What have you seen

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2016 07:48

Posted on 13/12/2016 07:48

I can't see the original sticky so will start a new thread.  Saw nearly 30,000 knot on Breydon Water yesterday.  Great weekend at Minsmere, Otter, Kingfishers, Bitterns, lots of Marsh Harriers

nelliethehooker replied on 23/05/2018 21:48

Posted on 23/05/2018 21:48

We went down to Spey Bay today and was fortunate to see an Osprey out hunting over the sea at the river mouth. We then spotted another (?) up near the Spey Viaduct, and a Munjac just as it disappeared into the woods by the Speyside Way. There was also a colony of Terns on one of the stone banks in the river, but too far away to determine which species.

Bluemalaga replied on 24/05/2018 08:32

Posted on 24/05/2018 08:32

Jay, thanks, did find it but seems a bit of a faff.

GL, not sure what the 370 for 2 is about, unless my memory has faded on this very relaxing trip.

Almost at the end of our first leg and yet to tire of Minsmere. Met some lovely people and seen things not seen by either of us before.

Highlight yesterday were 2 otters swimming in a channel, Green Woodpecker exiting its nest, pics were taken in really low lighting and long distant but will post on return

The best was reserved till early evening when at about 6.00 pm a male bittern emerged from the reeds about 30 yds from the bittern hide, with crown feathers raised looking like a big black wig, followed by a female then, just as the excitement died down, a second female emerged and flew off. What an end to a great day out.

Last day today at minsmere, so hoping for more of the same.

greylag replied on 24/05/2018 15:44

Posted on 17/05/2018 21:29 by Bluemalaga

They look pretty sharp on here, I have taken my lenses and camera to Canon for calibration under warranty. While there a guy came in with 2 pro bodies and lenses 600mm f4 and the expensive zoom which he has cleaned and serviced twice per year as he does a lot of safari work.

His charge was £370 for same day clean.

Posted on 24/05/2018 15:44

BM.....The 370 for 2 was taken from your post.

Yesterday I was with the man who tag's the Marsh Harriers, I was showing him a nest site that I found and while we stood there, 2 males came so close, displaying to each other and I thought these will be the best pictures ever.  Were they....every one went into the bin.

Today I went back again, pictures still off.  Not a sharp one at all.

Problem is we go away on Saturday for 2 weeks and I can't get into Jessops until we get back.

I have a clued up pal coming round tomorrow evening, might throw some light.

The attached should be sharp, the rest were awful.

Bluemalaga replied on 24/05/2018 20:13

Posted on 24/05/2018 15:44 by greylag

BM.....The 370 for 2 was taken from your post.

Yesterday I was with the man who tag's the Marsh Harriers, I was showing him a nest site that I found and while we stood there, 2 males came so close, displaying to each other and I thought these will be the best pictures ever.  Were they....every one went into the bin.

Today I went back again, pictures still off.  Not a sharp one at all.

Problem is we go away on Saturday for 2 weeks and I can't get into Jessops until we get back.

I have a clued up pal coming round tomorrow evening, might throw some light.

The attached should be sharp, the rest were awful.

Posted on 24/05/2018 20:13

Sorry GL

I had forgotten about the previous post. I have been trying for a while to understand why I cannot get sharp pics of most brown birds and I can only assume that the focus system on the Canon camera does not seem able to focus on moving brown birds. My 5D mk4 has the latest focus system canon has on offer and whatever I do it will not produce sharp images of Bittern, Harriers or most other brown birds, especially if there is a distracting background.I have binned every shot taken of a harrier this week and almost all Bittern shots that were in flight, despite having the camera checked by Canon only 2 months or so ago.

If you resolve it, let me know, I am at the point of moving to Nikon which seems capable in the guise of the D500 of very sharp harrier pics.

Just to make you feel better, I have seen many pics taken this week with very expensive kit, and we are not the only ones struggling with Harriers. They along with bitterns do not have really distinct paternation, it is rather vague, which does not help.

Bluemalaga replied on 25/05/2018 08:14

Posted on 25/05/2018 08:14

Hi GL

We are moving up to North Walsham today planning to visit the usual reserves along the North coast, grateful for any suggestions on best places at present? 

greylag replied on 25/05/2018 10:00

Posted on 25/05/2018 10:00

I am so glad you said that about brown  birds.  I have thought that for a long time...brown seems to splurge? Into a brown mess.

It is no guarantee that a bright blue sky will illuminate brown harriers enough to show detail.

I do not have a problem taking sharp images, I can pan with the best of them, but this week it has all gone to pot.

I have a Marsh harrier nesting 50 yards away and when the male spirals down onto the nest, I should be able to get sharp pic's but No!

It has now reached the point of leaving the camera at home next week and taking it into Jessops when we went get back.

The bird ringer has invited me to witness some harrier tagging.....should be a treat.

BM....were I here, I would have invited you visit my patch on your way through South Norfolk.

greylag replied on 25/05/2018 10:02

Posted on 25/05/2018 10:02

BM

Call into Horsey gap...should be lots of seal around and next door at Winterton on Sea they have nesting Little Terms.

Bluemalaga replied on 25/05/2018 10:23

Posted on 25/05/2018 10:02 by greylag

BM

Call into Horsey gap...should be lots of seal around and next door at Winterton on Sea they have nesting Little Terms.

Posted on 25/05/2018 10:23

Thanks GL

It would have been good to meet, we are in Yorkshire the following week to visit Bempton etc.

The 5d uses contrast and colour to track a subject, I guess the patterns on brown birds and green and brown background prove to be to much. I have some nice shots of a male bittern that is stationary in reeds but single point focus overcame the need for tracking.

we have a fairly large circle of togs who bump into each other regularly and the canon v nikon debate is always won by the Nikon guys and us poor canon togs get a lot of stick for failing to get any sharp pics. It is very annoying to wait until the bird has passed before acquiring focus while the Nikon guys get several sharp images with the birds eye glinting.

D500 and D850 giving very sharp pics. If you have a mind to look At Flickr and Pete Blanchard’s pics, you will see what I mean. It is not only the camera, he is very good at bird pics. You can also see what camera settings he uses.

have a good holiday

greylag replied on 25/05/2018 12:12

Posted on 25/05/2018 12:12

Fed up looking other people's sharp pic's....certainly could not(would not) afford to change camera.

Just done a few shots in garden at printed page and the 100/400  at 100mm is not as clear/sharp as the 100.mm Sigma...both at F10.

My pal is coming round tonight, but I'm not expecting too much.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook