2030 - No new ICE cars to be sold

NutsyH replied on 19/11/2020 10:56

Posted on 19/11/2020 10:56

What is the Club's position on this announcement?

It sounds the death knell for towing anything like a decent size caravan unless reasonably priced electric cars capable of towing over 200 miles without recharge suddenly appear, and the recharging infrastructure expands rapidly. Given the incompetence of most politicians that is unlikely to happen.

Or do we think this is just another of Bojo's announcements that will quietly be forgotten when it becomes clear that there is no chance of this happening by 2030?

Perhaps the Club could enlighten us on whether it is engaging with the Government, as it is abundantly clear that no thought has been given to this issue by the Politicos.

SeasideBill replied on 21/11/2020 13:16

Posted on 21/11/2020 12:42 by

I understand that the glass used is supposed to be self cleaning.

Posted on 21/11/2020 13:16

Agree about Seagulls, they’ve mastered a method of coating anything and everything with a totally impervious weatherproof coating. Must be something to do with a diet of chips & ice cream!

Compo replied on 21/11/2020 13:18

Posted on 21/11/2020 13:03 by Rufs

Invested in solar panels some 5 years ago, just before the government stopped what is commonly known as the "feed in Tarriff" total investment £5k, total return today approx £1k per annum, and my feed in tarriff contract has another 15 years to run.

As for all those shouting for the demise of the ICE, they should take a long hard look at how cobalt is mined in the Democratic Republic of the Congo.

Cobalt is one of the primary components of Lithium Batteries. Cobalt today is more valuable than gold, the DRC produces 2 thirds of the worlds demand, the conditions in the Cobalt mining industry are appalling with children as young as 10 being used in terrible working conditions. There is a move away from using Cobalt but experts reckon it could be 10 years or more before a suitable substitute is rolled out globaly 

Posted on 21/11/2020 13:18

Are you saying that the government has received a return of £1000 p.a. for their investment or you have received the return. I don't know how these subsidies work. If you are saying the government make money from them, then I take back all I have said, and suggest the government increase their subsidies. 

SeasideBill replied on 21/11/2020 13:31

Invested in solar panels some 5 years ago, just before the government stopped what is commonly known as the "feed in Tarriff" total investment £5k, total return today approx £1k per annum, and my feed in tarriff contract has another 15 years to run.

As for all those shouting for the demise of the ICE, they should take a long hard look at how cobalt is mined in the Democratic Republic of the Congo.

Cobalt is one of the primary components of Lithium Batteries. Cobalt today is more valuable than gold, the DRC produces 2 thirds of the worlds demand, the conditions in the Cobalt mining industry are appalling with children as young as 10 being used in terrible working conditions. There is a move away from using Cobalt but experts reckon it could be 10 years or more before a suitable substitute is rolled out globaly 

Posted on 21/11/2020 13:31

It’s not all doom & gloom, significant lithium deposits are known to exist in Cornwall and could lead to a revival in the local mining industry. Maybe Cornwall won’t be so dependent on Rick Stein in the future?

Rufs replied on 21/11/2020 13:45

Posted on 21/11/2020 13:18 by Compo

Are you saying that the government has received a return of £1000 p.a. for their investment or you have received the return. I don't know how these subsidies work. If you are saying the government make money from them, then I take back all I have said, and suggest the government increase their subsidies. 

Posted on 21/11/2020 13:45

NO!, in total i receive approx £1kper annum from

A. the contract i have with the government  (20 Years) known as the "Feed In tarriff", so this is dependant upon how many KW's the panels generate, which obviously depends on how much sunshine we have. The government then pays me quarterly for a percentage of the Kw power generated that they say I put back into the national grid, the remainder they assume i use to power my bungalow.

This is a very crude estimate because of course they have no idea how much power i am using, i could be using all the power i generate, the only metering is for the total power generated by the solar panels, there is no metering of how much i stuff into the national grid only a guesstimate.

B. the more the sunshines the more energy generated and i use this to power my bungalow so in turn take less power from my energy provider, i estimate this to be approx £350 per annum saving, if i was really good, I could probably save a lot more e.g. use washing machine etc when sun is at peak, but I am not that good.

so for me the sums look like this

5 years ago, capital outlay £5k

today approx £300 saving in energy cost from energy company

approx £700 from the feed in tarriff contract I have with government , approx 15 years left to run.

So i consider i have recovered my initial outlay of £5k and for 15 years will make approx £1k profit, providing nothing breaks , such as the invertor which could cost £1k to replace.

Was a no brainer for me £5k sat in an ISA 5 years ago was earning no money even less today.

I believe the government stopped the feed in tarriff contract, and a lot of solar panel installers went out of business as a result because people stopped installing solar panels undecided 

Rufs replied on 21/11/2020 13:47

Posted on 21/11/2020 13:31 by SeasideBill

It’s not all doom & gloom, significant lithium deposits are known to exist in Cornwall and could lead to a revival in the local mining industry. Maybe Cornwall won’t be so dependent on Rick Stein in the future?

Posted on 21/11/2020 13:47

Yes i watched a documentary on this not long ago, the only thing that concerned me was that production seemed to be some way down the road.undecided

JVB66 replied on 21/11/2020 14:09

Posted on 21/11/2020 12:37 by Rocky 2 buckets

Pension credit?, why would I look at it?🤔. I took out a private pension to ensure a good standard of living way before my official pension age. I won’t claim for anything I don’t need👍🏻

Posted on 21/11/2020 14:09

Very few unless on basic state pension can claim it? yet a government edit ,byway of a mail drop to it seems all those getting state pensions was encouraging every one to apply as "it is yours claim it",but as we were already having more than enough for what we needed through our pensions ,and interests,  we as by talking to numerous "pensioners"were among the many who it did not apply towink

The state pension at 65 just meant i paid more tax on the pension i had been drawing for 14 years ,(and more savings opportunitiescool

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 21/11/2020 14:21

Posted on 21/11/2020 12:39 by Compo

Over the past 8 months or so, things have changed considerably in this country regarding the economy. I am sure that I am already going to have to pay a lot more for all the things that you say are already subsidised. I would just ask for you to be a little patient and see how we get on with paying for these things first before you ask for me to commit to paying for other peoples electricity as well. In the meantime there are already things that people can do which would help to save the planet. When I make a cup of tea I only boil enough water for one cup. Turn lights off when not required. etc .It is surprising how much money and electricity this saves.

Posted on 21/11/2020 14:21

Erm🤔, I will never ask you to pay for anyone’s Power-not even your own🤷🏻‍♂️, it ain’t my concern👍🏻. We will all chip in to pay back the subsidies that have run up massive debts, it’s how it should be. We take out we put in-it’s a Hamster wheel that never ceases.

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 21/11/2020 14:25

Posted on 21/11/2020 14:25

Whereas oil & gas extraction is guilt free, not dangerous & positively good for the environment. . .Mmmm, or do I remember a little something about climate & Glodal destruction🙄

Takethedogalong replied on 21/11/2020 14:30

Posted on 21/11/2020 14:09 by JVB66

Very few unless on basic state pension can claim it? yet a government edit ,byway of a mail drop to it seems all those getting state pensions was encouraging every one to apply as "it is yours claim it",but as we were already having more than enough for what we needed through our pensions ,and interests,  we as by talking to numerous "pensioners"were among the many who it did not apply towink

The state pension at 65 just meant i paid more tax on the pension i had been drawing for 14 years ,(and more savings opportunitiescool

Posted on 21/11/2020 14:30

It’s means tested. Your weekly income has to be below a certain threshold before you are eligible. It something to keep the unlucky elderly poor from starving or freezing to death. 

Tinwheeler replied on 21/11/2020 14:45

Posted on 21/11/2020 14:09 by JVB66

Posted on 21/11/2020 14:45

The Govt made an effort to ensure pensioners did not miss out if they had the entitlement. Therefore, those drawing State Pension were mail shot to try to ensure no one slipped through the net. Obviously there'd be no point in claiming if you weren't eligible.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook