It's a bit unfair

malc116 replied on 20/07/2021 18:11

Posted on 20/07/2021 18:11

I have been a club member for some years now and I am growing more and more frustrated with the ongoing situation of members block booking different sites for the same dates and failing to turn up. I know the club does not charge a booking fee and long may this continue but to block book sites on the same date and then fail to turn up at the site has seen an increase of fully booked sites when in reality they would have spare pitches.  If only members would do the decent thing by cancelling any other bookings made for that date. This is especially evident around bank holidays and Easter. Now that the club is fully open and we all wish to get away from this awful lock down, I wish to ask all members to do the right thing and cancel any unused bookings that they do not need. I am sure that if the club were to start charging a booking (non refundable) fees this situation would end overnight. Thank you in advance.

Moderator Comment - Malc, posts like this should really be posted in the discussion area so I have moved it for you.

replied on 21/07/2021 07:44

Posted on 21/07/2021 07:44

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

mickysf replied on 21/07/2021 08:03

Posted on 20/07/2021 22:51 by Cornersteady

While it may be perfectly possible to 'block book' as suggested upthread, according to the club that does not happen in practice. 

Posted on 21/07/2021 08:03

Although it is not possible to block book different sites for the same period, the system will only allow one booking per membership no. it is possible to make multiple bookings for different dates. I see nothing wrong with this as long as people use or relinquish these in order that others may take advantage of the vacancy the latter creates. However, although within the ‘rules’ those perpetual booking and later cancellations should somehow be monitored and discouraged in my opinion as currently no shows are. I do appreciate though that this ability is welcomed by some and helps, in part, to drip feed vacancies back into the system at later dates.

eurortraveller replied on 21/07/2021 08:12

Posted on 21/07/2021 08:12

Shortage of facts so I can’t comment.  How many “no shows” are there ? - those with reservations who simply don’t turn up. Restaurants are plagued with the problem. Are there any hard facts about this for Club sites? 

mickysf replied on 21/07/2021 08:18

Posted on 21/07/2021 08:12 by eurortraveller

Shortage of facts so I can’t comment.  How many “no shows” are there ? - those with reservations who simply don’t turn up. Restaurants are plagued with the problem. Are there any hard facts about this for Club sites? 

Posted on 21/07/2021 08:18

Don’t know the nos. but we know that a warning and, if repeated, suspension of future booking and, in extreme cases, cancellation of membership can follow. I suspect the percentages will be low as a result mind as the vast majority of us actually enjoy our days away and, dare I say, being ‘members’!😱👍

Cornersteady replied on 21/07/2021 08:20

Posted on 21/07/2021 08:03 by mickysf

Although it is not possible to block book different sites for the same period, the system will only allow one booking per membership no. it is possible to make multiple bookings for different dates. I see nothing wrong with this as long as people use or relinquish these in order that others may take advantage of the vacancy the latter creates. However, although within the ‘rules’ those perpetual booking and later cancellations should somehow be monitored and discouraged in my opinion as currently no shows are. I do appreciate though that this ability is welcomed by some and helps, in part, to drip feed vacancies back into the system at later dates.

Posted on 21/07/2021 08:20

I think we're at cross purposes here micky? yes I was saying it is possible to make multiple bookings for different dates, what is sometimes called block booking. But my post stated that according to the club while this is possible it does not happen in practice.

If they can say that then they must be monitoring that aspect in addition the three strikes rule as you said above?

mickysf replied on 21/07/2021 08:36

Posted on 21/07/2021 08:20 by Cornersteady

I think we're at cross purposes here micky? yes I was saying it is possible to make multiple bookings for different dates, what is sometimes called block booking. But my post stated that according to the club while this is possible it does not happen in practice.

If they can say that then they must be monitoring that aspect in addition the three strikes rule as you said above?

Posted on 21/07/2021 08:36

👍 Understood and we obviously are singing from same hymn sheet. Hopefully the OP now has his understanding of what is/what isn’t possible and associated issues refined. Which, I guess is the purpose of many posts on this forum. I know my understand of many issues have been helped by fellow members greatly over the years. There are many myths and ‘fake assumptions’ still out there.

young thomas replied on 21/07/2021 09:29

Posted on 20/07/2021 21:58 by JollyKernow

Perfectly within the current rules BB as well you and the majority of members know. Why feel the need to highlight it?

Posted on 21/07/2021 09:29

im just posting to Malc who may have misunderstood the combinations that the booking system allows or doesnt allow, and what might be causing the 'effect' he is posting about.

the ability to hold and then dump bookings (without deposits) at the drop of a hat is oft regarded as a club USP...and doing this for a 'honeypot' over a few weeks will certainly help someone get there when they've organised diaries nearer the time.

weve seen many 'complaining' posts where folk have waitied untill they've been able to agree work rotas before looking for a specific location but by which time all the popular sites get booked...

having a few pitches come back on the system a couple of days ahead of the original date is no good at all for someone who will have had to choose another site or date.

agreed, no problem (as usual) for us retired folk who can pick up a cancellation at short notice...not so useful for those who have to get working diaries sorted well in advance. 

are you saying its off limits to 'highlight' how the system works?

i dont see the reason for your 'chastising' post. 

mickysf replied on 21/07/2021 09:43

Posted on 20/07/2021 21:58 by JollyKernow

Perfectly within the current rules BB as well you and the majority of members know. Why feel the need to highlight it?

Posted on 21/07/2021 09:43

With a majority comes a minority, I do suppose it helps the understanding of the latter. No bad thing I guess, JK. 👍

moulesy replied on 21/07/2021 09:47

Posted on 21/07/2021 09:47

Over the years of CT there have been a number of posts suggesting that friends of friends of members have heard them openly admitting to book site after site after site for the year ahead and then "dumping" unwanted ones.

The club say this is monitored,  relatively uncommon, less than when deposits were taken (when there were also more complete "no shows") and action taken on the small number of occasions when the system was clearly being abused.

Without actual figures, none of us can say for certain, but I think we have to assume that the business managers at the club are savvy enough to regard this as at an "acceptable" level.

young thomas replied on 21/07/2021 10:11

Posted on 21/07/2021 10:11

...its easy say one is 'monitoring bookings' (or however the club describe what they do) but id think it was not an easy task to check every cancelled booking against the original member holding to see if they had (how many?) other bookings.....for the same site on different dates?....

a) we already know that the system doesnt allow multiple bookings at the same time for different sites...

b) we also know that holding bookings for the same site (or others) for consecutive (or not) weeks is perfectly possible...

so what possible criteria can the club use to 'monitor' this situation and, more to the point, how can this monitoring produce anything meaningful if a) cant be done and b) is within the rules? 

its certainly relatively easy to report on the number of bookings and cancellations are made by each member each year....but what is level could be construed as 'playing the system'...?

....booked 10 sites, cancelled two, rebooked one?

...booked 5 sites, cancelled them all, rebooked them all?

without knowing each member's circumstances, whats 'normal' for one member might be exceptional for another...but in either case, provided the bookings are managed within the system and its rules, why should anyone need 'monitoring'.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook