How to thrive on a non 240v site!

Merve replied on 16/01/2017 17:56

Posted on 16/01/2017 17:56

Due to difficulties migrating the original thread, which was massively interesting and popular with members, I am starting another one until the original can be found and  migrated to the Forum.  I apologise to the original OP but I think this is far too important not to be available. Personally, I think, because of the massive moves in technology recently, this subject should have a section by itself. I don't suppose the CC would think about that? So, anything about Solar Panels, LED lighting, Inverters, Safefill even. Anything that assists the caravanners to go off grid in fact - and saves money!!

Bakers2 replied on 28/07/2018 08:39

Posted on 27/07/2018 23:02 by Merve

Thanks Bakers- good of you. Have done the necessary. 

Posted on 28/07/2018 08:39

My pleasure Merve. I hope the article the magazine produces us a good one 😉. The other times they've touched on 'basic' haven't been inspiring 😔.

I've learnt a lot from your posts, thank you. we had a solar panel on the motorhome when we bought it but you gave us the courage to try it. We're not off grid as often as you but I feel confident when we are thanks to you.

I think you should write an article a offer it to magazines why not get some return even if you pass it on to charity. 

Merve replied on 28/07/2018 11:02

Posted on 28/07/2018 08:39 by Bakers2

My pleasure Merve. I hope the article the magazine produces us a good one 😉. The other times they've touched on 'basic' haven't been inspiring 😔.

I've learnt a lot from your posts, thank you. we had a solar panel on the motorhome when we bought it but you gave us the courage to try it. We're not off grid as often as you but I feel confident when we are thanks to you.

I think you should write an article a offer it to magazines why not get some return even if you pass it on to charity. 

Posted on 28/07/2018 11:02

Couldn’t agree more with your comment about previous articles in the mag being uninspiring! Spot on! They use the word ‘BASIC’  far to glibly - it just isn’t that! I don’t want and my wife certainly doesn’t want to be part of the “Bucket & Chuck It Brigade!!” and I’m afraid that that is the impression they give-  I’m  so pleased Rowena and the team have asked for this- it might make a few think and might save a few many hundreds of pounds as it has me.

It’s great to know that my rantings are appreciated somewhere Bakers!! Not everyone, as you can imagine, is so appreciative! Non EHU is rather like learning to swim for the first time- you just have to have faith in those armbands when you launch yourself for the first time. It’s the same with non EHU- you just have to have faith that the technology will work and I have to say, for me, it’s been fantastic. I had fears and doubts- “am I doing the right thing” bounced around my head whilst I was involved in fitting the kit needed but It’s opened up so much for me and the OH. The Lithium has taken us to another level. The more you’re offgrid, the more you’ll forget about an EHU. There is no doubt that the technology that has come through in the last 10 years has changed the game for caravanners and MHers. Embrace it and enjoy it- that’s what they made it for- to make our lives better- and the fact that it’s a hell of a lot cheaper is a massive bonus. Thanks for your kind words. I hope to write an article as you and David suggest. 

Johnny57 replied on 28/07/2018 16:05

Posted on 28/07/2018 16:05

I agree with you Merve using “Basic” and to some extent “Non Ehu” is rather negative. I prefer “Off-Grid”
Keep up the rantings!

replied on 28/07/2018 19:41

Posted on 28/07/2018 19:41

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

replied on 29/07/2018 20:35

Posted on 29/07/2018 15:15 by Merve

Sorry folks- please replace rantings ( meant in jest) with ‘Sage Council! ‘

Posted on 29/07/2018 20:35

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

Merve replied on 05/08/2018 20:14

Posted on 28/07/2018 16:05 by Johnny57

I agree with you Merve using “Basic” and to some extent “Non Ehu” is rather negative. I prefer “Off-Grid”
Keep up the rantings!

Posted on 05/08/2018 20:14

I had a word with Gary Martin in Editorial a couple of days ago regarding the article that Rowena has requested re offgrid caravanning. I told him that the use of ‘Back to Basics’ did very little for the substantive minority  that now enjoy full facility caravanning even if they are in their own vans. He agreed and hopefully we will get an article that moves on from that mindset and will show folk just what is possible with the modern technologies. 

stevo554 replied on 12/12/2018 10:32

Posted on 12/12/2018 10:32

Hi Merv,

I have fitted a 200 watt SP with MPPT controller, 2 x LDF90 batteries and a 1500 watt inverter.  I fitted a Victron BMV 712 battery monitor with shunt.  However what concern me currently is that at this time of year, the solar panel is not able to fully charge the batteries up each day.

Am I missing something?

Thanks in anticipation

Stevo 

young thomas replied on 12/12/2018 10:47

Posted on 12/12/2018 10:47

Steve, my 100w SP keeps my 2 X 95ah leisure battery and vehicle battery all full, with the van on the drive.

my first check would be to make sure you are getting a raised voltage at the leisure batteries....easy with a volt meter in sunshine....

also, it's possible there may be some sort of draw on the batteries you dont know about...

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook