Brexit 2018 - Travelling to Europe

Dunclair replied on 24/09/2018 22:07

Posted on 24/09/2018 22:07

Regardless of where you stand on the Brexit debate, two years ago many members were saying that they would do the British thing: Keep calm and carry on regardless.

That was then and this is now. Very few, if any of us, have had any influence over the negotiations that have happened since the last thread on this subject. It now seems that we are looking into the maw of a no-deal Brexit with all of the old pre-EU checks and controls coming back into force. (Yes, I am old enough to remember them and as a young soldier posted in BAOR, experienced them more than most.)

We have also seen the value of Sterling declining and the closer we seem to get to the precipice of no-deal, the worst the exchange rate gets.

So, will you still travel to Europe in the way that you have before, or will you change your habits?

replied on 13/10/2018 14:35

Posted on 13/10/2018 14:35

Content has been removed.

Takethedogalong replied on 13/10/2018 14:59

Posted on 13/10/2018 14:59

Apologies. I hadn't realised suggesting folks don't believe all they hear and read was political, but sorry if it appears so.smile

Robbie41 replied on 14/10/2018 18:26

Posted on 14/10/2018 18:26

Content has been removed.

Tigi replied on 14/10/2018 18:50

Posted on 14/10/2018 18:50

We`ve booked to go to Spain at the end of April can`t say I`m concerned if there is s delay so be it.

Robbie41 replied on 14/10/2018 18:53

Posted on 14/10/2018 18:53

My caravan is stored in France so I will be in a quandary if all of the scaremongering takes place.  However, I am optimistic that it will be a storm in a teacup.

Spain is concerned that it will lose tourists from Great Britain, and no doubt Brittany Ferries and the Channel Tunnel will lobby behind the scenes as they will be sorely affected by any great reduction in numbers travelling to the Continent.

As far as the Pet Passport is concerned: it is mainly for return to the UK.  I have been travelling with my dogs since the inception of Passports for Pets when various bits of paper had to be carried, including a form for the foreign vet to complete for tick and tapeworm treatment.  I recall there was also a requirement for dogs to have a fitness to travel form completed by a UK vet before they could enter Spain.  Never having taken my dog to Spain I have no idea if this was enforced by the Spanish authorities.

KeithandMargaret replied on 14/10/2018 19:18

Posted on 14/10/2018 19:18

We rehoused a new dog five weeks ago and he hasn't got a Pet Passport.

After consulting him he decided he'd like one and he's booked in at the Vet on Tuesday for the Passport and the Rabies treatment - so it looks as if we shall be going as normal next year.

Le Portel beach first stop .......

JVB66 replied on 14/10/2018 19:32

Posted on 14/10/2018 19:32

According to "reports" the "transition period"could last about two years so "don't panic"is the  buzz wordsurprised

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook