Non-members on CLs

Threebarkingdogs replied on 16/10/2021 12:40

Posted on 16/10/2021 12:40

No names (just yet...).

On a CL (which has recently changed hands) the other week when a single guy in VW T5 home conversion turns up late at night and is away again 6am the next morning.  When speaking to the CL owner the next morning I said I was surprised to see he'd let someone stay in a van with no toilet (given that the CL has no toilets).  He seemed a little vague as to whether the person was a club member (I suspect he wasn't).

Is either issue acceptable?  Certainly I think the no toilet issue is a complete no no and I'm not over the moon about letting non members in just out of greed (well what other reason is there?).

Andy

Tinwheeler replied on 16/10/2021 12:55

Posted on 16/10/2021 12:55

CLs are for members only. That is in the terms of the exemption permission granted by this club to the CL owner. Breaches of the terms can put the whole system in jeopardy and the club wants to know about them in order to safeguard its own position and you will find similar discussions in the CL section of this forum.

The email address for reporting is - clresponse@camc.com

As for toilet arrangements, none of us can know what tiny Porta Potti may be tucked away in a VW camper and many do have them on board.

Takethedogalong replied on 16/10/2021 13:18

Posted on 16/10/2021 13:18

My Neice’s little Citroen camper conversion has a tiny porta potti on board for night times, so that’s one speculation that can be dispensed with, and we have seen lots of other small outfits with just the same. 

eurortraveller replied on 16/10/2021 13:22

Posted on 16/10/2021 13:22

“Suspecting” someone is not a Club member - please tell us what to look out for so that we can all be on guard. 

MikeyA replied on 16/10/2021 13:23

Posted on 16/10/2021 13:23

turns up late at night and is away again 6am the next morning.

At least he seems to have paid to stay!

Cornersteady replied on 16/10/2021 13:37

Posted on 16/10/2021 13:22 by eurortraveller

“Suspecting” someone is not a Club member - please tell us what to look out for so that we can all be on guard. 

Posted on 16/10/2021 13:37

It doesn't matter what the OP suspects, or what to look for, it's the fact that the CL owner wasn't sure or a little vague.

Now you might not like or apricate the CL system but others do, quite a lot, and this possible breach could put the whole system at risk. Won't affect you of course.

Cornersteady replied on 16/10/2021 13:38

Posted on 16/10/2021 13:23 by MikeyA

turns up late at night and is away again 6am the next morning.

At least he seems to have paid to stay!

Posted on 16/10/2021 13:38

Yes but maybe it was then too dark to apricate the space and individuality of the site so he paid for nothing? laughing

Takethedogalong replied on 16/10/2021 13:40

Posted on 16/10/2021 13:40

It’s not unknown for us to roll into a CL very late, and be back on the road again very early. It’s what some on tour do, stay legally overnight on a CL rather than a layby or hedge bottom, agreed with owner. I might get a printed sheet done to put in window explaining who we are, our Membership number, what we are doing. Then other folks can sleep soundly at night, and not worry about things for weeks after.

Actually having proof someone isn’t a Member is a whole lot different to speculating they might not be. One should be reported, the other is like saying your next door neighbour might be an axe murderer, but you aren’t quite sure🤷‍♀️

Takethedogalong replied on 16/10/2021 14:07

Posted on 16/10/2021 13:59 by EmilysDad

Too many people worry about what others might be or might not be doing  ...🙄🙄

Posted on 16/10/2021 14:07

It’s been one of the noticeable things since the first lockdown. We are off to a lovely CL soon, been using it for the last 30 plus years, without any issues. For some reason this last year, owner’s neighbour has been giving the owner a lot of grief, over trivia. Nothing that the Club would investigate, but  let’s just say cars are now being parked to make life difficult for those visiting. It’s quiet, tucked away, been there for over 45 years.🤷‍♀️

This topic has been locked, no new replies can be added.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook