2030 - No new ICE cars to be sold

NutsyH replied on 19/11/2020 10:56

Posted on 19/11/2020 10:56

What is the Club's position on this announcement?

It sounds the death knell for towing anything like a decent size caravan unless reasonably priced electric cars capable of towing over 200 miles without recharge suddenly appear, and the recharging infrastructure expands rapidly. Given the incompetence of most politicians that is unlikely to happen.

Or do we think this is just another of Bojo's announcements that will quietly be forgotten when it becomes clear that there is no chance of this happening by 2030?

Perhaps the Club could enlighten us on whether it is engaging with the Government, as it is abundantly clear that no thought has been given to this issue by the Politicos.

JVB66 replied on 21/11/2020 12:08

Posted on 21/11/2020 11:59 by Rocky 2 buckets

It was a way to help the Govt achieve their desired ‘Green goals’ they paid so much to the energy supplier & so much to the homeowner. Just like the EV’s original subsidising just like the NHS-most things are subsidised, we all pay for them👍🏻. I continue to pay into a private pension & into the state one. At some point in my life I will be denied all or part of the state pension, the Govt hasn’t pushed us into independent pensions for nothing-the state one will either be reduced or dumped in the future🤷🏻‍♂️

Posted on 21/11/2020 12:08

Private/company pensions are there to give a better? standard of living , as a supplement to the poor compared to some other countries state pensions  and to reduce those who will need to claim other benifits 

Have you looked at pension credit? that is much advised by HMG to claimundecided

DavidKlyne replied on 21/11/2020 12:25

Posted on 21/11/2020 09:41 by cyberyacht

Given the obvious massive increase in demand for electricity, I am surprised that legislation has not yet been introduced requiring all new build housing/ warehouse distribution premises to have solar roofs and existing commercial premises with roofs in excess of say 200sqM to install within 5/10 years.

Posted on 21/11/2020 12:25

Many of the earlier posts questioned where we would get the electricity from to charge all of the new EV's. Your suggestion makes a great deal of sense to me. I would rather see warehouse adorned with solar panels than fields full of them! Many new houses are built with solar panels but unless the Government require this as part of the Planning a lot of developers won't bother. I just don't understand the Government's lake of subsidy on solar panels on private houses. I have no idea how much electricity would be produced but I would guess to build a new nuclear power station it would cost a lot more in subsidies. Once in place those solar panels would be producing "free" electricity for years to come. My quid pro quo would be that whilst householders  would benefit from the generated electricity any excess would go back into the national grid which would then help payback the original subsidy.

David

Takethedogalong replied on 21/11/2020 12:33

Posted on 21/11/2020 12:33

I think one underlying issue is the abysmal quality of the new build homes now being thrown up, many lacking quality “breathability” solutions,  and a basic lack of understanding on such by those buying them. We have family in new builds, and the issues they have compared with our much older property is startling. Anything designed and built needs to be fit for purpose, be that living comfortably, surviving economically and in this day and age, making a green contribution.

Same goes for caravans and motorhomes.....

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 21/11/2020 12:37

Posted on 21/11/2020 12:08 by JVB66

Private/company pensions are there to give a better? standard of living , as a supplement to the poor compared to some other countries state pensions  and to reduce those who will need to claim other benifits 

Have you looked at pension credit? that is much advised by HMG to claimundecided

Posted on 21/11/2020 12:37

Pension credit?, why would I look at it?🤔. I took out a private pension to ensure a good standard of living way before my official pension age. I won’t claim for anything I don’t need👍🏻

Compo replied on 21/11/2020 12:39

Posted on 21/11/2020 11:59 by Rocky 2 buckets

It was a way to help the Govt achieve their desired ‘Green goals’ they paid so much to the energy supplier & so much to the homeowner. Just like the EV’s original subsidising just like the NHS-most things are subsidised, we all pay for them👍🏻. I continue to pay into a private pension & into the state one. At some point in my life I will be denied all or part of the state pension, the Govt hasn’t pushed us into independent pensions for nothing-the state one will either be reduced or dumped in the future🤷🏻‍♂️

Posted on 21/11/2020 12:39

Over the past 8 months or so, things have changed considerably in this country regarding the economy. I am sure that I am already going to have to pay a lot more for all the things that you say are already subsidised. I would just ask for you to be a little patient and see how we get on with paying for these things first before you ask for me to commit to paying for other peoples electricity as well. In the meantime there are already things that people can do which would help to save the planet. When I make a cup of tea I only boil enough water for one cup. Turn lights off when not required. etc .It is surprising how much money and electricity this saves.

SeasideBill replied on 21/11/2020 12:41

Posted on 21/11/2020 12:25 by DavidKlyne

Many of the earlier posts questioned where we would get the electricity from to charge all of the new EV's. Your suggestion makes a great deal of sense to me. I would rather see warehouse adorned with solar panels than fields full of them! Many new houses are built with solar panels but unless the Government require this as part of the Planning a lot of developers won't bother. I just don't understand the Government's lake of subsidy on solar panels on private houses. I have no idea how much electricity would be produced but I would guess to build a new nuclear power station it would cost a lot more in subsidies. Once in place those solar panels would be producing "free" electricity for years to come. My quid pro quo would be that whilst householders  would benefit from the generated electricity any excess would go back into the national grid which would then help payback the original subsidy.

David

Posted on 21/11/2020 12:41

With retrofit solar panels, there’s always the consideration, should you fund the installation yourself (expensive, long pay-back) or rent your roof to others who’ll bear the initial and maintenance costs, albeit with a legal charge on part of your property. Most commercial properties are not owned by the occupants, therefore there is little incentive for landlords to install unless the occupants will pay a premium- why would they?

In the case of ownership by the occupier, there can be legal complications should they decide to sell as the prospective purchasers may not like the conditions agreed with whoever has a legal right to use the roof space for an agreed (usually extensive) period.  Not insurmountable, but not conducive to incentivising solar installation.

replied on 21/11/2020 12:42

Posted on 21/11/2020 11:56 by JVB66

Our local LA in the guise of a "housing trust?about 10years ago fitted solar panels to some of their stock, and some owners used the same company to have them installed, it seems they are on a 25yr contract with it seems , an off shoot of one of the big energy companies who "subsidised?" them

When one of the private owners had a problem with their roof leaking,it was nearly two year of trying to get anyone to accept it was a faulty fitting of the panels that was the cause ,

It has been noted recently that several of the council stock with panels have scaffolding on the panels side  yet to find out why ,but of no interest to us ,but may ask if i see any tenants

Ps do the panels need cleaning to keep them from losing their effectiveness with the ammount of polution noted when it rains on most glass

Posted on 21/11/2020 12:42

I understand that the glass used is supposed to be self cleaning.

Rufs replied on 21/11/2020 13:03

Posted on 21/11/2020 11:13 by Compo

It's always easy to spend other peoples money. If you want to have solar panels or a wind turbine, by all means have it, but please don't try to get me to pay for it for you. If you think it's a good investment, I'm sure you will invest in it.

Posted on 21/11/2020 13:03

Invested in solar panels some 5 years ago, just before the government stopped what is commonly known as the "feed in Tarriff" total investment £5k, total return today approx £1k per annum, and my feed in tarriff contract has another 15 years to run.

As for all those shouting for the demise of the ICE, they should take a long hard look at how cobalt is mined in the Democratic Republic of the Congo.

Cobalt is one of the primary components of Lithium Batteries. Cobalt today is more valuable than gold, the DRC produces 2 thirds of the worlds demand, the conditions in the Cobalt mining industry are appalling with children as young as 10 being used in terrible working conditions. There is a move away from using Cobalt but experts reckon it could be 10 years or more before a suitable substitute is rolled out globaly 

Rufs replied on 21/11/2020 13:07

Posted on 21/11/2020 12:42 by

I understand that the glass used is supposed to be self cleaning.

Posted on 21/11/2020 13:07

they are, but it has to rain very hard to get rid of seagull poo, I live in a bungalow so i can clean mine from a pair of steps and the telescopic brush i use to clean the caravan, all you need is clean water, no detergent, cleaned mine once in 5 years, window cleaners will do it they charge £50 - £80 .

I think cleaning them increases performance but it is only marginal, unless of course all the pains are covered in seagull poolaughing

Rufs replied on 21/11/2020 13:15

Posted on 21/11/2020 13:15

Our local LA in the guise of a "housing trust?about 10years ago fitted solar panels to some of their stock, and some owners used the same company to have them installed, it seems they are on a 25yr contract with it seems , an off shoot of one of the big energy companies who "subsidised?" them

this was a rip off scheme whereby a company would buy your feed in tarriff contract that you have with the government.

So they offered you a fixed sum for the contract/solar panels, which they took control of and of course all the monies you would have gotten back yourself from the feed in tarriff contract for the life of the contract.

In in some cases they were only offering £5k cash for something that could be worth £20k over the life of the contract, and it also caused problems if you wanted to sell your house before the contract expires, because this company now owns your solar panels on your roof and would be getting all the money from the feed in tarriff, nightmare scenario.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook