What have you seen

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2016 07:48

Posted on 13/12/2016 07:48

I can't see the original sticky so will start a new thread.  Saw nearly 30,000 knot on Breydon Water yesterday.  Great weekend at Minsmere, Otter, Kingfishers, Bitterns, lots of Marsh Harriers

RedKite replied on 15/04/2018 13:09

Posted on 15/04/2018 13:09

Sorry Bluemalaga we are in the Lot France. Quite a few Black Kites flying around local town yesterday. Just to make you laugh got all excited when I saw what looked like birds of prey in the distant from our kitchen window got the binoculars close by and to find 5 parachutes coming down in the distant.

RedKite replied on 15/04/2018 15:49

Posted on 15/04/2018 15:49

No we live here now full time but will be over in UK in September for a visit to North Devon and West Somerset with the caravan.

Have got resident kestrels flying over our small field and the birdsong in the morning is getting better have been very quiet due to the weather.

Hope to get away in June to the next Department of the Tarn to visit the Foret  de Gresigne as very good for birds of prey also to check what butterflies are in that area, will be visiting the Brenne in May so will see what is about, will try to get some pictures and put on here after our visits.

A good area to visit and plenty of wildlife about never know what you are going to see next.

Bluemalaga replied on 15/04/2018 20:33

Posted on 15/04/2018 15:49 by RedKite

No we live here now full time but will be over in UK in September for a visit to North Devon and West Somerset with the caravan.

Have got resident kestrels flying over our small field and the birdsong in the morning is getting better have been very quiet due to the weather.

Hope to get away in June to the next Department of the Tarn to visit the Foret  de Gresigne as very good for birds of prey also to check what butterflies are in that area, will be visiting the Brenne in May so will see what is about, will try to get some pictures and put on here after our visits.

A good area to visit and plenty of wildlife about never know what you are going to see next.

Posted on 15/04/2018 20:33

We are just planning our first trip. Not sure where to go just yet, Somerset levels or East coast.

Just read that a Hoopoe hasbeen spotted today justnorth of Bristol just 5 miles from home.

cyberyacht replied on 16/04/2018 08:33

Posted on 16/04/2018 08:33

Seen a few near where we used to have our apartment in Spain but never seen one in the UK despite being in the south.

brue replied on 16/04/2018 08:44

Posted on 16/04/2018 08:44

We've had one local visitor in our Somerset village a few years ago so maybe they are around again. smile

Oneputt replied on 16/04/2018 08:59

Posted on 16/04/2018 08:59

Morning visitors, Siskin on feeder and 2 Gold Finches pinching nesting materials from the planter

greylag replied on 16/04/2018 19:29

Posted on 12/04/2018 19:55 by Bluemalaga

Thanks Nevers, Brue and H&T

I seem to be following in the footsteps of Greylag and his Redpolls, which I enjoyed very much, but housebound at present and in need of entertainment, which the garden birds are providing.

Update on the great Bluetit nest project. I guess this is probably the first nest built by this pair and they have not stopped again all day. They have collected so much, that they can no longer get in the hole very well and have to force more material through. The box looks like it is full up to the entrance, with material sticking out of the hole.

First cup of tea this morning was enjoyed with 7 Goldfinch on the feeders and for the first time since I have been feeding the birds, a pair actually took to the Niger seeds. Our regular female Blackcap came along as usual, but accompanied now by a male. Also about half a dozen Long Tailed tits have become regular visitors, spending several hours on the fat balls and surrounding bushes. What absolutely gorgeous little birds these are.

Posted on 16/04/2018 19:29

BM

Garden is very quiet, Just Tits and Gold Finches....Redpolls long gone.

We watched a par of Dunnocks bringing in nesting material and they chose a small bush by back door....not a good spot...too close to the door.

Nest is a work of art...they laid 3 eggs over 5 days and were never seen on the nest...now the nest is deserted.  What do you do with 3 blue eggs and a lovely nest?  I know, just leave it.

The Blue Tit who slept in the nest box, every night since November has not tried building a nest, just comes and goes.

New dog means I cannot Peregrine watch this year.....really miss it.

Wherenext replied on 16/04/2018 21:46

Posted on 15/04/2018 13:09 by RedKite

Sorry Bluemalaga we are in the Lot France. Quite a few Black Kites flying around local town yesterday. Just to make you laugh got all excited when I saw what looked like birds of prey in the distant from our kitchen window got the binoculars close by and to find 5 parachutes coming down in the distant.

Posted on 16/04/2018 21:46

Nice to hear what's about in France, RK. We love La Brenne, our first ever area visited many moons ago. What campsite do you use as we've always struggled to find a really conveniently placed one, usually ending up at the one in Vendoeuvres, which is ok? Don't like the one at Ls Blanc but many years since we were there.

Hope to call in at La Brenne next May.

neveramsure replied on 16/04/2018 22:15

Posted on 16/04/2018 22:15

Had a few visitors in the garden in the last couple of days. Sorry the pics are a bit foggy, they were taken at an angle through the window.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook