What have you seen

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2016 07:48

Posted on 13/12/2016 07:48

I can't see the original sticky so will start a new thread.  Saw nearly 30,000 knot on Breydon Water yesterday.  Great weekend at Minsmere, Otter, Kingfishers, Bitterns, lots of Marsh Harriers

RedKite replied on 18/05/2018 17:41

Posted on 18/05/2018 17:41

Hi we had a surprise today over our field here in the Lot saw 4 large birds on a thermal so grab the bins and had a good look before they all glided away to the south checked tow of my books even the Raptors of the world to find they were Spotted Eagles not normally this far west but they were low enough for me to see all markings and flight pattern, wow made my day as not feeling good with a sinus cold.

Sorry did not have time to get camera for photos.

Wherenext replied on 18/05/2018 19:38

Posted on 18/05/2018 19:38

Really will have to check my posts before sending them in. The Mergansers were properly recorded in my diary last night as Goosanders not as I said on here. Black mark for me.

Had a lovely day on bike and foot today, now pooped. We cycled around part of Lake Chiemsee alongside some meadow fields and the first bird we saw singing at the top of a tree was a Scarlet Rosefinch. I rather like the German name for them of Karmingimpel. We then stopped the bikes before we ran over a small Harvest Mouse that scuttled across the path. Mrs WN did take a photo of it at the edge of the path on her small Fuji but not sure we have brought accessory for loading. Will try to dig it out if we have.

We then watched a Great Crested Grebe whilst we sat on a bench having lunch and he caught a fish about 3/4 the size of himself. We gave up watching him try to eat it but did see another GCG swimming under the water while we were standing on a bridge. The lake waters are crystal clear.

Finally tonight we walked down from the campsite to the barrier on the edge of the Moos and saw 2 Whinchats and a Red Backed Shrike but the best bit was listening to 2 Corncrakes. Unfortunately they didn't show themselves. So a really good day was had.

Wherenext replied on 18/05/2018 19:42

Posted on 18/05/2018 19:42

BM - when we were at Bempton Cliffs last year we found that we saw more birds, closer up when viewing them from Flamborough Head, particularly just after the lighthouse and cafe area heading to Bempton.

Minsmere is Minsmere but try Dunwich Heath for Dartford Warblers, Adders and Nightjars at dusk. We've always enjoyed walking around the reed beds at Walberswick.

Enjoy your trip. I assume you've got your LR back.

Bluemalaga replied on 18/05/2018 19:52

Posted on 18/05/2018 19:42 by Wherenext

BM - when we were at Bempton Cliffs last year we found that we saw more birds, closer up when viewing them from Flamborough Head, particularly just after the lighthouse and cafe area heading to Bempton.

Minsmere is Minsmere but try Dunwich Heath for Dartford Warblers, Adders and Nightjars at dusk. We've always enjoyed walking around the reed beds at Walberswick.

Enjoy your trip. I assume you've got your LR back.

Posted on 18/05/2018 19:52

Thanks WN

I have noted your suggestions and give them a go. We went to Flamborough last time we over that way, amazing number of birds along that coast. Gannets diving is quite spectacular.

LR back after a total farce, four weeks of hassle then they carried out the re-gen that they should have done day one.

Oneputt replied on 18/05/2018 20:11

Posted on 18/05/2018 20:11

As WN says NT Dunnwich Heath is a good place for Dartford Warblers. My best photos have been taken around 6am, they are usually around the gorse bushes as you drive in, just before the toilets.

for the passed couple of years there has been a Bittern nesting about a 100 yards from the Island hide at Minsmere, no idea if it’s there this year.  The adder trail is good to see, adders.laughing

Keep a watch on surfbirds East Anglia and also Penny’s hot birding blogg to see what’s around.  Could be Dottrels about Choseley Barns, which is a couple miles from Titchwell, but on the opposite side of the road

Bluemalaga replied on 18/05/2018 23:23

Posted on 18/05/2018 23:23

OP

Several pages ago we discussed Hen Harriers andwhere to find them. Would you think they will still be visible and where best to see them now. I still  have never seen one.

Bluemalaga replied on 19/05/2018 11:01

Posted on 19/05/2018 11:01

I was hoping to post a video of the latest saga with our Bluetits. 

Feeding progressing at an alarming rate, so not sure how many chicks we have. It seems that one of the devoted and extremely determined parents has put on weight since feeding began and really struggles to enter the hole, sometimes up to 12 attempts before forcing its tiny body through the hole. This has given us marvelous entertainment over the last week or so. The feeders are quite close to the nest which appears to be on the flight path from nest to next grub, perhaps to many visits.

Looking forward to our trip east despite a bout of scyatica which should enjoy the 5 hour journey.

The only down side is the chicks will have fledged before we return so we will miss the happy event. Hope you like the last pics from the nest this year. The garden shot shows the further nest box as the one in use and the short flight to the feeding station. It is interesting that only grubs go into the nest for the chicks and parents use the feeder for themselves.

RedKite replied on 19/05/2018 11:24

Posted on 19/05/2018 11:24

What fantastic photos and a lovely garden complete with pond, to dry here in the summer but have got a little tub that takes a small solar fountain. Our blue tits have flown and now got a pair of great tits gone into the same box not seen that before.

Enjoy your trip to east of England, Minsmere one of my favourite reserves, hope to see more photos.

As I said on an earlier post could not get  a photo of the eagles going over yesterday but wow what a sight.

Oneputt replied on 19/05/2018 13:57

Posted on 19/05/2018 13:57

In Wolfach this morning and watched 2 family groups of Dippers to get into the water.  Juveniles could fly but only 1 would stick its head into the water.  Think the adults want rid of the babes so they can get on with the next brood.

Haven’t seen any reports re Hen Harriers for a while.  If you take the A149 from Wells towards Sheringham after a couple of miles you will come to a side road to Wareham.  Right opposite the road is a track (on the left) go up there, after a few hundred yards you can park.  Track is rough though.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook