What have you seen

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2016 07:48

Posted on 13/12/2016 07:48

I can't see the original sticky so will start a new thread.  Saw nearly 30,000 knot on Breydon Water yesterday.  Great weekend at Minsmere, Otter, Kingfishers, Bitterns, lots of Marsh Harriers

Bluemalaga replied on 12/04/2018 19:55

Posted on 12/04/2018 19:55

Thanks Nevers, Brue and H&T

I seem to be following in the footsteps of Greylag and his Redpolls, which I enjoyed very much, but housebound at present and in need of entertainment, which the garden birds are providing.

Update on the great Bluetit nest project. I guess this is probably the first nest built by this pair and they have not stopped again all day. They have collected so much, that they can no longer get in the hole very well and have to force more material through. The box looks like it is full up to the entrance, with material sticking out of the hole.

First cup of tea this morning was enjoyed with 7 Goldfinch on the feeders and for the first time since I have been feeding the birds, a pair actually took to the Niger seeds. Our regular female Blackcap came along as usual, but accompanied now by a male. Also about half a dozen Long Tailed tits have become regular visitors, spending several hours on the fat balls and surrounding bushes. What absolutely gorgeous little birds these are.

brue replied on 13/04/2018 13:05

Posted on 13/04/2018 13:05

Our group of long tailed tits has stayed close to us through the winter, it will be interesting to see if this habit persists. Previously we got occasional visits as they combed through the trees and bushes. They now seem to like the feeders and our habitat.

neveramsure replied on 13/04/2018 17:15

Posted on 13/04/2018 17:15

Great pics again BM.cool

Our winter flocks of Long Tailed Tits have now been replaced by just one pair that come and go all day long, probably nesting not too far away. The only time we get Goldfinches is when we put seeds out but the starlings come mob handed and scatter them everywhere. Another regular visitor is the Lesser Spotted Woodpecker and the occasional Nuthatch also pays us a visit. 

Just going to take the dog now, in-between the wet weather.

HelenandTrevor replied on 13/04/2018 17:21

Posted on 13/04/2018 17:21

Lovely photos again BM. I've never seen any long tailed tits in our garden  although I have seen some in our local park, and we had some on a feeder we put out while at Hunters Moon club site.

Fisherman replied on 14/04/2018 15:05

Posted on 14/04/2018 15:05

Great exitement round the nest boxes this morning. Noticed the fly catcher male had turned up. Trying his best to eject the resident tits.

Pliers replied on 14/04/2018 19:00

Posted on 14/04/2018 19:00

Sand martins flying over the Ribble at Sawley this morning. And about time too, only 3 weeks late!

We still have a couple of bramblings visiting our garden feeders, expect they'll be off pretty soon.

RedKite replied on 14/04/2018 19:56

Posted on 14/04/2018 19:56

Hoopoes have arrived here in the last two days again later than last year and a lot of the migrants are later this year, at least it is warming up now. Also had Alpine Swifts flying over heading for higher areas than us.

Bluemalaga replied on 14/04/2018 21:58

Posted on 14/04/2018 19:56 by RedKite

Hoopoes have arrived here in the last two days again later than last year and a lot of the migrants are later this year, at least it is warming up now. Also had Alpine Swifts flying over heading for higher areas than us.

Posted on 14/04/2018 21:58

Thanks for the info RedKite, but whereabouts are they?

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook