It's a bit unfair

malc116 replied on 20/07/2021 18:11

Posted on 20/07/2021 18:11

I have been a club member for some years now and I am growing more and more frustrated with the ongoing situation of members block booking different sites for the same dates and failing to turn up. I know the club does not charge a booking fee and long may this continue but to block book sites on the same date and then fail to turn up at the site has seen an increase of fully booked sites when in reality they would have spare pitches.  If only members would do the decent thing by cancelling any other bookings made for that date. This is especially evident around bank holidays and Easter. Now that the club is fully open and we all wish to get away from this awful lock down, I wish to ask all members to do the right thing and cancel any unused bookings that they do not need. I am sure that if the club were to start charging a booking (non refundable) fees this situation would end overnight. Thank you in advance.

Moderator Comment - Malc, posts like this should really be posted in the discussion area so I have moved it for you.

Takethedogalong replied on 21/07/2021 10:26

Posted on 21/07/2021 10:26

Spot on M. The Club won’t care if John Smith of Eccles, or Jane Doe of Dartmouth, books but then cancels a few dates, providing it is within the allotted cancellation timespan. What the Club is concerned with is simply getting A Member onto as many pitches as possible to maximise Site income. Doesn’t matter if A Member books a year in advance, or picks up a late cancellation two days before arrival, so long as A Member turns up on Site unless cancelled properly.

I don’t worry about seeing a few empty pitches during my visit. There will be a reason for it, one which the Club doesn’t have to impart to every single Member who feels that they should be informed. We have all heard the mainly anecdotal shenanigans that “a friend of a friend saw on TwitFace”.

If you want a particular date, place, particularly at these ultra busy times, you simply have to be very organised, fully understand how the Club’s very generous booking system works, and be grateful that it is such a good, no deposit, easy cancel system in these still difficult times.

Not criticising Malc’s opening post, just pointing out that understanding fully how the booking system operates is important.šŸ™‚

Cornersteady replied on 21/07/2021 10:32

Posted on 21/07/2021 08:36 by mickysf

šŸ‘ Understood and we obviously are singing from same hymn sheet. Hopefully the OP now has his understanding of what is/what isnā€™t possible and associated issues refined. Which, I guess is the purpose of many posts on this forum. I know my understand of many issues have been helped by fellow members greatly over the years. There are many myths and ā€˜fake assumptionsā€™ still out there.

Posted on 21/07/2021 10:32

Yes there are +1. This block booking myth being one of them. At the AGM:

Can Club explore options to restrict block bookings eg, max number of pre-bookings, max of penalty free cancellations, etc as opposed to deposits.

Whilst there are many thousands of cancellations and amendments each year, the
vast majority of these are made by the vast majority of members, ie not simply made
by a minority of members making high volumes of bookings (so called block bookers).

Takethedogalong replied on 21/07/2021 10:46

Posted on 21/07/2021 10:46

I spent a working lifetime managing bookable finite resources. It’s simply impossible to micro manage each unit in terms of communication usage to each customer, no matter how aggrieved or upset they might be. The variables are many, even with computers it is quite an onerous task, and you quickly learn that no matter how much information is given to visitors, if that information doesn’t correspond to their thoughts, many will simply not believe it.
For any business, it’s not about who particularly is using that unit, it’s about how much income and value for money that unit is returning. Most businesses have some form of penalty for repeated no shows, or (as in the case of very, very busy restaurants) it might be you pay the price up front. The Club will know exactly how it needs to manage no shows, and hasn’t at this point chosen to impose deposits on the vast majority of its honourable customers, which is still a very popular unique selling point.

peedee replied on 21/07/2021 10:50

Posted on 21/07/2021 10:50

What the Club does not know is how many, on seeing a site fully booked, simply go elsewhere. I have done it three times so far this year which has resulted in the Club losing 17 days bookings from me.

peedee

moulesy replied on 21/07/2021 10:55

Posted on 21/07/2021 10:50 by peedee

What the Club does not know is how many, on seeing a site fully booked, simply go elsewhere. I have done it three times so far this year which has resulted in the Club losing 17 days bookings from me.

peedee

Posted on 21/07/2021 10:55

I always got the impression that you were never that keen on booking club sites anyway, PD? undecided

peedee replied on 21/07/2021 11:08

Posted on 21/07/2021 10:55 by moulesy

I always got the impression that you were never that keen on booking club sites anyway, PD? undecided

Posted on 21/07/2021 11:08

I do use them if available but I am not wedded to them. As foreign travel is no longer safe in my eyes, I expect the majority of my days away this year to be on C&MC sites.

peedee

JVB66 replied on 21/07/2021 11:08

Posted on 21/07/2021 10:50 by peedee

peedee

Posted on 21/07/2021 11:08

Do not fret some one will ring the site to inquire. and take your17dayscool

peedee replied on 21/07/2021 11:13

Posted on 21/07/2021 11:08 by JVB66

Do not fret some one will ring the site to inquire. and take your17dayscool

Posted on 21/07/2021 11:13

They had better keep an eye on the two Cornish sites I have booked then, I may yet cancel them.

peedee

moulesy replied on 21/07/2021 11:21

Posted on 21/07/2021 11:08 by peedee

I do use them if available but I am not wedded to them. As foreign travel is no longer safe in my eyes, I expect the majority of my days away this year to be on C&MC sites.

peedee

Posted on 21/07/2021 11:21

Understandable - it does seem that club sites seem to be the sites of choice for many unable to travel overseas this year! wink

eurortraveller replied on 21/07/2021 11:23

Posted on 21/07/2021 11:13 by peedee

They had better keep an eye on the two Cornish sites I have booked then, I may yet cancel them.

peedee

Posted on 21/07/2021 11:23

Oh no, don’t you cancel as well.  15 out of 20Devon and Cornwall sites have vacancies already for the full week ahead and it’s peak season.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook