It's a bit unfair

malc116 replied on 20/07/2021 18:11

Posted on 20/07/2021 18:11

I have been a club member for some years now and I am growing more and more frustrated with the ongoing situation of members block booking different sites for the same dates and failing to turn up. I know the club does not charge a booking fee and long may this continue but to block book sites on the same date and then fail to turn up at the site has seen an increase of fully booked sites when in reality they would have spare pitches.  If only members would do the decent thing by cancelling any other bookings made for that date. This is especially evident around bank holidays and Easter. Now that the club is fully open and we all wish to get away from this awful lock down, I wish to ask all members to do the right thing and cancel any unused bookings that they do not need. I am sure that if the club were to start charging a booking (non refundable) fees this situation would end overnight. Thank you in advance.

Moderator Comment - Malc, posts like this should really be posted in the discussion area so I have moved it for you.

replied on 22/07/2021 11:29

Posted on 22/07/2021 10:40 by Eric Delamere

My frustration is with members who book weekend after weekend after weekend which effectively books out any chance members have of being able to book a whole week or more as an actual holiday, rather than just a weekend. Just search for the whole months availability on many sites, especially the very popular sites and you will see what I mean.

I feel that there should be a maximum number of bookings allowed by any one member in the hope that it might reduce this self centred approach by some!

Posted on 22/07/2021 11:29

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

Cornersteady replied on 22/07/2021 12:10

My frustration is with members who book weekend after weekend after weekend which effectively books out any chance members have of being able to book a whole week or more as an actual holiday, rather than just a weekend. Just search for the whole months availability on many sites, especially the very popular sites and you will see what I mean.

I feel that there should be a maximum number of bookings allowed by any one member in the hope that it might reduce this self centred approach by some!

Posted on 22/07/2021 12:10

I don't think it's self centred at all, no more than someone booking the max stay on a site then moving to another for another max stay and thereby stopping those who work having weekends.

When I worked I booked weekends, quite a few (and I turned up for them) what is wrong with that? I pay the same subscription as everyone else, so why should one section of the membership have more rights than others?

Also, as been pointed out before (was it TDA?) just because weekends are full it doesn't mean that is is only 'weekenders'. When we booked a week or more, we would arrive on the Friday/Saturday and to make the most of our time away we would leave on the Sunday.

The thing is club sites are popular and as said the only way to get a pitch is to book early.

SteveL replied on 22/07/2021 15:26

Posted on 22/07/2021 15:26

What number would you suggest, we have 13 CAMC bookings in September / early October alone. As well as several C&CC. Some of those will of course be weekends or parts of weekends. I fail to see how putting together a tour is self centred. It is after all a touring club.

If a restriction was bought in the club would loose my custom, as I would look elsewhere. This year it probably wouldn’t matter to them, as they would easily fill the vacancies. However, once we get back to folk being able to holiday over there, the sites will be much less crowded out of season.

Dawn F replied on 22/07/2021 15:55

Posted on 22/07/2021 15:55

I still get frustrated when people post this same thing over and over

As it has been said you can't book more than one site for a date the system will not let you

There are lots of reasons there are available pitches on sites, especially during a pandemic when lots of sites have had reduced capacity to keep us all safe

My real problem is a club that encourages new members with incentives when they can't give the existing members the availability we deserve.

More pitches and sites is what we need and better value for money

SteveL replied on 22/07/2021 16:02

Posted on 22/07/2021 16:02

There are lots of reasons there are available pitches on sites, especially during a pandemic when lots of sites have had reduced capacity to keep us all safe

I don’t recall any reduced capacity at the sites we used last September and this May / June. They were all 90% or more full every night.  Well except for Culloden as they couldn’t open the facilities there. 

Rufs replied on 22/07/2021 17:14

Posted on 22/07/2021 17:14

Cant think of anything worse than sitting for hours on end logged on to the CAMC booking site hoping for a cxlation, so that you can have a holiday, perhaps somebody could suggest that within the software they build in a facility to send you a text when a pitch becomes available as a result of a cxlation, and perhaps that is why i never use club sites and have never had difficulty finding alternative sites, mainly because i never tour during peak season July/August. laughing

Rizzas replied on 22/07/2021 17:24

Posted on 22/07/2021 17:24

It would appear despite you being a member for a number of years that you have no understanding of the booking system.

Rufs replied on 22/07/2021 17:30

Posted on 22/07/2021 17:24 by Rizzas

It would appear despite you being a member for a number of years that you have no understanding of the booking system.

Posted on 22/07/2021 17:30

If this is aimed at me, your are quite right, cant remember last time i used it, so if it has lept into the 21st century, brilliant,laughinglook forward to maybe using it sometime in the future . 

JVB66 replied on 22/07/2021 17:35

Posted on 22/07/2021 15:55 by Dawn F

I still get frustrated when people post this same thing over and over

As it has been said you can't book more than one site for a date the system will not let you

My real problem is a club that encourages new members with incentives when they can't give the existing members the availability we deserve.

More pitches and sites is what we need and better value for money

Posted on 22/07/2021 17:35

Value for money? ; as posted before ,we had four hired motor caravans on pitches near us at FM and they were all non members so it was an extra £13per night on top of the members prices. they wished they had done it before with prices being so reasonable ,and three were going to make it a regular holiday idea ,as with their holidays it would work out much cheaper to hire and stay on cc sites than buy their motor caravanssurprised

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook