Caravanner of the Year on BBC this April!

RochelleCC replied on 14/04/2016 11:38

Posted on 14/04/2016 11:38

We are delighted to announce that our ‘Caravanner of the Year’ competition was filmed by the BBC and will be on BBC2 on 20 and 27 April!

We hope it gets you in the mood for getting out there and enjoying the summer season on our wonderful sites network.

The enthusiasts were faced with a variety of challenges covering activities such as manoeuvring, navigation, hospitality and caravanning knowledge.  There was also the precision challenge of the Concours D’Elegance which demanded much polishing and primping of their vehicles!

The first programme will introduce the entrants and whittle them down to the three finalists.

Tune in and watch, and don’t forget to tell your friends and family about it too!

Follow us on Twitter @CaravanClubCOTY and like our Facebook page Caravanner of the Year and don’t forget to use the hashtag! #caravanclubCOTY

catherinef replied on 27/05/2016 11:45

Posted on 27/05/2016 11:45

I'm sure the club must have received a large amount of correspondence regarding Farcevanner of the Year, yet there isn't a single one printed in the Letters section.  Amazing though that there is a 2 page article on the disgrace.

sherlockholmes replied on 27/05/2016 18:19

Posted on 27/05/2016 18:19

Dearie me, the arrogance and self-applauding of some people i.e. Gary Martin (Editor) on how it’s given the industry a massive boost!  Yes publicity on the programmes he mentions in this month’s magazine, but was it quality? Hardly, to represent the Caravan Club in such a way is a disgrace, 3rd rate TV not even funny and an embarrassment to caravaner’s who take their leisure time away seriously. Nothing like the club blowing their own trumpet on what a fabulous programme this was….. hardly! Read the forums and please take account of ‘ALL’members views!!!!!!!  

SK92 replied on 27/05/2016 21:43

Posted on 27/05/2016 21:43

I think, that although a lot of club members have complained, and The Club seems to think it was a great success, hopefully the majority of people watching it were Caravaners and Motorhomers.And not Joe Bloggs The public. It has certainly given us a bad reputation, with regard to our Hobby and passtime. Look at the forums, about this on other websites. Wonder what will be said this weekend at The Rally ?

Takethedogalong replied on 29/05/2016 11:43

Posted on 29/05/2016 11:43

It is apparently to be an annual event. Perhaps members could have fun devising new challenges for next year? Got to be based on realistic touring challenges though.

Here's one to kick off:

"Emptying the Chemical Toilet" decide whether or not it should be a timed challenge, or more of a "concourse" event. All participants must take part, none of that "Janet and John never use their onboard loo" nonsense, this is touring warts and all!

Personally, I think a timed challenge would be much more interesting, unless GC is doing the checking with his white gloves!Innocent

eddietheeagle replied on 29/05/2016 18:58

Posted on 29/05/2016 18:58

I have just started to read the recent issue of the Caravan Club magazine.I am somewhat surprised by the the comments from the editor,Gary Martin.His comments of the Caravanner of the Year being likened to The Great British Bake Off in some quarters.

Judgeing from the vast responses, I would liken it to the Great British  coc@ up.

IanH replied on 29/05/2016 19:10

Posted on 29/05/2016 19:10

No doubt a comment justifying the CC stance that this was a major success will be along any time now.........

Don't hold your breath.

countax replied on 29/05/2016 20:43

Posted on 29/05/2016 20:43

My wife and I watched one show and  determined that we are NOT "caravanners". We refuse to be associated with the people, ideals and concepts provided by the programme. Henceforth we will assert that we own a tourer yet we are not caravanners. We refuse   to be associated with the clowns who appeared as representatives of some concept known as a caravanner. Well done the CC. What a mess!

countax replied on 29/05/2016 20:45

Posted on 29/05/2016 20:45

Dearie me, the arrogance and self-applauding of some people i.e. Gary Martin (Editor) on how it’s given the industry a massive boost!  Yes publicity on the programmes he mentions in this month’s magazine, but was it quality? Hardly, to represent the Caravan Club in such a way is a disgrace, 3rd rate TV not even funny and an embarrassment to caravaner’s who take their leisure time away seriously. Nothing like the club blowing their own trumpet on what a fabulous programme this was….. hardly! Read the forums and please take account of ‘ALL’members views!!!!!!!  

Write your comments here...I wonder if Garry Martin is a "caravanner".

countax replied on 29/05/2016 20:46

Posted on 29/05/2016 20:46

Hmmm.......I wonder if Garry Martin is a "caravanner".

Write your comments here...

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook