2030 - No new ICE cars to be sold

NutsyH replied on 19/11/2020 10:56

Posted on 19/11/2020 10:56

What is the Club's position on this announcement?

It sounds the death knell for towing anything like a decent size caravan unless reasonably priced electric cars capable of towing over 200 miles without recharge suddenly appear, and the recharging infrastructure expands rapidly. Given the incompetence of most politicians that is unlikely to happen.

Or do we think this is just another of Bojo's announcements that will quietly be forgotten when it becomes clear that there is no chance of this happening by 2030?

Perhaps the Club could enlighten us on whether it is engaging with the Government, as it is abundantly clear that no thought has been given to this issue by the Politicos.

Takethedogalong replied on 21/11/2020 10:32

Posted on 21/11/2020 10:32

Sums it up neatly Rocky. The commitment is only there if someone can make a profit. Or can obtain a Government contract............🤷‍♀️

Cynical.......moi?☹️

replied on 21/11/2020 10:56

Posted on 21/11/2020 10:56

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

Takethedogalong replied on 21/11/2020 11:04

Posted on 21/11/2020 11:04

Doesn't surprise me. Gravy trains the World over are very similar. I suspect there will be a lot of people in decision making positions that will be a great deal wealthier after the World emerges from this current crisis. Then it will be onto the next money making venture...........☹️

JVB66 replied on 21/11/2020 11:05

Posted on 21/11/2020 11:05

In most countries as the UK it is the Lobbyists who act for those who are trying to obtain "favours" by influencing MPs to vote for the "interests" of those who employ themundecided

Compo replied on 21/11/2020 11:13

Posted on 21/11/2020 11:13

It's always easy to spend other peoples money. If you want to have solar panels or a wind turbine, by all means have it, but please don't try to get me to pay for it for you. If you think it's a good investment, I'm sure you will invest in it.

Takethedogalong replied on 21/11/2020 11:20

Posted on 21/11/2020 11:20

You are missing my point compo. I suggested all new build should have green energy capability as standard. That way you can opt out, rather than opt in. Ok, it might add a tiny bit more to the initial build price, but it’s cheaper than adding in later, and let’s face it, only a fool would refuse to use something that might save them money, and do a bit towards saving the planet for their grandkids.

replied on 21/11/2020 11:31

Posted on 21/11/2020 11:20 by Takethedogalong

You are missing my point compo. I suggested all new build should have green energy capability as standard. That way you can opt out, rather than opt in. Ok, it might add a tiny bit more to the initial build price, but it’s cheaper than adding in later, and let’s face it, only a fool would refuse to use something that might save them money, and do a bit towards saving the planet for their grandkids.

Posted on 21/11/2020 11:31

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

SeasideBill replied on 21/11/2020 11:56

Posted on 21/11/2020 11:31 by

My daughter is in a new build house. There are panels but she has no idea what if any difference they make. There is no ventilation in the bathroom or toilet as a noisy machine (electrically powered) in the attic allegedly extracts heat given off from the   bath or shower. She had no say in any of this and will be paying for it for 30 years

Posted on 21/11/2020 11:56

I don’t know if those Energy Performance Certificates we’ve seen for. many years now, provide any additional data on new builds? However, folks I know who live in recent new builds are generally surprised how effective heat pumps and energy recovery systems are. Maybe the price to pay is living in a stuffy airless box? Not for me, but a further consequence of too many people living on a small island/planet.

There’s no doubt that a decent solar installation will pay for itself over time, but that’s obviously a variable that will benefit some and not others. 

JVB66 replied on 21/11/2020 11:56

Posted on 21/11/2020 11:31 by

My daughter is in a new build house. There are panels but she has no idea what if any difference they make. There is no ventilation in the bathroom or toilet as a noisy machine (electrically powered) in the attic allegedly extracts heat given off from the   bath or shower. She had no say in any of this and will be paying for it for 30 years

Posted on 21/11/2020 11:56

Our local LA in the guise of a "housing trust?about 10years ago fitted solar panels to some of their stock, and some owners used the same company to have them installed, it seems they are on a 25yr contract with it seems , an off shoot of one of the big energy companies who "subsidised?" them

When one of the private owners had a problem with their roof leaking,it was nearly two year of trying to get anyone to accept it was a faulty fitting of the panels that was the cause ,

It has been noted recently that several of the council stock with panels have scaffolding on the panels side  yet to find out why ,but of no interest to us ,but may ask if i see any tenants

Ps do the panels need cleaning to keep them from losing their effectiveness with the ammount of polution noted when it rains on most glass

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 21/11/2020 11:59

Posted on 21/11/2020 11:13 by Compo

It's always easy to spend other peoples money. If you want to have solar panels or a wind turbine, by all means have it, but please don't try to get me to pay for it for you. If you think it's a good investment, I'm sure you will invest in it.

Posted on 21/11/2020 11:59

It was a way to help the Govt achieve their desired ‘Green goals’ they paid so much to the energy supplier & so much to the homeowner. Just like the EV’s original subsidising just like the NHS-most things are subsidised, we all pay for them👍🏻. I continue to pay into a private pension & into the state one. At some point in my life I will be denied all or part of the state pension, the Govt hasn’t pushed us into independent pensions for nothing-the state one will either be reduced or dumped in the future🤷🏻‍♂️

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook