2030 - No new ICE cars to be sold

NutsyH replied on 19/11/2020 10:56

Posted on 19/11/2020 10:56

What is the Club's position on this announcement?

It sounds the death knell for towing anything like a decent size caravan unless reasonably priced electric cars capable of towing over 200 miles without recharge suddenly appear, and the recharging infrastructure expands rapidly. Given the incompetence of most politicians that is unlikely to happen.

Or do we think this is just another of Bojo's announcements that will quietly be forgotten when it becomes clear that there is no chance of this happening by 2030?

Perhaps the Club could enlighten us on whether it is engaging with the Government, as it is abundantly clear that no thought has been given to this issue by the Politicos.

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 20/11/2020 09:23

Posted on 20/11/2020 08:29 by

Cuba has managed to keep American  cars on the road for fifty years without makers spares.

Posted on 20/11/2020 09:23

Mmmm, they are not exactly at the forefront of advancement as a nation I’m afraid🤷🏻‍♂️, they can always rely on folk visiting but it’s not ideal. We’re talking 1st world countries to be honest👍🏻

replied on 20/11/2020 09:41

Posted on 19/11/2020 21:28 by DavidKlyne

It is not as though we didn't know this day was coming. It's been talked about for the last twenty years? I appreciate that it means getting a lot of balls in the air to make it work but beyond that point there will be many advantages. The air will be cleaner for a start which should drastically reduce the risk of childhood Asthma and also help with breathing problems in old people. Because we will be producing our own clean energy we won't be as dependent of oil rich countries that have in the past pushed us into recession almost at the turn of a switch. So the risk of being held to ransom by either Russia or Saudi Arabia is diminished. 

The 2030 deadline only refers to the sale of new petrol and diesel cars, they will be around for years to come. Some think it will see the value of such cars fall through the floor but I wonder if the reality will be that prices will hold firm give the price of new EV's? During the transition period electric cars will develop and be as capable, if not more so, than diesel as a choice of towcar. Some might not like the fact that they will have automatic gearboxes. Let's embrace the future.

David

Posted on 20/11/2020 09:41

If I recall it was originally intended that the change would be in 2040. Then 2035 and now 2030. As I read 10% of our electricity is provided by EU. 

replied on 20/11/2020 09:54

Posted on 20/11/2020 09:54

Content has been removed.

replied on 20/11/2020 10:00

Posted on 20/11/2020 08:34 by JVB66

At peak periods now in colder times of the year electricity is already on a knife edge and even with HMGs idea? about wind farms ,will not cope with the amount of add housing that is to be built?

We are to have over 12,000 new properties in this arassurprised

With gas for domestic use being stopped? 

Posted on 20/11/2020 10:00

The stoppage of gas is not presently on the cards just its provision on new builds. Not sure how that stacks up with affordable housing given how much more expensive electric is than gas per kw at present. No doubt the required solar panels will mitigate that. The strange thing is the talk is that if you want gas in a new build you have to fit solar panels but I expected such panels to be a required anyway. No doubt in another 4 or 5 years that will become clearer. 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook