What have you seen

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2016 07:48

Posted on 13/12/2016 07:48

I can't see the original sticky so will start a new thread.  Saw nearly 30,000 knot on Breydon Water yesterday.  Great weekend at Minsmere, Otter, Kingfishers, Bitterns, lots of Marsh Harriers

nelliethehooker replied on 13/03/2018 20:02

Posted on 13/03/2018 20:02

Good day for me at Alkborough. As well as a number of Marsh Harriers, a pair of Pintails, many Black Tailed Godwits, Dunlins, Lapwings, Teal and Shelducks I heard a Cetti's Warbler. Although I did hear a Water Rail I missed one walking past the bird hide when I'd gone for a wander up towards the Trent.yell However when I was walking back to the car park saw a couple of pairs of Bearded Tits (a first for me).laughing Sorry no photos, unfortunately.

neveramsure replied on 13/03/2018 22:05

Posted on 13/03/2018 20:02 by nelliethehooker

Good day for me at Alkborough. As well as a number of Marsh Harriers, a pair of Pintails, many Black Tailed Godwits, Dunlins, Lapwings, Teal and Shelducks I heard a Cetti's Warbler. Although I did hear a Water Rail I missed one walking past the bird hide when I'd gone for a wander up towards the Trent.yell However when I was walking back to the car park saw a couple of pairs of Bearded Tits (a first for me).laughing Sorry no photos, unfortunately.

Posted on 13/03/2018 22:05

Sounds like you had a good day Nellie.smile

I saw some Bearded Tits for the first time last year on the reserve near Alkborough, in the Humber Estuary, a nice looking bird.

Oneputt replied on 14/03/2018 07:30

Posted on 12/03/2018 14:55 by Pliers

Great photos, Oneputt, what a beautiful bird!

We're off to Norfolk next Tuesday for a week, hope it's still about. 😊

Posted on 14/03/2018 07:30

The Snowy owl hasn't been seen for 2 days so looks like it's flown off unless its at Scolt Island.

Have a great trip Plierslaughing

Bluemalaga replied on 14/03/2018 10:34

Posted on 14/03/2018 10:34

The Barn Owl turned up just as I had given up at Aust yesterday. Instructions from OH to be home for 6.30 meant the owl had to be ignored. 

However saw two things I had not seen before during my wait. The area has a varied number of birds, but not always visible. The ones usually on display are Short Eared Owls, Buzzard, Merlin, Kestrel, Peregrines and Barn owl late on.

Saw my first Peregrine stoop, fairly distant, but what speed, incredible. It went behind some trees, so don't know if it caught anything.

The second was late in the afternoon while waiting for a glimpse of the Barn Owl. There were four SEO's hunting and treating the throng of daily visitors to an arial conflict with very loud hissing at each other. One of the owls then strayed to the Barn Owl hunting ground and caught a vole. Surprisingly to me, it carried the vole in its beak to a small clump of grass and hid it for later. Flew off and repeated the whole thing again. I have not witnessed this before. Then it flew up again and caught a third vole, all within about 10 minutes. The owl flew back to it's usual haunt but was  challenged for its prey by another owl and a Kestrel. Quite spectacular

Looks like tea might be later tonight

Nige W replied on 14/03/2018 14:03

Posted on 14/12/2016 14:27 by brue

Going to try and put photos on away from the experimental comfort zone on feedback. wink

A few years ago we put Mistletoe berries in our apple trees. Nothing happened at first, then we noticed small sproutings on trees we hadn't used. We think the birds had moved things around.

After that we had male only Mistletoe but last year a female berry bearing branch appeared. Spot the difference on these two pics (fingers crossed for something visible!) 

Posted on 14/03/2018 14:03

Although I work as a Technical Advisor for the Club, gardening and wildlife are a passion of mine. For many years I have tried and failed to grow Mistletoe until 2010 when I noticed one of the many berries I had artificially planted on one of my mature apple trees had sprouted. I was over the moon and couldn’t wait to get my own mistletoe plant growing. I only had two leaves appear and there was no sign of any other shoots. Knowing that mistletoe has to have male and female plants to produce berries I knew that this was not going to happen for me. The very next year I was rewarded with yet another mistletoe plant which appeared where I hadn’t actually planted the berry which I assume that the birds had found a berry and moved it to another part of the tree.  The first plant just stayed as it was for two years then all of a sudden started to sprout.  I constantly checked on the two plants but the growth rate was very slow. The next winter we had was quite severe and sadly both of my mistletoe plants suddenly disappeared. I was very saddened by this but it has not discouraged me to keep trying.

brue replied on 14/03/2018 17:17

Posted on 14/03/2018 17:17

Interesting post Nige. I had another look at our mistletoe and can now spot the difference between male and female, the male plant has a lot more leaves and little buds that must attract pollinators. But it's still a mystery how they get there. Our neighbours have got some now too, just on the apple trees so far. smile

nelliethehooker replied on 14/03/2018 19:08

Posted on 14/03/2018 19:08

Another first for me today. We are now down near Lincoln and were walking towards the R.Witham when a black animal ran across the lane..a mink! Too fast for me to take a photo. You know the saying don't you "As quick as a Mink!"wink

Oneputt replied on 15/03/2018 16:49

Posted on 15/03/2018 16:49

First time ever, a Yellow Browed Warbler (I think) in the garden, taken through the kitchen window.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook