What have you seen

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2016 07:48

Posted on 13/12/2016 07:48

I can't see the original sticky so will start a new thread.  Saw nearly 30,000 knot on Breydon Water yesterday.  Great weekend at Minsmere, Otter, Kingfishers, Bitterns, lots of Marsh Harriers

Bluemalaga replied on 20/04/2018 20:54

Posted on 20/04/2018 20:54

We opened the blinds this morning just as a Sparrow Hawk flashed passed the feeders. Fortunately for every other bird, they were unattended.

Following this, we noticed that the Bluetits were no longer carrying sticks and grasses to the nest box but were helping themselves to the Husky fur donated by the family Malamut "Jake" as a lining material, which we stuffed into an old feeder.

Several beak fulls went inside the box before the courtship began.

The female appeared to be shivering with wings slightly down to the side. Then the male brought her a sunflower heart before the deed was done. Looks like we will get to see the youngsters fledge as the box is about 10 metres from our kitchen window with the opening facing us.

The van is packed up ready for a week on the Somerset levels with trips to Greylake, Westhay, Shapwick and Ham Wall planned with Steart Marshes as an option if we get time. Hoping to hear our first Bittern Booming this trip.

How did your American Bittern spotting pan out Oneputt? looks like it is still about over there.

neveramsure replied on 20/04/2018 22:00

Posted on 20/04/2018 22:00

That looks like a happy couple BM, thanks to your help with the nesting material.smile

Bluemalaga replied on 20/04/2018 22:13

Posted on 20/04/2018 22:00 by neveramsure

That looks like a happy couple BM, thanks to your help with the nesting material.smile

Posted on 20/04/2018 22:13

I tried a piece of toast and a a duvet with the OH, but it didn't work out as well.

brue replied on 21/04/2018 17:59

Posted on 21/04/2018 17:59

Something a bit different, seen on our visit to the lovely Trebah Gardens in Cornwall this week and I might also put a few extra pics in the story section later. Gazing into the beautiful koi pond a newcomer in the shape of a freshwater sturgeon. Not a very clear photo, but I tried my best as he moved around. The gardens are looking stunning just now, lots of lush new growth and colour. smile

RedKite replied on 21/04/2018 20:26

Posted on 21/04/2018 20:26

BM enjoy your break in Somerset you will be around my old stomping grounds and plenty to see also possible the Cranes, very envious.

Have had two nightingales singing this early am 1 in front of the house and one behind in next door's field even managed to spot one with the binoculars, they are singing again this evening.

We have a pair of blue tits nesting in a nest box attached to a post next to OH's shed very busy now feeding the chicks and at last some oak trees are out in leaf so should be some caterpillars about for the chicks.

Lovely pictures of Trebah gardens brue not been there.

neveramsure replied on 21/04/2018 21:42

Posted on 21/04/2018 21:42

Thanks for the great pics Brue.

I had two unusual sightings today.

The first was a Newt I spotted on the path alongside the main road. It may have been ill as it hardly moved when I picked it up and placed it in the grass.

The second was a Field Mouse that I spotted in a flower bed when in St Annes. It kept nipping out for any crumbs that people had dropped when eating their butties.laughing

Sorry no pics.

Pliers replied on 21/04/2018 22:33

Posted on 21/04/2018 22:33

Stroll across the moors down to the Ribble today. Common Sandpipers moving through and sand martins taking residence. Snipe still displaying on the moors, lots of wheatear on the drystone walls, swallows flying round the farm buildings, what a change from last week!

ABM replied on 21/04/2018 22:56

Posted on 21/04/2018 17:59 by brue

Something a bit different, seen on our visit to the lovely Trebah Gardens in Cornwall this week and I might also put a few extra pics in the story section later. Gazing into the beautiful koi pond a newcomer in the shape of a freshwater sturgeon. Not a very clear photo, but I tried my best as he moved around. The gardens are looking stunning just now, lots of lush new growth and colour. smile

Posted on 21/04/2018 22:56

?? Caviar  butties  for  tea  then,  brue  ?? wink

brue replied on 22/04/2018 13:07

Posted on 22/04/2018 13:07

I would have to ask the Queen first before tucking into a Sturgeon or even a Swan Pie....winklaughing

I hadn't seen a sturgeon close up before, an attractive fish to watch. 

ABM replied on 22/04/2018 15:59

Posted on 22/04/2018 15:59

And  from  Dinosaur  times  as  well,  Brue  !!

Wikip  says  some  of  'em  can  live  for  100  Years  surprised  and  grow  to 2000pounds  or  more  !  need  a  lot  of  bread crumbs  & a gi-normous  frying  pan  there  wink !!

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook