The same Club, just better...

RochelleCC replied on 21/02/2017 08:40

Posted on 21/02/2017 08:40

Welcome to the Caravan and Motorhome Club.

Ever since we came together as a group of outdoor enthusiasts 110 years ago, our Club has continued on a journey of discovery. It's time for us to make some changes for the better by redefining who we are to help you get the most of the great outdoors.

I’m sure you all have lots of questions, please post your feedback and queries in this thread.

What does our new logo mean? We created a video to explain how we created it:

Find out more at www.camc.com/discover

rkj52 replied on 25/02/2017 11:39

Posted on 25/02/2017 08:50 by huskydog

Take Woolworths ,they didn't adapt and change and where are they now !!!

Posted on 25/02/2017 11:39

BHS did and they are in the same place, all depends on the management, or lack of.

JVB66 replied on 25/02/2017 11:43

Posted on 25/02/2017 11:38 by

With the strength of feeling by the big majority of posters on here ,and i understand face ache, you could well be right

I never could understand faceache. Seems like navigating through a tropical forest without compass or map and wearing a blindfold

Posted on 25/02/2017 11:43

So truesurprised

Metheven replied on 25/02/2017 11:49

Posted on 25/02/2017 11:49

Regarding this thread, management know what they are doing wink It will go the same route as the 'Caravanner of the year' thread where it was left open for a few days so Members could vent their spleen.

In order:

• Shock/horror
  • Complaints from some regulars and many unknowns
  • Postings gradually lessening
  • Posts starting to go off topic (which is what they want)
  • Reason to close it
  • All forgotten
  • Back to attacking each other in the many other threads

Next week will be like it never happened as we all get on with life realising it won't affect us at all.

replied on 25/02/2017 11:55

Posted on 25/02/2017 11:55

I agree with all your points David except for the last one.

I am sure it is what most posters anticipate

Metheven replied on 25/02/2017 12:01

Posted on 25/02/2017 12:01

Although I'm not really bothered about this fiasco ET, the new 'name' does not roll of my tongue easily. I think I shall abbreviate to 'the Club' in future but I am really disappointed at the new CL signage, looks totally unfinished.

MikeinaVan replied on 25/02/2017 12:05

Posted on 25/02/2017 12:05

There are two quite important items I feel are being overlooked in these discussions, that are relevant whether one thinks the changes are for good or ill.

1. The club is registered at companies house as a company limited by guarantee. This is a common mechanism for clubs that get to a stage where they need to be a limited company. In effect it means the members are the owners, but dividends do not get declared and paid.

I would suggest that a change to the name of a club owned in this way should have been approved by the membership by means of a vote at the AGM, and only actioned after such approval was obtained.
  2. I have worked with organisations that use bulk mailing and believe they work on a budget figure of £1 per envelope to cover paper, printing, folding, stuffing, franking and dispatch costs.

I am not  sure how many members the club has, but a previous post I think mentioned 800,000. That seems big to me, but if anyone can confirm the membership numbers it would be useful to work out costs of just the sticker mailing.

Personally I did not like the new logo at first, but must confess its growing on me. However I do not believe the change will have the benefits being suggested. Only time will tell I guess.

JVB66 replied on 25/02/2017 12:09

Posted on 25/02/2017 12:05 by MikeinaVan

There are two quite important items I feel are being overlooked in these discussions, that are relevant whether one thinks the changes are for good or ill.

1. The club is registered at companies house as a company limited by guarantee. This is a common mechanism for clubs that get to a stage where they need to be a limited company. In effect it means the members are the owners, but dividends do not get declared and paid.

I would suggest that a change to the name of a club owned in this way should have been approved by the membership by means of a vote at the AGM, and only actioned after such approval was obtained.
  2. I have worked with organisations that use bulk mailing and believe they work on a budget figure of £1 per envelope to cover paper, printing, folding, stuffing, franking and dispatch costs.

I am not  sure how many members the club has, but a previous post I think mentioned 800,000. That seems big to me, but if anyone can confirm the membership numbers it would be useful to work out costs of just the sticker mailing.

Personally I did not like the new logo at first, but must confess its growing on me. However I do not believe the change will have the benefits being suggested. Only time will tell I guess.

Posted on 25/02/2017 12:09

The 800,000 members will include spouses, partners and "family"members

RungsandMaisie replied on 25/02/2017 12:13

Posted on 25/02/2017 12:13

So now we know why the new handbooks are late being distributed, the committee have been embroiled in a massive and costly re-branding exercise. I'm always suspicious of any messages promising 'exciting news' as they are usually from my garage and usually an attempt to separate me from my money. This new move from the club is no different. A massive expense for very little benefit. I would rather they had spent the money on cutting down some of the many overgrown trees on sites-have you ever tried to find a sunny pitch on a club site? Or producing more level hardstanding,  or just tidying up the sites generally, and why are we trying to make ourselves more welcoming to a larger audience while at the same time reducing the number of sites?Finally, should the new name not drop the word club and replace it with 'company' after all if we were a club, surely the members would have been consulted about such a major change.? As a member for 34 years am I displeased? You bet I am.!

replied on 25/02/2017 12:23

Posted on 25/02/2017 12:23

I did not like the new logo at first. However as it is in my face every time I click on 'Club Together' button I positively detest it. It is now as appealing to me as a slap in the face with a piece of wet haddock.

replied on 25/02/2017 12:28

Posted on 25/02/2017 12:28

So now we know why the new handbooks are late being distributed, the committee have been embroiled in a massive and costly re-branding exercise.

I doubt that is the full story. I have little doubt that the handbooks were ready but that management was waiting to spring this wonderful surprise at The NEC show lest their wonderful, exciting news be diluted. For me a little dilution of the exaltation would have been no bad thing

This topic has been locked, no new replies can be added.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook