Brexit 2018 - Travelling to Europe

Dunclair replied on 24/09/2018 22:07

Posted on 24/09/2018 22:07

Regardless of where you stand on the Brexit debate, two years ago many members were saying that they would do the British thing: Keep calm and carry on regardless.

That was then and this is now. Very few, if any of us, have had any influence over the negotiations that have happened since the last thread on this subject. It now seems that we are looking into the maw of a no-deal Brexit with all of the old pre-EU checks and controls coming back into force. (Yes, I am old enough to remember them and as a young soldier posted in BAOR, experienced them more than most.)

We have also seen the value of Sterling declining and the closer we seem to get to the precipice of no-deal, the worst the exchange rate gets.

So, will you still travel to Europe in the way that you have before, or will you change your habits?

Phishing replied on 24/09/2018 22:17

Posted on 24/09/2018 22:17

Travel there, I'm moving there.

Last one out turn off the lights and shut the tunnel door.

replied on 25/09/2018 06:48

Posted on 25/09/2018 06:48

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

Oneputt replied on 25/09/2018 07:10

Posted on 25/09/2018 07:10

What garbage, we already have a hard border so no difference there. Once through the port of entry no other border controls in the EU.   When on the continent prior to the common market their were borders all over the place and none of them bothered me, usually we were picked out of the queue and waved through.  

When I get back from this trip I will be applying for my new passport and I don’t expect any problems.  I will be over there next year

Don’t perpetuate the myths laughing 

replied on 25/09/2018 07:23

Posted on 25/09/2018 07:23

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

peedee replied on 25/09/2018 07:45

Posted on 25/09/2018 07:45

I have other trips planned and am not intending to use the van over there next year. By the time 2020 comes along the situation should be clarified.Until then it isn't a concern. smile

peedee

cyberyacht replied on 25/09/2018 07:58

Posted on 25/09/2018 07:58

I might just sit on my hands until after March 29th before booking the ferry, just in case the world as we know it ends. Brexit day would have been the golden wedding anniversary of my first marriage. That didn't end well. Is it a cursed date?

ValDa replied on 25/09/2018 08:04

Posted on 25/09/2018 08:04

We have little choice but to carry on as we have a house in France and can't just 'walk away'.  We can't even begin to predict what might happen so I suggest we all will just have to wait and see.  

We have a Eurotunnel Frequent Traveller account, still with four trips to use up, so we'll be have another trip this year, and then perhaps just before 'the big day' and sit it out and see what happens!cool

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook