A Good Way To Increase CL Numbers?

Johnny57 replied on 29/02/2020 20:49

Posted on 29/02/2020 20:49

As a CL one of the benefits of being with the CAMC is we can purchase simple and cheap Public Liability Insurance through the Club for the site, which made it so easy for us. As I understand it, that support (and their buying power) is now to be ended. I guess CLs will be left to fend for themselves with no doubt an increase in the premiums.
I hope this is not an example of how CAMC values their CL network! This may push some older CL owners to consider closing as they will be faced with spending more time searching around for insurers. I hope we don't see the network drop below 2200!

Tinwheeler replied on 29/02/2020 21:06

Posted on 29/02/2020 21:06

That sounds a bit strange. It would be good to hear the club's reasons for stopping this and, to that end, I’ll report your post, J57, so we can maybe get an official response. 👍🏻

Freddy55 replied on 29/02/2020 21:09

Posted on 29/02/2020 20:49 by Johnny57

As a CL one of the benefits of being with the CAMC is we can purchase simple and cheap Public Liability Insurance through the Club for the site, which made it so easy for us. As I understand it, that support (and their buying power) is now to be ended. I guess CLs will be left to fend for themselves with no doubt an increase in the premiums.
I hope this is not an example of how CAMC values their CL network! This may push some older CL owners to consider closing as they will be faced with spending more time searching around for insurers. I hope we don't see the network drop below 2200!

Posted on 29/02/2020 21:09

I get the impression that running a CL isn’t particularly profitable, given the steady decline. An increased cost, such as this, isn’t going to help. More than ever, we need to use them, or lose them.

replied on 29/02/2020 21:25

Posted on 29/02/2020 21:25

I only use CLs for 5 or 10 nights a year. I have, however used them much more in the past and I am more than happy that part of my annual CMC sub should support them

Wherenext replied on 29/02/2020 21:35

Posted on 29/02/2020 21:35

"Stand alone" Public Liability Insurance can be very expensive as Insurers charge minimum premiums.

Can you not get together as a group and negotiate a discounted rate? Don't know what timescale you've been given to sort out your own cover. Do all CLs pay on one certain renewal date? If so a decent insurance broker may be able to negotiate a group discount if they are allowed access to the CL owners list. 

Obviously some owners can simply add it on to any existing cover they may have, such as farmers or pubs etc.

Very dismaying news though that the club seem to be making life more difficult for CL owners.

nelliethehooker replied on 29/02/2020 21:47

Posted on 29/02/2020 21:47

It would be good if a representative of the "club" could either deny the fact or if confirming it  they would explain the reason behind the decision..... although I don't imagine for a minute that we'll get any sort of meaningful response from them, as is the usual case. However I'm sure JVB will be able to put a good case for the CC's decision whatever it is.

JVB66 replied on 01/03/2020 09:22

Posted on 29/02/2020 20:49 by Johnny57

Posted on 01/03/2020 09:22

I have reported your post, in the hope of some one responsible for this latest poor decision, which I am sure it seems,   will not have been given much thought to the long term consequences on the CL network, which in some cases,  will mean the contraction rather than expansion of the CL portfolio, with  , as club sites,  costs are ever increasingundecided,

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook