The same Club, just better...

RochelleCC replied on 21/02/2017 08:40

Posted on 21/02/2017 08:40

Welcome to the Caravan and Motorhome Club.

Ever since we came together as a group of outdoor enthusiasts 110 years ago, our Club has continued on a journey of discovery. It's time for us to make some changes for the better by redefining who we are to help you get the most of the great outdoors.

I’m sure you all have lots of questions, please post your feedback and queries in this thread.

What does our new logo mean? We created a video to explain how we created it:

Find out more at www.camc.com/discover

Takethedogalong replied on 28/02/2017 10:38

Posted on 28/02/2017 10:38

Have to agree, it's a done deal, no amount of huffing and puffing will change things, even if parts of the method leave a sour taste in the mouth.

In all honesty, I just don't care enough for it to make any difference to me. I pay my fee, that allows me access to the CLs and sites, I am canny enough to use the Great Days out vouchers to recover back that fee, and I plan my holidays and get on with them, using a mix of site providers. I think the vast majority of club members do exactly the same, and that is why it is so much a done deal when things like this happen. 

The more underlying issues, site closures, appalling lack of support for CLs are of more concern to me than a name change and a new logo sticker. I think it will be this element that determines retaining members or not, certainly this one. We have never put our eggs in the one basket, always shopped around.

Incidently, most marketing surveys include a question about how likely someone is to recommend to friends and family. 

DaveJ99 replied on 28/02/2017 11:39

Posted on 28/02/2017 08:35 by GodivaNige

In a word. No.

Only Full Members can vote at an AGM. To be a Full Member (which is different to a Club Member, like most of us are) you have to apply to the Club and be approved by the Directors.

Full Members are the Guarantors of the company in that they agree to give an undertaking should the company be wound down. In return, the Full Members are given voting rights at the AGM and at Special General Meetings

I have no idea how many Full Members there are in the Club, but I would hazard a guess that the proposal for the change of name and rebrand of the Club was put to a General Meeting and voted for by the Directors and Full Members and was subsequently carried.

Posted on 28/02/2017 11:39

I did not know that. Does this mean if the Club was sold or privatised like the RAC or a Building Society it would only be Full Members that would benefit?

DavidSquires replied on 28/02/2017 14:03

Posted on 28/02/2017 14:03

I am shocked and quite honestly horrified, at the re-branding announcement.

When I heard last Wednesday that there was exciting news, the only thing I hoped, was that WiFi was now going to be free for members.  A change of identity of our club is certainly not exciting.

There was absolutely no need to include the name ‘Motorhome’ in the club name.  Motorhome owners, many of whom may have owned a caravan previously know very well they are welcome to join the club and visit sites.  The existing Logo is always very helpful after a long journey to confirm that you have found the Caravan Club site.  The new Logo means nothing.  The new name itself sounds too much like that other caravanning organisations name and I am extremely disappointed that a few committee members have considered it their right to change such a long established and well respected Logo and Name without first consulting the membership.  It is our club and members should be consulted on anything as drastic and important as the Name and Logo.  There is a suggestion that the change is based on Feedback - what feedback?

If there was felt to be a need to include Motorhomes, it could have been achieved with a simple couple of words on a new sign (Motor Homes Welcome), under the main one, without having to change the Club Name and certainly not the Logo.

In view of the extremely large number of negative comments regarding the change that have accumulated, a rethink is urgently required.  This is not acceptable.

brue replied on 28/02/2017 14:22

Posted on 28/02/2017 11:39 by DaveJ99

I did not know that. Does this mean if the Club was sold or privatised like the RAC or a Building Society it would only be Full Members that would benefit?

Posted on 28/02/2017 14:22

The Club Council consists of nominated members who make decisions on our behalf. See here

Trepanner replied on 28/02/2017 14:25

Posted on 21/02/2017 09:12 by RochelleCC

Hi JVB,

The change in name and logo were based on your feedback and in consultation with your representatives on the Committee. Together, we’re embarking on a journey of investment in the future of our Club.

Posted on 28/02/2017 14:25

I have no recollection of being asked for feedback on a name change, new logo etc etc could you enlighten please?

RochelleCC replied on 28/02/2017 15:36

Posted on 25/02/2017 08:23 by IanH

Rochelle - three questions - 

Firstly, in order for people to put this issue into some sort of context, what was the budget that was set for this re-branding and the launch of the new name?

Secondly - what is the additional revenue and profit that the Club has projected will arise from this re-brand each year?

Thirdly, what do we abbreviate the Club to now? It used to be CC and the other lot were C&CC, but I'm seeing CMC, CMHC, C&MHC, CAMC, CAMHC. Surely in order to establish the brand, it needs to be referred to in a common way and not left to individuals to make up their own versions?

Posted on 28/02/2017 15:36

Hi Ian,

Sorry for the delayed response, must have missed your post.

Whilst I don't have exact numbers, the costs are being met from normal trading expenses.  It is affordable and will not affect any of The Club’s plans for investment in sites or club services.  Many of the costs are in consumable items such as uniforms, signage and so on which need replacing on an ongoing basis in any case. We have delayed the launch of the sites directory and handbook (which will be distributed this month) for example to make sure that this has the new branding for all of its two year life and so there has been no extra costs incurred.

We expect that the new brand will generate a higher profile and increased interest for the Club which will improve membership recruitment and retention and increase usage of club services so that the Club is even more successful in the future than it is now. 

With regards to the abbreviation, we're using CAMC smile

VolvoV70 replied on 28/02/2017 15:40

Posted on 27/02/2017 20:45 by H1UBS

The new logo - Brown and Biege - Autumnal colours.

Are they the colours likely to attract a new vibrant, younger, diverse membership ?

.. and just to underline the biegeness they added 'since 1907'

Still, there's always hope .. see how the coop/ co-operative after all their unremarkable re-brandings have gone back to the original... err... coop !

Posted on 28/02/2017 15:40

Posted on 27/02/2017 20:45 by H1UBS
The new logo - Brown and Biege - Autumnal colours.
Are they the colours likely to attract a new vibrant, younger, diverse membership ?
.. and just to underline the biegeness they added 'since 1907'
Still, there's always hope .. see how the coop/ co-operative after all their unremarkable re-brandings have gone back to the original... err... coop !

OR - also how the Royal Mail rebranded as Insignia very quickly went back to Royal Mail

And - I don' - recall being asked for any views or any consulation

DavidSquires replied on 28/02/2017 15:46

Posted on 28/02/2017 15:46

Please advise, exactly what consultation took place and when because I am yet to read a post on here that indicates it was written by someone who was actually asked.

VolvoV70 replied on 28/02/2017 15:57

Posted on 28/02/2017 15:36 by RochelleCC

Hi Ian,

Sorry for the delayed response, must have missed your post.

Whilst I don't have exact numbers, the costs are being met from normal trading expenses.  It is affordable and will not affect any of The Club’s plans for investment in sites or club services.  Many of the costs are in consumable items such as uniforms, signage and so on which need replacing on an ongoing basis in any case. We have delayed the launch of the sites directory and handbook (which will be distributed this month) for example to make sure that this has the new branding for all of its two year life and so there has been no extra costs incurred.

We expect that the new brand will generate a higher profile and increased interest for the Club which will improve membership recruitment and retention and increase usage of club services so that the Club is even more successful in the future than it is now. 

With regards to the abbreviation, we're using CAMC smile

Posted on 28/02/2017 15:57

So, perhaps RochelleCC  (shouldn't it be RochelleCAMC ?) could ask for the specific cost figures and pass them on to us (the members) or are we to assume that there has been no budgeting or estimated costing for this fiasco? 

This topic has been locked, no new replies can be added.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook