What have you seen

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2016 07:48

Posted on 13/12/2016 07:48

I can't see the original sticky so will start a new thread.  Saw nearly 30,000 knot on Breydon Water yesterday.  Great weekend at Minsmere, Otter, Kingfishers, Bitterns, lots of Marsh Harriers

nelliethehooker replied on 22/04/2018 20:53

Posted on 22/04/2018 20:53

Nothing really startling today but interesting all the same. Lots of Buzzards, and the odd Red Kite, Lapwings, Oystercatchers and our first sighting of a House Martin. In the hedgerows our first BlueBells, clusters of Violets including a patch of white ones, and still plenty of Primroses in bloom.

Bluemalaga replied on 22/04/2018 21:16

Posted on 22/04/2018 21:16

Set up today at Old Oaks site at Glastonbury. What a lovely site, thefirst cuppa was enjoyed in the company of a pied flycatcher. Quite a surprise, it landed just a few feet away. Hadn't even got the camera out.

Oneputt replied on 24/04/2018 11:09

Posted on 24/04/2018 11:09

See there are Dottrels back in Norfolk, also just read that there is a Pallid Harrier at Winterton on Sea.

neveramsure replied on 24/04/2018 19:13

Posted on 24/04/2018 19:13

It has been a rather wet day here and so I decided to watch the garden birds from the comfort of our conservatory. I did see a Bullfinch but unfortunately it was very camera shy.

Here are some less shy birds.

Bluemalaga replied on 25/04/2018 09:24

Posted on 24/04/2018 19:13 by neveramsure

It has been a rather wet day here and so I decided to watch the garden birds from the comfort of our conservatory. I did see a Bullfinch but unfortunately it was very camera shy.

Here are some less shy birds.

Posted on 25/04/2018 09:24

Nice pics NAS, but what on earth do those Lancashire woodpeckers eat? Brings back memories of that old classic about ants, rubber trees and high hopes.

Bluemalaga replied on 25/04/2018 09:59

Posted on 25/04/2018 09:59

The weather is not as good as last weeks forecast but dry enough to get out to local nature reserves near Glastonbury.

we had 5 sightings of bittern yesterday probably only 3 birds. Marsh harriers appear to be nesting close to the left side of the Avalon hide at Ham Wall. We had a great display when a second pair got to close, ariel battle took place for about 2 minutes.

Bitterns heard booming all over the marsh 19 males recorded and 4 others at greylake.

neveramsure replied on 26/04/2018 22:14

Posted on 26/04/2018 22:14

I have yet to see a Marsh Harrier BM. That aerial battle sounds impressive.smile

After the second day of cleaning a load of bird droppings off the car paintwork, I decided to make some drastic changes. No more suet blocks as they attract the starlings and magpies, just stick with the seed feeders, peanuts and the Birdy-Butter for the woodpecker.

Also I need to removed the starlings favorite perch, our tv aerial, which protrudes over the drive where I park the car. Today I fitted a new aerial in the loft and it works perfectly. Just need to take the old one down now when we get a fine day.smile

Pliers replied on 26/04/2018 22:45

Posted on 26/04/2018 22:14 by neveramsure

I have yet to see a Marsh Harrier BM. That aerial battle sounds impressive.smile

After the second day of cleaning a load of bird droppings off the car paintwork, I decided to make some drastic changes. No more suet blocks as they attract the starlings and magpies, just stick with the seed feeders, peanuts and the Birdy-Butter for the woodpecker.

Also I need to removed the starlings favorite perch, our tv aerial, which protrudes over the drive where I park the car. Today I fitted a new aerial in the loft and it works perfectly. Just need to take the old one down now when we get a fine day.smile

Posted on 26/04/2018 22:45

Marsh harriers showing "just up the road ", (well, the M6) at Leighton Moss on Tuesday, Neveramsure. Worth a visit! 😊

Oneputt replied on 27/04/2018 08:45

Posted on 27/04/2018 08:45

For years now we have had a flock of up to 25 starlings around and often the garden was covered with them.  About 3 weeks ago their was a flock of several thousand arrive probably getting ready for migration back to Europe.  After these migrants left I have only seen a single starling around the garden so don't know whether the rest went with the main flock.

We have two good marsh harrier spotting areas.  RSPB Strumpshaw always have a few but NWT Hickling Broad (where they roost) has had as many as 32 at one time.

Oneputt replied on 29/04/2018 11:20

Posted on 29/04/2018 11:20

Suddenly we have been inundated with male blackbirds.  Counted a dozen or more in and around the garden this morning.  Possibly they will be migrating shortly?

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook