the negotiations that have happened since the last thread on this subject. It now seems that we are looking into the maw of a no-deal Brexit with all of the old pre-EU checks and controls coming back into force. (Yes, I am old enough to remember them and as a young soldier posted in BAOR, experienced them more than most.)

We have also seen the value of Sterling declining and the closer we seem to get to the precipice of no-deal, the worst the exchange rate gets.

So, will you still travel to Europe in the way that you have before, or will you change your habits?

Longtimecaravanner replied on 24/10/2018 13:24

Posted on 23/10/2018 21:49 by Dunclair

So, with less than six months to go to brexit day, it seems that we know no more about what our future European touring might be like now than we did a couple of years ago. Without in any way being political, this is an appalling state of affairs

For ourselves, I am planning a trip to the South East of France in May, an area that Jenny has visited, but I have not. The planning of routes, ACSI sites etc is part of the holiday for me, so I will have some of the enjoyment, but the doubtfulness of our being able to actually do it more than takes the shine off.

Posted on 24/10/2018 13:24

I hope that you have a great time. For me too a big part of the pleasure is in the planning but of course the beauty of going at that time of year means that you don't have to book anything. Last year I think I booked the ferry a couple of days before we travelled having only found out at the last minute that we could go.

hitchglitch replied on 24/10/2018 13:40

Posted on 24/10/2018 13:40

If there are delays, think of the positives. It would be an opportunity to stroll around chatting to others, admiring their outfits and generally sharing your frustration at the delay. You could make friends for life!

Wherenext replied on 24/10/2018 16:02

Posted on 24/10/2018 16:02

I did see that France may decide to make visitors from the UK apply for visas and also instigate new rules for residents in France who are UK citizens. Applying for visas would likely bring administrative nightmare if there are insufficient staff to handle it, so yet more delays.

However it might be just another poker chip being played.

DavidKlyne replied on 24/10/2018 16:55

Posted on 24/10/2018 16:55

According to the Economist around 6 million Brits went to France in 2016 and double that number went to Spain. It would seem to me that for those countries to make it more difficult for our citizens to visit would be cutting off one's nose to spit their face? This story has come about because, as I understanding it, the French have set up some reserve legislation just in case talks fail and we don't enter into a transition period. If we manage to strike a deal of some sort no doubt that reserve legislation will just gather dust in the Palais du Luxembourg or the Palais Bourbon or maybe both!

David

eurortraveller replied on 24/10/2018 17:13

Posted on 24/10/2018 17:13

There is already a list of countries whose citizens can enter EU/Shenghen  area countries for up to 90 days without needing a visa. This list includes citizens of USA, Australia and New Zealand and I have no doubt UK citizens will be added to that list for visits up to 90 days too. 

But citizens of those overseas countries do need a visa for stays in Europe longer than 90 days, and it is possible, but not yet certain, that might also affect UK citizens - for example those going to Spain for long winter stays over the 90 day limit. 

replied on 24/10/2018 17:19

Posted on 24/10/2018 17:13 by eurortraveller

There is already a list of countries whose citizens can enter EU/Shenghen  area countries for up to 90 days without needing a visa. This list includes citizens of USA, Australia and New Zealand and I have no doubt UK citizens will be added to that list for visits up to 90 days too. 

But citizens of those overseas countries do need a visa for stays in Europe longer than 90 days, and it is possible, but not yet certain, that might also affect UK citizens - for example those going to Spain for long winter stays over the 90 day limit. 

Posted on 24/10/2018 17:19

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

Cherokee2015 replied on 08/12/2018 22:05

Posted on 08/10/2018 19:51 by

Thats interesting we must just have been lucky but we have not been so lucky with Hulls roadworks, 3 times now we have been diverted through the town and down the main street past Debenhams because they had closed the  main road

Posted on 08/12/2018 22:05

Those roadworks are going to last a good eighteen months as they build a footbridge across the road and then upgrade the road.  

We returned from Germany last week via Hull with no checks from Germany to Holland, minor checks onto the ferry,then no checks in Hull except for passport control which is always slow anyway.    The ferry was very quiet both ways.   

Dunclair replied on 24/12/2018 12:59

Posted on 24/12/2018 12:59

It is good to see that my post has created so many replies. It is also good to see that so many of us a fairly determined to keep going to mainland Europe if it does not become too difficult.

With that attitude in mind, I have tried to obtain an international driving permit to be on the safe side and avoid any logjams if we suddenly need one. The information on the web is that you can get a permit at your local post office and the PO helpfully provide a list of offices that issue them. Sadly, that is not the case. Almost all of the POs that I have tried stopped issuing them years ago. And no, I have not been able to get one on-line either. I will keep on trying and post on here if I manage to find one.

Merry Xmas to you all.

Wherenext replied on 01/01/2019 19:42

Posted on 01/01/2019 19:42

Dunclair, with regard to IDPs please note that you can only get the 1949 Convention IDP from a very small number of Post Offices and the 2 Third Parties mentioned. This will allow you to travel in Spain. However you cannot get the 1968 Convention IDP which covers France and most of the other EU (non island) countries from 1st.February but it will be available from about 2,500 P.Os and won't be available then from ths AA or RAC. Clear?

You will in effect need 2 IDPs if travelling to France and Spain or through Spain to Portugal. Each IDP will cost £5.50. Thd 1968 one will only come into force on 28th.March.

Of course all of this could change at the drop of a hat so keep your eye on things.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook