2030 - No new ICE cars to be sold

NutsyH replied on 19/11/2020 10:56

Posted on 19/11/2020 10:56

What is the Club's position on this announcement?

It sounds the death knell for towing anything like a decent size caravan unless reasonably priced electric cars capable of towing over 200 miles without recharge suddenly appear, and the recharging infrastructure expands rapidly. Given the incompetence of most politicians that is unlikely to happen.

Or do we think this is just another of Bojo's announcements that will quietly be forgotten when it becomes clear that there is no chance of this happening by 2030?

Perhaps the Club could enlighten us on whether it is engaging with the Government, as it is abundantly clear that no thought has been given to this issue by the Politicos.

Compo replied on 21/11/2020 14:47

Posted on 21/11/2020 14:21 by Rocky 2 buckets

Erm🤔, I will never ask you to pay for anyone’s Power-not even your own🤷🏻‍♂️, it ain’t my concern👍🏻. We will all chip in to pay back the subsidies that have run up massive debts, it’s how it should be. We take out we put in-it’s a Hamster wheel that never ceases.

Posted on 21/11/2020 14:47

I'm sorry, I must have read your previous post wrong. I thought you were saying that you would have solar panels and a wind turbine installed if the government contributed towards the cost.

Compo replied on 21/11/2020 15:06

Posted on 21/11/2020 15:06

With regard to ICE cars. I think someone may have already suggested that if and when we reach 2030 and if the government continue with the prohibition of the sale of new ICE cars and vans it may well be that the value of second hand ones will increase rather than decrease. If someone can't buy a new one and they are determined to still use one, the only alternative is to either keep what they have or buy second hand. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Rufs replied on 21/11/2020 15:16

Posted on 21/11/2020 14:25 by Rocky 2 buckets

Whereas oil & gas extraction is guilt free, not dangerous & positively good for the environment. . .Mmmm, or do I remember a little something about climate & Glodal destruction🙄

Posted on 21/11/2020 15:16

Never said that oil & gas extraction was guilt free, and having worked in the oil and gas sector for 14 years before I retired I am fully aware of  the effects on the climate extraction can be, my concern was

"the conditions in the Cobalt mining industry are appalling with children as young as 10 being used in terrible working conditions. "

Yes I know of horror stories in the oil and gas sector particularly in areas such as the Gold Coast and Campos Basin offshore Brazil, but that does not mean that what is happening in DRC is somehow ok!

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 21/11/2020 16:11

Posted on 21/11/2020 15:16 by Rufs

Never said that oil & gas extraction was guilt free, and having worked in the oil and gas sector for 14 years before I retired I am fully aware of  the effects on the climate extraction can be, my concern was

"the conditions in the Cobalt mining industry are appalling with children as young as 10 being used in terrible working conditions. "

Yes I know of horror stories in the oil and gas sector particularly in areas such as the Gold Coast and Campos Basin offshore Brazil, but that does not mean that what is happening in DRC is somehow ok!

Posted on 21/11/2020 16:11

I agree with you it isn’t good👍🏻, but replacing something that is not good for some is far better than continuing to destroy the planet we all live on🤷🏻‍♂️. No one has ever said the World is a fair place & I have no intention of setting myself up as the Worlds policeman. . .the hours are crap & the pressure is way too much.

JVB66 replied on 21/11/2020 16:14

Posted on 21/11/2020 15:06 by Compo

With regard to ICE cars. I think someone may have already suggested that if and when we reach 2030 and if the government continue with the prohibition of the sale of new ICE cars and vans it may well be that the value of second hand ones will increase rather than decrease. If someone can't buy a new one and they are determined to still use one, the only alternative is to either keep what they have or buy second hand. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Posted on 21/11/2020 16:14

I am thinking of installing a diesel tank in the garage before HMG increase the duty to eye watering levels to get ICE diesel cars for personal use of the roadssurprised

cyberyacht replied on 21/11/2020 16:24

Posted on 21/11/2020 16:24

As a follow on to JVB's and Ruf's posts, I cleaned my solar panels back in the summer for the first time since they were installed exactly nine years ago today as it happens. Normally they keep fairly clean but the long dry dusty period back in the Spring prompted me to venture on to the garage roof where I managed to reach about 85% of the area. Installation cost was £13500 back then but the FIT has covered that and I'm now "in profit" by about £5K apart from the savings on reduced draw from the Grid. Almost 38000Kw produced since installation, so I've reduced my carbon footprint a bit.

Oscarmax replied on 21/11/2020 16:28

Posted on 21/11/2020 16:14 by JVB66

I am thinking of installing a diesel tank in the garage before HMG increase the duty to eye watering levels to get ICE diesel cars for personal use of the roadssurprised

Posted on 21/11/2020 16:28

I cant understand what you are worrying about, Boris and his side kick  are looking into toll road charges plus all the clean air zones, we will all have to catch a bus.

JVB66 replied on 21/11/2020 16:36

Posted on 21/11/2020 13:15 by Rufs

Our local LA in the guise of a "housing trust?about 10years ago fitted solar panels to some of their stock, and some owners used the same company to have them installed, it seems they are on a 25yr contract with it seems , an off shoot of one of the big energy companies who "subsidised?" them

this was a rip off scheme whereby a company would buy your feed in tarriff contract that you have with the government.

So they offered you a fixed sum for the contract/solar panels, which they took control of and of course all the monies you would have gotten back yourself from the feed in tarriff contract for the life of the contract.

In in some cases they were only offering ÂŁ5k cash for something that could be worth ÂŁ20k over the life of the contract, and it also caused problems if you wanted to sell your house before the contract expires, because this company now owns your solar panels on your roof and would be getting all the money from the feed in tarriff, nightmare scenario.

Posted on 21/11/2020 16:36

The way the "mandarins" on our LA have chucked money at "outsourcing companies"to run just about all the services for far less results ,,nothing about how they get ripped off by anyone would be of no supprise 

JVB66 replied on 21/11/2020 16:43

Posted on 21/11/2020 16:28 by Oscarmax

I cant understand what you are worrying about, Boris and his side kick  are looking into toll road charges plus all the clean air zones, we will all have to catch a bus.

Posted on 21/11/2020 16:43

That is fine as we have for now a good less than fifteen minute service with two companies ,just hope the subsidies are still there to keep them going as at this time ,a bus is crowded if more than half a dozen are using itsurprised 

Rufs replied on 21/11/2020 16:56

Posted on 21/11/2020 16:56

Installation cost was £13500 back then but the FIT

Wow expensive, but your FIT payments will be much higher than mine, i just got in before the scheme was ended so much lower per Kw money paid, but still think it was a worthwhile investmentlaughing

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook