2030 - No new ICE cars to be sold

NutsyH replied on 19/11/2020 10:56

Posted on 19/11/2020 10:56

What is the Club's position on this announcement?

It sounds the death knell for towing anything like a decent size caravan unless reasonably priced electric cars capable of towing over 200 miles without recharge suddenly appear, and the recharging infrastructure expands rapidly. Given the incompetence of most politicians that is unlikely to happen.

Or do we think this is just another of Bojo's announcements that will quietly be forgotten when it becomes clear that there is no chance of this happening by 2030?

Perhaps the Club could enlighten us on whether it is engaging with the Government, as it is abundantly clear that no thought has been given to this issue by the Politicos.

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 20/11/2020 11:15

Posted on 20/11/2020 11:15

Content has been removed.

Cornersteady replied on 20/11/2020 11:33

Posted on 20/11/2020 11:05 by Tinwheeler

I'm not sure what the OP means by the club having a position on this announcement as, like the rest of us, it will have to roll with the blows.

Once again, it demonstrates the club used foresight in diversifying into static accommodation at an early stage and the 'pod haters' must surely see the wisdom of that.

Posted on 20/11/2020 11:33

Yes fully agree with that, and as you say what announcement on its position can it make? 

Firstly it has only just been announced and I assume the club is still thinking about the current covid situation and how to get through that.

Yes when we used a cabin it was pleasantly nice just to turn up and move in without any of the normal pitching routine. 

JVB66 replied on 20/11/2020 11:33

Posted on 20/11/2020 11:33

One of the ,IMHO reasons , maybe the main reason? that Boris has announced all these latest Green plans is that the UK?as was, is chairing the international climate forum? next yearsurprised

Tinwheeler replied on 20/11/2020 11:39

Posted on 20/11/2020 11:33 by Cornersteady

Yes fully agree with that, and as you say what announcement on its position can it make? 

Firstly it has only just been announced and I assume the club is still thinking about the current covid situation and how to get through that.

Yes when we used a cabin it was pleasantly nice just to turn up and move in without any of the normal pitching routine. 

Posted on 20/11/2020 11:39

And you could have done it with a small EV so you'd have been fine with no need of a big towcar. That's what it's all about👍

Tinwheeler replied on 20/11/2020 11:41

Posted on 20/11/2020 11:33 by JVB66

One of the ,IMHO reasons , maybe the main reason? that Boris has announced all these latest Green plans is that the UK?as was, is chairing the international climate forum? next yearsurprised

Posted on 20/11/2020 11:41

Of course it is. That's exactly what the media has been saying.

brue replied on 20/11/2020 11:42

Posted on 20/11/2020 11:04 by DavidKlyne

For many years we have purchased electricity from France as they have always invested more in nuclear power than we have and have a surplus. At least I consider France a friendly power!!!

David

Posted on 20/11/2020 11:42

Yes, companies like EDF who are involved at Hinkley Point C. They have a good web site with a lot of information about electric vehicles, just about everything you want to know. From the information on there and other web sites you can delve deeper and find answers to questions.

EDF >LINK<   (this section is on costs)

Personally I read a lot of "stuff" on here that's incorrect about electric cars but as far as CAMC is concerned I would welcome a car that could tow (just for using a trailer at home) and progress has definitely been slow on this, which is disappointing. OH got in contact with a lot of companies and people when we got our EV four years ago regarding towing, lots of thoughts and ideas but sadly no answers yet regarding smaller/medium vehicles. I would think something will change in the long run so it's hopefully going to happen.

brue replied on 20/11/2020 11:45

Posted on 20/11/2020 11:33 by JVB66

Posted on 20/11/2020 11:45

But the EU is adopting the same route and finally we have a USA President elect who has committed to these issues.

NutsyH replied on 20/11/2020 12:08

Posted on 20/11/2020 11:45 by brue

But the EU is adopting the same route and finally we have a USA President elect who has committed to these issues.

Posted on 20/11/2020 12:08

Really? And you think that's feasible in the land of  the automobile? Mass armed riots on the streets if he tries it.

We all knew this was coming and originally scheduled for 2040, but Bojo then announces 2030 with no rational though for the consequences. Less chance than his "world beating" Track & Trace, and that is almost non existent.

replied on 20/11/2020 12:14

Posted on 20/11/2020 11:42 by brue

Yes, companies like EDF who are involved at Hinkley Point C. They have a good web site with a lot of information about electric vehicles, just about everything you want to know. From the information on there and other web sites you can delve deeper and find answers to questions.

EDF >LINK<   (this section is on costs)

Personally I read a lot of "stuff" on here that's incorrect about electric cars but as far as CAMC is concerned I would welcome a car that could tow (just for using a trailer at home) and progress has definitely been slow on this, which is disappointing. OH got in contact with a lot of companies and people when we got our EV four years ago regarding towing, lots of thoughts and ideas but sadly no answers yet regarding smaller/medium vehicles. I would think something will change in the long run so it's hopefully going to happen.

Posted on 20/11/2020 12:14

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

brue replied on 20/11/2020 12:19

Posted on 20/11/2020 12:19

NutsyH. You can challenge what I write but the announcements are in line with official news from many other countries.

I'm not going to make any political comments and this is my final contribution to the thread. smile

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook