2016 Performance Review

Boff replied on 02/10/2017 07:31

Posted on 02/10/2017 07:31

Just read through the 2016 Performance review as published in this months magazine.  I have a couple of questions. 

1. Great play is made that membership retention has improved (marginally).  Yet I cannot,see anywhere in the article what the current membership number is and what is the year to year trend?   As a membership organisation surely this is a relevant figure. 

2.  Regarding the name change.  The following statement is made.  The Club recognises that a minority of members do not agree with the change.  What are the facts and research that justify and confirm this statement?  Do you actually have any idea if it's a minority, majority or 50/50?

DSB replied on 01/11/2017 13:14

Posted on 01/11/2017 12:21 by JohnM20

"51,000 new households have been recruited since 2011.  Between 2015 and 2016 the Club saw a 7.5% increase in the number of households joining the Club making a total of over 350,000 households.  I believe this is the highest it has been."

The above only tells us how many households have joined, it doesn't tell us how many have left which could be a significant number.

Posted on 01/11/2017 13:14

You are correct, of course John.  However, if the number was significant I'm sure it would have been mentioned, or it is more likely that numbers just may be misleading.  The chairman did comment on good membership retention, but when folk do not renew with the Club it could be for a variety of reasons (including giving up caravanning/motorhoming being no longer able to do it and sadly, if members die, or even buy a static caravan and have no further need to be a Club member). There may be no way of accurately distinguishing between 'genuine reasons for leaving' and those that may be disgruntled.

Hope this helps.

David 

brue replied on 01/11/2017 13:36

Posted on 01/11/2017 13:36

I presume you could calculate the real numbers from the amount taken in membership fees for any particular year. I think this was quoted somewhere. I'm not going to rush for my calculator but it would have been more informative if clear figures were quoted at the AGM.

Fisherman replied on 01/11/2017 13:38

Posted on 01/11/2017 13:38

Typical use of Satistics, says nothing. AsDavid said there must be a significant  number giving up due to age etc each year. You only have to look at membership on sites and see we are mostly  Old F.... Stats.stats and damn lies says it all.

peedee replied on 01/11/2017 13:39

Posted on 01/11/2017 13:39

The invitation to become a member on the C&CC joining page is very welcoming in contrast to that on the CAMC site which just offers £12 a night saving by becoming a member, no real invite to join.

The attraction, at least initially, is more like the diference in subscription! I wonder how many dig a bit deeper before coming to a decission. Not many I suspect. So the first thing they see on the Club pages is a difference in favour of the C&CC of £11p.a. Digging a bit deeper they may notice there isn't much difference in what is offered either unless you own a tent.

peedee

DSB replied on 01/11/2017 13:41

Posted on 01/11/2017 13:05 by Bakers2

To me the quote from the club AGM, that is in bold, tells us nothing. Gives meaningless figures.  Why are they quoting the rise since 2011? What was the number of households members in 2011? Why give an percentage increase for 2015 to 2016 but not give a base figure? As you state no non renewals mentioned. Certainly no transpancy in the figures. It appears to me to be one of those meaningless management speak statements ☺. All words are in English but strung together make little sense 😉.  Maybe there is much that its preferred not to disclose??

The invitation to become a member on the C&CC joining page is very welcoming in contrast to that on the CAMC site which just offers £12 a night saving by becoming a member, no real invite to join.

Posted on 01/11/2017 13:41

I think the reason 2011 is mentioned is that until 2016, 2011 was the year with the highest number of family memberships.  2016 surpassed the 2011 figure.  I think 2012 to 2015 saw a slight drop in membership which recovered in 2016, but as I said in my post above, the reason for that drop (and also the reason for the increase) is likely to be a variety of, probably unknown reasons.  Statistics can be misleading, so perhaps we are saying the chairman would have been better off not quoting any numbers at all! smile

David 

DSB replied on 01/11/2017 13:49

Posted on 01/11/2017 13:38 by Fisherman

Typical use of Satistics, says nothing. AsDavid said there must be a significant  number giving up due to age etc each year. You only have to look at membership on sites and see we are mostly  Old F.... Stats.stats and damn lies says it all.

Posted on 01/11/2017 13:49

Indeed!  smile

David

JohnM20 replied on 01/11/2017 16:34

Posted on 01/11/2017 13:14 by DSB

You are correct, of course John.  However, if the number was significant I'm sure it would have been mentioned, or it is more likely that numbers just may be misleading.  The chairman did comment on good membership retention, but when folk do not renew with the Club it could be for a variety of reasons (including giving up caravanning/motorhoming being no longer able to do it and sadly, if members die, or even buy a static caravan and have no further need to be a Club member). There may be no way of accurately distinguishing between 'genuine reasons for leaving' and those that may be disgruntled.

Hope this helps.

David 

Posted on 01/11/2017 16:34

David, if the numbers not renewing membership were significant it could be a very good reason for the chairman not to mention it. How can numbers be misleading? They are facts.  X number joined and Y number not renewed = net membership number. What is "Good membership retention" as quoted by the chairman? The phrase is very subjective. I might think good is 99% where others think that 66% is good. The statement means nothing.

As for reasons for leaving the club it doesn't matter what they are. If members have left they have left. Similarly if new members have joined it doesn't matter what their reason for joining was. They are now just a number.

So, unfortunately your 'explanation' doesn't help anyone in deciding whether membership on a year to year basis is up, down or static. Only facts (actual numbers) can tell us this.

DSB replied on 01/11/2017 16:59

Posted on 01/11/2017 16:34 by JohnM20

David, if the numbers not renewing membership were significant it could be a very good reason for the chairman not to mention it. How can numbers be misleading? They are facts.  X number joined and Y number not renewed = net membership number. What is "Good membership retention" as quoted by the chairman? The phrase is very subjective. I might think good is 99% where others think that 66% is good. The statement means nothing.

As for reasons for leaving the club it doesn't matter what they are. If members have left they have left. Similarly if new members have joined it doesn't matter what their reason for joining was. They are now just a number.

So, unfortunately your 'explanation' doesn't help anyone in deciding whether membership on a year to year basis is up, down or static. Only facts (actual numbers) can tell us this.

Posted on 01/11/2017 16:59

OK.  Thanks.

David

Boff replied on 01/11/2017 18:48

Posted on 01/11/2017 18:48

Logic suggests, That if the following statements are true.

1 The retention rates have increased

2 The number of families joining has increased.

Then the total membership has increased.

But why on earth can’t there just be a statement that says that there are X primary members, and Y associate members.  Families are a bit irrelevant because it is one primary member one vote. Or full access to this website.   

The abillity to communicate in any meaningful way is so poor I can only assume it is a deliberate policy. 

DavidKlyne replied on 01/11/2017 21:09

Posted on 01/11/2017 21:09

I think sometimes the Club's method of communication seems to illustrate a disconnect between what members actually want to know and Media Hype. There seems to be a need to dress everything up as some sort of Infographic which says somethings but does not illustrate the story in a clear and easy to understand way. I would have thought the AGM notes needed to be much clearer than they are and why a simple line just saying there was a 25000 increase in net membership over 2015 taking the total membership to 350000 meaning that we now have 1000000 family members? 

David

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook