How to thrive on a non 240v site!

Merve replied on 16/01/2017 17:56

Posted on 16/01/2017 17:56

Due to difficulties migrating the original thread, which was massively interesting and popular with members, I am starting another one until the original can be found and  migrated to the Forum.  I apologise to the original OP but I think this is far too important not to be available. Personally, I think, because of the massive moves in technology recently, this subject should have a section by itself. I don't suppose the CC would think about that? So, anything about Solar Panels, LED lighting, Inverters, Safefill even. Anything that assists the caravanners to go off grid in fact - and saves money!!

replied on 21/07/2018 08:50

Posted on 21/07/2018 08:50

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

replied on 21/07/2018 09:46

Posted on 21/07/2018 08:46 by

For the record: don't confuse the ET referred to with me! wink

Posted on 21/07/2018 09:46

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

ocsid replied on 21/07/2018 11:13

Posted on 21/07/2018 08:17 by Boff

@ Brue, I think nearly all manufactures are guilty of obstructing the airflow with the door,  with at least some off their models and as far as I know this against the installation instructions.  Equally I have friends who are convinced that winter fridge covers are to stop drafts.   I posted about cleaning the flue I did it about 6 weeks ago and it worked.  

@ Merve, can you post a link to the tweet.  

Posted on 21/07/2018 11:13

Still probably on theme as with gas powering the fridge, things are more pushed due to the flues contribution.

Are we sure that habitation doors closing on fridge vents obstruct their function, or do they arguably augment them? Hopefully they close with a designed gap.

Spaced ideally the door could then well augment the "chimney effect" so improving the air flow over the heat exchanger's coils.

IMO, the bigger problem with them there is that is the awning side, so it causes restrictions.

Boff replied on 21/07/2018 12:44

Posted on 21/07/2018 12:44

@ Merve, Thanks very interesting as my nearest Morrison’s selling lpg is about a mile away.

@ Brue and Ocsid, the strange part of the fridge not cooling on gas.  In both cases, which were approximately 10 years apart, was the fridge had been working perfectly the previous weekend.  Also visually I didn’t seem to shift much dirt and certainly nothing like cobweb, but the fridge cooled fine afterwards.  The current fridge manual states helpfully that it should be serviced annually or more often if used on gas.  With absolutely no definition of what more often actually means.

brue replied on 21/07/2018 13:09

Posted on 21/07/2018 13:09

We get ours serviced every year, basically we should have set the fridge at a lower temperature at the start, not overloaded it and not opened the door too much whilst the thermostat did it's work. I even had a look on YouTube after the event and there was some helpful advice on there. At first OH was convinced the thermostat had gone. It was an expensive lesson food wise. But when you're off EHU you're dependent on alternative means. Our habitation door does cover the vents so although there might be some vertical airflow in hot calm weather it didn't help. We don't use an awning and just had a canopy and partial windbreak up.

So there you go, read the instructions and follow advice....a pity we lost the other thread on this subject. Air flow inside the fridge and outside too, temperature settings and time allowed to reach settings and not too much food in one go.

Oh and don't take one gas bottle if you can take two. The nearest gas supplier might be a fair old walk, they don't all deliver. wink

Thanks for all the suggestions, always useful. smile

Boff replied on 21/07/2018 13:38

Posted on 21/07/2018 13:38

1 gas bottle, school boy/girl error. I speak from experience frown

A autochange over regulator is one of my top accessories and cheaper than a replacement trauma regulator. 

Merve replied on 25/07/2018 18:22

Posted on 21/07/2018 12:44 by Boff

@ Merve, Thanks very interesting as my nearest Morrisonโ€™s selling lpg is about a mile away.

@ Brue and Ocsid, the strange part of the fridge not cooling on gas.  In both cases, which were approximately 10 years apart, was the fridge had been working perfectly the previous weekend.  Also visually I didnโ€™t seem to shift much dirt and certainly nothing like cobweb, but the fridge cooled fine afterwards.  The current fridge manual states helpfully that it should be serviced annually or more often if used on gas.  With absolutely no definition of what more often actually means.

Posted on 25/07/2018 18:22

Just a thought. The gas valve which is situated at the front right  behind the plastic trim- on ours anyway can stick. Particularly after a long cold wet winter so if your fridge isn’t getting any gas but everything is switched on, try a sharp tap on the gas valve ( the big brass assembly) and that can free it. Worked for me just fine. 

Bakers2 replied on 27/07/2018 15:18

Posted on 27/07/2018 15:18

Merve posting a link HERE which you may not of seen. Hope you check this thread fairly regularly ๐Ÿ˜‰. Rowena is looking for basic sites users,  just up your street me thinks ๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜‰

Merve replied on 27/07/2018 23:02

Posted on 27/07/2018 15:18 by Bakers2

Merve posting a link HERE which you may not of seen. Hope you check this thread fairly regularly ๐Ÿ˜‰. Rowena is looking for basic sites users,  just up your street me thinks ๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜‰

Posted on 27/07/2018 23:02

Thanks Bakers- good of you. Have done the necessary. 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook