2030 - No new ICE cars to be sold

NutsyH replied on 19/11/2020 10:56

Posted on 19/11/2020 10:56

What is the Club's position on this announcement?

It sounds the death knell for towing anything like a decent size caravan unless reasonably priced electric cars capable of towing over 200 miles without recharge suddenly appear, and the recharging infrastructure expands rapidly. Given the incompetence of most politicians that is unlikely to happen.

Or do we think this is just another of Bojo's announcements that will quietly be forgotten when it becomes clear that there is no chance of this happening by 2030?

Perhaps the Club could enlighten us on whether it is engaging with the Government, as it is abundantly clear that no thought has been given to this issue by the Politicos.

replied on 20/11/2020 17:07

Posted on 20/11/2020 16:55 by SteveL

The Club’s latest major site development at Cayton Village also incorporates dedicated electric vehicle charging points on some pitches

I would assume these will be bookable when the system is revamped? Otherwise they would seem of only limited benifit.

Posted on 20/11/2020 17:07

I have seen pretty useless provision of such parking bays at some P&R on our travels. People plug in, before getting bus to town to work and come back 8 or so hours later from work. Meanwhile nobody else  can access.

NutsyH replied on 20/11/2020 17:12

Posted on 20/11/2020 16:21 by RowenaBCAMC

With regards to the Club's thoughts on these plans, while supportive of practical measures to improve the environment and address climate change, the Club is keen to see that the full consequences of this decision are recognised and appropriately addressed, particularly in terms of the leisure vehicle sector. The Club is well engaged with government and industry on these matters, in order to highlight the priorities and needs of our sector, notably the provision of cars with adequate towing capability, the addressing of the challenges regarding the motorhome sector, and the improvement of the rural electric vehicle charging infrastructure. Where opportunities to press industry or Government on this topics arise, we certainly do so, while also ensuring that Club members are informed of technology developments through regular advice communications and tests of hybrid and electric vehicles. The Club’s latest major site development at Cayton Village also incorporates dedicated electric vehicle charging points on some pitches and in the communal parking area, acting as a testbed for what may become a standard feature of site facilities in years to come.

Posted on 20/11/2020 17:12

Thanks Rowena

That is the answer I was hoping to obtain when I first stared this thread.

NutsyH replied on 20/11/2020 17:14

Posted on 20/11/2020 14:25 by SeasideBill

I’ll be interested to see how the millions of motorists who rely on inadequate on-street parking will cope charging their electric vehicles? Currently there is no joined up thinking on this. Exeter, for example, have an impasse between Government and Council. The former have made money available for installing street charging points, but not taken up by the latter because of the future burden of maintenance for which no provision is made. There are some seemingly minor issues which will be a headache to resolve. Exeter example again.... my daughter has a hybrid car and wants to run a cable from her house across the pavement to charge her car parked on the road. She purchased a heavy duty reflective mat to cover the cable and traffic cones to warn pedestrians.  She then asked the Council to approve that as not constituting a trip hazard, obviously not wishing for an ambulance chaser to take advantage of the situation. The Council were not prepared to offer any advice whatsoever. It’s a problem every off-street parker will face unless charging points are installed every few meters on roadside street furniture, on every street. Just one of a zillion issues to be resolved. 

Posted on 20/11/2020 17:14

Quite. 

NutsyH replied on 20/11/2020 17:18

Posted on 20/11/2020 15:49 by JohnM20

Making electric cars is the easy bit. Getting the range acceptable is the next. Then comes the more difficult bit of getting the price affordable for the majority of the population. The hard / impossible bits, and there are probably thousands of these bits, is getting all the necessary infrastructure sorted out within the next 10 years. I guess that the government is saying no sales of new ICE cars after 2030 because they know full well that it will be many, many years after that that the country is even getting vaguely close to being ready to go all electric. By this time totally new fuel technology will have come along, probably hydrogen based. It's all world beating pie in the sky really.

Posted on 20/11/2020 17:18

Quite, again. And what all the greens fail to mention is:

The destruction to the world being caused by the extraction of rare precious metals to produce the batteries

The carbon produced in building the vehicles

The carbon and other pollutants that result from scrapping the batteries every few years - they have a very short life.

And finally, the cost to run them when ICE cars are gone. Government MUST impose taxes that will match the current £40 billion plus extracted from car users.

NutsyH replied on 20/11/2020 17:29

Posted on 20/11/2020 17:02 by Takethedogalong

Some might find this of interest. Make sure you read right to the bottom of the article, has it has a little sting in the tail for MH owners.....

https://www.yorkmix.com/yorks-first-hyper-hubs-planned-using-solar-power-to-charge-electric-vehicles/

Posted on 20/11/2020 17:29

Excellent. So that is 18 chargers, each taking an hour to recharge 1 car.

What happens to other hundred or so cars in  that car park, I wonder.

(Not a dig at you, Takethedogalong) - commenting on total inadequacy of the infrastructure being contemplated.

And if you are a motorhomer, you have to drive around York looking for the alternative parking.

SeasideBill replied on 20/11/2020 17:46

Posted on 20/11/2020 17:29 by NutsyH

Excellent. So that is 18 chargers, each taking an hour to recharge 1 car.

What happens to other hundred or so cars in  that car park, I wonder.

(Not a dig at you, Takethedogalong) - commenting on total inadequacy of the infrastructure being contemplated.

And if you are a motorhomer, you have to drive around York looking for the alternative parking.

Posted on 20/11/2020 17:46

Whichever way you look at it, conventional plug in type charging sourced from solar, grid or wherever, can never be adequate for a world without ICE vehicles. The only solution that could work at scale is charging strips built into roads. The technology isn’t 100% there yet, but the sort of technology we use to wireless charge our electric toothbrush or mobile phones will probably provide the basis of the solution. Static charging by parking over a pad has already been demonstrated to work - maybe that’s what we’ll see longer-term at campsites & aires?

EmilysDad replied on 20/11/2020 17:47

Posted on 20/11/2020 16:47 by DavidKlyne

Just a thought that has been whizzing around in my head. I am surprised that electric cars don't have solar panels on their roofs. I appreciate that it wouldn't completely satisfy the power requirement but one would have thought that it could help as a bit of a top up? 

David

Posted on 20/11/2020 17:47

Honda were playing a solar powered car years ago ... granted it wasn't the kind pf car you'd nip to the shops in

.... http://www.speedace.info/honda.htm

JVB66 replied on 20/11/2020 17:48

Posted on 20/11/2020 17:48

All the hype and "positives?" that are being pushed by all those Involved (for bigger profits) they will not it seems, also publicise the cost involved or the subsidises/grants they will be hoping to extract from governments to try? to enable it all to happensurprised

which will of course come from taxes we havs paidundecided

JVB66 replied on 20/11/2020 18:03

Posted on 20/11/2020 18:03

It may alter when EVs are charged the going price for the hook up instead of the free or subsidised as now which could deter long turm usesurprised

SeasideBill replied on 20/11/2020 18:15

Posted on 20/11/2020 18:03 by JVB66

It may alter when EVs are charged the going price for the hook up instead of the free or subsidised as now which could deter long turm usesurprised

Posted on 20/11/2020 18:15

Yep, electricity generation and distribution is the business to be in. Whether charging your car, running your heat pump or cooking your dinner, electric will be all there is, beyond a few niche power products.  If there’s not much competition or alternative, why would anybody want to offer a subsidy?

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook