It's a bit unfair

malc116 replied on 20/07/2021 18:11

Posted on 20/07/2021 18:11

I have been a club member for some years now and I am growing more and more frustrated with the ongoing situation of members block booking different sites for the same dates and failing to turn up. I know the club does not charge a booking fee and long may this continue but to block book sites on the same date and then fail to turn up at the site has seen an increase of fully booked sites when in reality they would have spare pitches.  If only members would do the decent thing by cancelling any other bookings made for that date. This is especially evident around bank holidays and Easter. Now that the club is fully open and we all wish to get away from this awful lock down, I wish to ask all members to do the right thing and cancel any unused bookings that they do not need. I am sure that if the club were to start charging a booking (non refundable) fees this situation would end overnight. Thank you in advance.

Moderator Comment - Malc, posts like this should really be posted in the discussion area so I have moved it for you.

Tinwheeler replied on 20/07/2021 18:18

Posted on 20/07/2021 18:18

Malc, you misunderstand. It is not possible to book more than one site for the same date. The system will not let you.

If you are finding sites booked ahead of you, it means others are beating you to booking.

If you are finding empty pitches on sites shown as full, it means people have cancelled for any number of reasons, or additional pitches have been released following repair etc.

JVB66 replied on 20/07/2021 18:25

Posted on 20/07/2021 18:25

If you think some members block book the same site ,try doing a booking for the same dates on variable sites the system will not accept more than one booking for other sites from your membership number

And as posted there are many reasons pitches become available at short notice

malc116 replied on 20/07/2021 18:27

Posted on 20/07/2021 18:27

Hi Tinwheeler,

Many thanks for clearing that up for me. I do understand that members fail to turn up for all sorts of reasons,its just a bit frustrating when attending a site that is supposedly fully booked and seeing loads of empty pitches.

Tinwheeler replied on 20/07/2021 21:03

Posted on 20/07/2021 18:27 by malc116

Hi Tinwheeler,

Many thanks for clearing that up for me. I do understand that members fail to turn up for all sorts of reasons,its just a bit frustrating when attending a site that is supposedly fully booked and seeing loads of empty pitches.

Posted on 20/07/2021 21:03

As I said, that could be for any number of reasons and we can’t read anything into it. 

Incidentally, when the club stopped taking deposits, they said the number of no shows dropped.

young thomas replied on 20/07/2021 21:19

Posted on 20/07/2021 21:19

however, Malc, its perfectly possible when dates are released (a year in advance) for members to book the same (or different) site for several weeks in succession, covering (say) next years 'holiday period' and then dump all bar one once the 'family arrangements' have been agreed and weather forecast checked.

JollyKernow replied on 20/07/2021 21:58

Posted on 20/07/2021 21:58

Perfectly within the current rules BB as well you and the majority of members know. Why feel the need to highlight it?

redface replied on 20/07/2021 22:15

Posted on 20/07/2021 22:15

One Cl owner recently told me that she had 3 vacancies due to caravanners suddenly get a call to Hospital as their long awaited operation became unexpectedly available.

Long may the 12 month booking slots remain, after all one does have to plan the Spring, Summer or Autumn break and the relative sites..

mickysf replied on 20/07/2021 22:16

Posted on 20/07/2021 22:16

Let’s thank our lucky stars that the airline practice of deliberately overbooking places is not adopted. Can you imagine being ‘bumped down’ on arrival at a site even when a financial incentive is being offered.

Some apparently empty pitches I’m sure are unfortunately inevitable.

Cornersteady replied on 20/07/2021 22:51

Posted on 20/07/2021 22:51

While it may be perfectly possible to 'block book' as suggested upthread, according to the club that does not happen in practice. 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook