2030 - No new ICE cars to be sold

NutsyH replied on 19/11/2020 10:56

Posted on 19/11/2020 10:56

What is the Club's position on this announcement?

It sounds the death knell for towing anything like a decent size caravan unless reasonably priced electric cars capable of towing over 200 miles without recharge suddenly appear, and the recharging infrastructure expands rapidly. Given the incompetence of most politicians that is unlikely to happen.

Or do we think this is just another of Bojo's announcements that will quietly be forgotten when it becomes clear that there is no chance of this happening by 2030?

Perhaps the Club could enlighten us on whether it is engaging with the Government, as it is abundantly clear that no thought has been given to this issue by the Politicos.

JVB66 replied on 20/11/2020 16:22

Posted on 20/11/2020 14:25 by SeasideBill

I’ll be interested to see how the millions of motorists who rely on inadequate on-street parking will cope charging their electric vehicles? Currently there is no joined up thinking on this. Exeter, for example, have an impasse between Government and Council. The former have made money available for installing street charging points, but not taken up by the latter because of the future burden of maintenance for which no provision is made. There are some seemingly minor issues which will be a headache to resolve. Exeter example again.... my daughter has a hybrid car and wants to run a cable from her house across the pavement to charge her car parked on the road. She purchased a heavy duty reflective mat to cover the cable and traffic cones to warn pedestrians.  She then asked the Council to approve that as not constituting a trip hazard, obviously not wishing for an ambulance chaser to take advantage of the situation. The Council were not prepared to offer any advice whatsoever. It’s a problem every off-street parker will face unless charging points are installed every few meters on roadside street furniture, on every street. Just one of a zillion issues to be resolved. 

Posted on 20/11/2020 16:22

We have exactly the same problem with many terraced houses  some even in tree/hedged grass greens  (they are very nice) but no legal access to their vehicles,  ours is  grass verge ,footpath, grass verge away from the road but without a designated parking spot (lucky we have access to a garage ,and after two Emails to the LA and one to the local MP Grant Shapps without any positive replys of how they are going to address this very obvios problem 

viatorem replied on 20/11/2020 16:36

Posted on 20/11/2020 16:36

Things can move at a pace when the need arises, battery technology has a way to go though.

Alko and others are developing motor assisted chassis's that will extend the range of an EV and reduce the size of tow vehicle needed, obviously this will need another category in vehicle class for type approval etc but nothing insurmountable.

" Before the end of the decade we will put a Man on the moon" 😉

JohnM20 replied on 20/11/2020 16:41

Posted on 20/11/2020 16:41

I read / heard a year or so ago that some boffin had calculated that there is not enough copper in the world to satisfy the needs for all the motors and cabling that will be required worldwide. 

JVB66 replied on 20/11/2020 16:45

Posted on 20/11/2020 16:36 by viatorem

Things can move at a pace when the need arises, battery technology has a way to go though.

Alko and others are developing motor assisted chassis's that will extend the range of an EV and reduce the size of tow vehicle needed, obviously this will need another category in vehicle class for type approval etc but nothing insurmountable.

" Before the end of the decade we will put a Man on the moon" 😉

Posted on 20/11/2020 16:45

How are these "motor assisted" chassis to be powered ,self contained? or from the EV towing itsurprised

DavidKlyne replied on 20/11/2020 16:47

Posted on 20/11/2020 16:47

Just a thought that has been whizzing around in my head. I am surprised that electric cars don't have solar panels on their roofs. I appreciate that it wouldn't completely satisfy the power requirement but one would have thought that it could help as a bit of a top up? 

David

SteveL replied on 20/11/2020 16:55

Posted on 20/11/2020 16:21 by RowenaBCAMC

With regards to the Club's thoughts on these plans, while supportive of practical measures to improve the environment and address climate change, the Club is keen to see that the full consequences of this decision are recognised and appropriately addressed, particularly in terms of the leisure vehicle sector. The Club is well engaged with government and industry on these matters, in order to highlight the priorities and needs of our sector, notably the provision of cars with adequate towing capability, the addressing of the challenges regarding the motorhome sector, and the improvement of the rural electric vehicle charging infrastructure. Where opportunities to press industry or Government on this topics arise, we certainly do so, while also ensuring that Club members are informed of technology developments through regular advice communications and tests of hybrid and electric vehicles. The Club’s latest major site development at Cayton Village also incorporates dedicated electric vehicle charging points on some pitches and in the communal parking area, acting as a testbed for what may become a standard feature of site facilities in years to come.

Posted on 20/11/2020 16:55

The Club’s latest major site development at Cayton Village also incorporates dedicated electric vehicle charging points on some pitches

I would assume these will be bookable when the system is revamped? Otherwise they would seem of only limited benifit.

JVB66 replied on 20/11/2020 17:00

Posted on 20/11/2020 16:55 by SteveL

The Club’s latest major site development at Cayton Village also incorporates dedicated electric vehicle charging points on some pitches

I would assume these will be bookable when the system is revamped? Otherwise they would seem of only limited benifit.

Posted on 20/11/2020 17:00

Will the booking page for Cayton be big enough to cope with all the pitch typessurprised

SteveL replied on 20/11/2020 17:03

Posted on 20/11/2020 16:47 by DavidKlyne

Just a thought that has been whizzing around in my head. I am surprised that electric cars don't have solar panels on their roofs. I appreciate that it wouldn't completely satisfy the power requirement but one would have thought that it could help as a bit of a top up? 

David

Posted on 20/11/2020 17:03

Googling the subject, it does seem to be being actively pursued, particularly for sunnier climates. Even some fully solar powered biggies for city use.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook