2030 - No new ICE cars to be sold

NutsyH replied on 19/11/2020 10:56

Posted on 19/11/2020 10:56

What is the Club's position on this announcement?

It sounds the death knell for towing anything like a decent size caravan unless reasonably priced electric cars capable of towing over 200 miles without recharge suddenly appear, and the recharging infrastructure expands rapidly. Given the incompetence of most politicians that is unlikely to happen.

Or do we think this is just another of Bojo's announcements that will quietly be forgotten when it becomes clear that there is no chance of this happening by 2030?

Perhaps the Club could enlighten us on whether it is engaging with the Government, as it is abundantly clear that no thought has been given to this issue by the Politicos.

JVB66 replied on 20/11/2020 18:25

Posted on 20/11/2020 18:15 by SeasideBill

Yep, electricity generation and distribution is the business to be in. Whether charging your car, running your heat pump or cooking your dinner, electric will be all there is, beyond a few niche power products.  If there’s not much competition or alternative, why would anybody want to offer a subsidy?

Posted on 20/11/2020 18:25

Now is getting near to the time when national grid should come fully under HMG control which may help to reduce the drain on our taxes as at present in the subsidies we still paysurprised

DavidKlyne replied on 20/11/2020 20:51

Posted on 20/11/2020 17:46 by SeasideBill

Whichever way you look at it, conventional plug in type charging sourced from solar, grid or wherever, can never be adequate for a world without ICE vehicles. The only solution that could work at scale is charging strips built into roads. The technology isn’t 100% there yet, but the sort of technology we use to wireless charge our electric toothbrush or mobile phones will probably provide the basis of the solution. Static charging by parking over a pad has already been demonstrated to work - maybe that’s what we’ll see longer-term at campsites & aires?

Posted on 20/11/2020 20:51

That sort of charging is already here. Electric bus charging in Milton Keynes

David

hitchglitch replied on 20/11/2020 21:08

Posted on 20/11/2020 21:08

Apart from the general lack of knowledge about EVs and the usual repetition of misinformation it concerns me that people cannot seem to think in terms of what might be available in 10 years time. Range has increased massively in five years. My i3 has around double the range for very little increase in size/weight from when the car was first introduced. Costs are coming down and will fall even more as mass production ramps up. Major Uk companies are already switching delivery vans to electric. Not many people have a petrol station at home so why the obsession with home charging?

What we see now is just a glimpse of the future. It may not pan out entirely as planned but car manufacturers obviously think it will as they are investing billions.

If you drive an EV you will soon come to realise how noisy, polluting and inefficient combustion engines are and wonder how we put up with them for so long. Fear not, by 2030 you will have electric cars perfectly capable of towing your caravan and I fully expect that for motorhome owners like me there will be battery powered alternatives or, perhaps, Hydrogen.

SeasideBill replied on 20/11/2020 21:17

Posted on 20/11/2020 20:51 by DavidKlyne

That sort of charging is already here. Electric bus charging in Milton Keynes

David

Posted on 20/11/2020 21:17

Yep, they just need to figure out how to reliably do that for thousands of vehicles simultaneously in motion all using the same induction charging system over a significant part of the UK road network. I would be fairly confident about that. Home charging will become an unnecessary inconvenience for most.

Santa replied on 20/11/2020 21:24

Posted on 20/11/2020 21:24

I have just seen the news about the Tesla that crashed in America ,destroyed the car set fire two trees  and two houses on fire from battery part s when it exploded and the front wheel hit an apartment wall so hard it burst the water pipes. No studies electric car battery's safety. It was doing 100 miles an hour

SeasideBill replied on 20/11/2020 21:26

Posted on 20/11/2020 21:24 by Santa

I have just seen the news about the Tesla that crashed in America ,destroyed the car set fire two trees  and two houses on fire from battery part s when it exploded and the front hit an apartment wall so hard it burst the water pipes. No studies electric car battery's safety

Posted on 20/11/2020 21:26

Any car can do that, getting out of bed in the morning is dangerous.

Tinwheeler replied on 20/11/2020 21:49

Posted on 20/11/2020 21:24 by Santa

I have just seen the news about the Tesla that crashed in America ,destroyed the car set fire two trees  and two houses on fire from battery part s when it exploded and the front wheel hit an apartment wall so hard it burst the water pipes. No studies electric car battery's safety. It was doing 100 miles an hour

Posted on 20/11/2020 21:49

America always does thing bigger, faster, louder than everywhere else.😀

cyberyacht replied on 21/11/2020 09:41

Posted on 21/11/2020 09:41

Given the obvious massive increase in demand for electricity, I am surprised that legislation has not yet been introduced requiring all new build housing/ warehouse distribution premises to have solar roofs and existing commercial premises with roofs in excess of say 200sqM to install within 5/10 years.

Takethedogalong replied on 21/11/2020 09:50

Posted on 21/11/2020 09:50

I find it astonishing that solar panels are not fitted to all new build, domestic and commercial, as standard to be honest. Seems like a no brainier to me. Could have been ongoing for years, all helping to commit to green energy. Suppose no one is making enough money out of it though.......

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 21/11/2020 10:04

Posted on 21/11/2020 09:50 by Takethedogalong

I find it astonishing that solar panels are not fitted to all new build, domestic and commercial, as standard to be honest. Seems like a no brainier to me. Could have been ongoing for years, all helping to commit to green energy. Suppose no one is making enough money out of it though.......

Posted on 21/11/2020 10:04

Due to-£££Ker-ching🤷🏻‍♂️. Why give you something that can be sold to you later👍🏻. If the Govt(any Govt) was truly committed they wouldn’t have bailed from the support for subsidised solar panel fitting. I’d fully be onboard for a domestic wind turbine too in my garden👍🏻

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook