2016 Performance Review

Boff replied on 02/10/2017 07:31

Posted on 02/10/2017 07:31

Just read through the 2016 Performance review as published in this months magazine.  I have a couple of questions. 

1. Great play is made that membership retention has improved (marginally).  Yet I cannot,see anywhere in the article what the current membership number is and what is the year to year trend?   As a membership organisation surely this is a relevant figure. 

2.  Regarding the name change.  The following statement is made.  The Club recognises that a minority of members do not agree with the change.  What are the facts and research that justify and confirm this statement?  Do you actually have any idea if it's a minority, majority or 50/50?

Oneputt replied on 02/10/2017 07:58

Posted on 02/10/2017 07:58

Unfortunately we will never know as our 'club' will never answer difficult questionssurprised.

I haven't got the club mag with me but I memory serves I think they gave an amount of money for membership so as a rough guide you could decide that number by the membership fee.

Boff replied on 02/10/2017 08:21

Posted on 02/10/2017 08:21

I nearly added to the end of my post.  I suppose that the club will be true to its mission statement of never apologise, never explain.  

Randomcamper replied on 02/10/2017 09:03

Posted on 02/10/2017 09:03

1. Great play is made that membership retention has improved (marginally). Yet I cannot,see anywhere in the article what the current membership number is and what is the year to year trend? As a membership organisation surely this is a relevant figure.

On the Clubs website it claims that back in 1985 it had 250,000 members, 

https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/about-us/our-history/

Wikipedia says it now has a million members...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caravan_and_Motorhome_Club

But I doubt if that is correct, I seem to remember reading somewhere recently that it had 360,000 members, which seems more likely based on the 1985 figure...??

JayEss replied on 02/10/2017 09:19

Posted on 02/10/2017 09:19

The million members will include joint and family members. 

We'll never know. 

At least they recognise that a minority of members are unhappy with the change Boff. If you remember the statements around COTY it would have appeared that everyone thought it was great. If they are actually referring to members disagreeing with the club's decision I'd be prepared to bet that it's a very significant minority. 

DavidKlyne replied on 02/10/2017 10:19

Posted on 02/10/2017 10:19

Perhaps there is a reluctance to talk about actual membership numbers for two reasons. A) the C&CC seems to be growing at exponential rate which the CMC can't actually match or B) The prospect of attracting new members because of the name change has not materialised. I would not want to suggest the name change was a mistake as I don't think it was but the benefits might be slower to appear.

David

Boff replied on 02/10/2017 11:17

Posted on 02/10/2017 11:17

The point is a report about a membership organisation without, revealing the number is well pointless. I don't want to resort to Wikipedia or guess work or maths to tell me the number members.   I want it included in the report it's fundamental.  

As for the objectors to the rebranding.  I have no idea what percentage actually is.  I suspect, neither do the club. 

Rather like the reliabilty report, yet another report that seeks to present a Panglossian view of the world.  A report designed to obscure not to inform.  The most damming fact is I am sure that no one in the least bit surprised.  

Boff replied on 30/10/2017 10:28

Posted on 02/10/2017 08:21 by Boff

I nearly added to the end of my post.  I suppose that the club will be true to its mission statement of never apologise, never explain.  

Posted on 30/10/2017 10:28

28 days latter still no comment or clarification on the actual number of members and the trend.  Why am I not supprised!

I am sure that David Klyne, hit the nail on the head with the reasons for the lack of information.  

peedee replied on 30/10/2017 13:25

Posted on 30/10/2017 13:25

but no one is willing to report on it. Think we will have to wait a while for proceedings to be published.

peedee

DSB replied on 31/10/2017 15:13

Posted on 02/10/2017 07:31 by Boff

Just read through the 2016 Performance review as published in this months magazine.  I have a couple of questions. 

1. Great play is made that membership retention has improved (marginally).  Yet I cannot,see anywhere in the article what the current membership number is and what is the year to year trend?   As a membership organisation surely this is a relevant figure. 

2.  Regarding the name change.  The following statement is made.  The Club recognises that a minority of members do not agree with the change.  What are the facts and research that justify and confirm this statement?  Do you actually have any idea if it's a minority, majority or 50/50?

Posted on 31/10/2017 15:13

I can give you the following statistics that were reported at the AGM.

51,000 new households have been recruited since 2011.  Between 2015 and 2016 the Club saw a 7.5% increase in the number of households joining the Club making a total of over 350,000 households.  I believe this is the highest it has been.

I don't think anyone really has a clear idea how many members agree of disagree with the name change, but I understand why the Club has done it.  I suspect that the vast majority of members don't care one way or the other - certainly my friends who are members haven't even mentioned it.  From what people tell me, since the name change there has been an increase in Motorhomer membership, many new motorhomers not even realising that they could join.  No doubt statistics at next years AGM will reflect the change in membership in 2017.

Hope this helps..... written very quickly sitting in the Outpatients department of George Eliot Hospital - my 3rd home, after the house and the caravan.  😀

David 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook