It's a bit unfair

malc116 replied on 20/07/2021 18:11

Posted on 20/07/2021 18:11

I have been a club member for some years now and I am growing more and more frustrated with the ongoing situation of members block booking different sites for the same dates and failing to turn up. I know the club does not charge a booking fee and long may this continue but to block book sites on the same date and then fail to turn up at the site has seen an increase of fully booked sites when in reality they would have spare pitches.  If only members would do the decent thing by cancelling any other bookings made for that date. This is especially evident around bank holidays and Easter. Now that the club is fully open and we all wish to get away from this awful lock down, I wish to ask all members to do the right thing and cancel any unused bookings that they do not need. I am sure that if the club were to start charging a booking (non refundable) fees this situation would end overnight. Thank you in advance.

Moderator Comment - Malc, posts like this should really be posted in the discussion area so I have moved it for you.

replied on 21/07/2021 12:44

Posted on 21/07/2021 12:44

Content has been removed.

DavidKlyne replied on 21/07/2021 12:46

Posted on 21/07/2021 12:46

Normally the argument against booking a year in advance comes from those who have work commitments that don't allow them to easily  plan so far ahead. Last year and this, there has been a new dimension called COVID. There will be those who will book and be dammed and those of a more cautious nature who will want to wait and see how things are panning out before booking. I could be wrong but I wonder if the OP fits into the latter category? We have not booked that far ahead for that very reason. We have one more booking for August but currently none beyond that as we are waiting to see how things develop. We have just come back from a three site tour, two of them Club sites. Both pretty full from my observation, maybe the odd night with an empty pitch here and there. 

We debate this subject on a regular basis and I think it fair to say no one has come up  with an earth shattering idea that would solve the problem that we could all agree with? The current systems seems to work well for many but others are frustrated by it. We could go to a deposit system but having lived with the current system for so long would that not be more divisive than leaving things as they are. Most of us remember the "Great Debate" on the name change where we had people coming to the forum to complain, most of whom we not seen since!!! Probably the sensible idea would be for the Club to survey all members to get a feel for where true feeling on this lay. It could then decide whether its a case of a few tweaks or wholesale change. Whatever changes might be proposed have to be fairly simple and easy to understand.

David

eurortraveller replied on 21/07/2021 13:14

Posted on 21/07/2021 11:34 by Cornersteady

For someone who says he doesn't use club sites and won't you do appear to keep a good eye on availability, and keen to point it out. That means 5 fives are full.

But Devon and Cornwall always have vacancies due to their location? Are non club sites full? I would think occupancy rates are more important than having every club site full? 

Posted on 21/07/2021 13:14

I don’t know whether non Club sites are full, but Cornwall certainly is, so they are staying somewhere.

Cornersteady replied on 21/07/2021 15:03

Posted on 21/07/2021 13:14 by eurortraveller

I don’t know whether non Club sites are full, but Cornwall certainly is, so they are staying somewhere.

Posted on 21/07/2021 15:03

I assume so, or could be day trippers? Either way the occupancy rates will be of more interest to the club.

replied on 21/07/2021 15:20

Posted on 21/07/2021 12:16 by Cornersteady

but are easy for those who can't be bothered to look elsewhere - I assume you include yourself here? 

But no I disagree, this is somewhat like the club sites are full because people don't know there are better sites out there line. Both are a little insulting in my view to the thousands who use club sites. Perhaps they do know what is out there and perhaps indeed have looked elsewhere and found that club sites are exactly what they want? I give club sites users more credit in choosing a site that is best for them?  

Posted on 21/07/2021 15:20

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

Eric Delamere replied on 22/07/2021 10:40

Posted on 22/07/2021 10:40

My frustration is with members who book weekend after weekend after weekend which effectively books out any chance members have of being able to book a whole week or more as an actual holiday, rather than just a weekend. Just search for the whole months availability on many sites, especially the very popular sites and you will see what I mean.

I feel that there should be a maximum number of bookings allowed by any one member in the hope that it might reduce this self centred approach by some!

moulesy replied on 22/07/2021 10:52

Posted on 22/07/2021 10:40 by Eric Delamere

My frustration is with members who book weekend after weekend after weekend which effectively books out any chance members have of being able to book a whole week or more as an actual holiday, rather than just a weekend. Just search for the whole months availability on many sites, especially the very popular sites and you will see what I mean.

I feel that there should be a maximum number of bookings allowed by any one member in the hope that it might reduce this self centred approach by some!

Posted on 22/07/2021 10:52

Just playing devil's advocate for a moment, why is it more "self centred" for working members to book, say 7 weekends during the year, than retired folk booking a whole fortnight? They are both paying the club for 14 nights stay?  undecided

Edit - if, indeed that is what is happening. Fully booked weekends do not necessarily mean it's the same members booking every one for reasons which have been discussed exhaustively before now.

Tinwheeler replied on 22/07/2021 11:14

Posted on 22/07/2021 10:40 by Eric Delamere

Posted on 22/07/2021 11:14

As Moulesy said, it's not necessarily the same people booking every weekend. An awful lot of people are only able to get away at weekends and if each books 1 or 2 breaks, it soon adds up to full sites at weekends and isn't at all self centred. Whichever way you look at it, there's a need to be the early bird when booking and that's particularly true this year. 

As for a limit on the number of bookings, consider the effect of that on someone booking a tour of, say, a month and planning to spend just 2 or 3 nights on each site.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook