What have you seen

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2016 07:48

Posted on 13/12/2016 07:48

I can't see the original sticky so will start a new thread.  Saw nearly 30,000 knot on Breydon Water yesterday.  Great weekend at Minsmere, Otter, Kingfishers, Bitterns, lots of Marsh Harriers

DavidKlyne replied on 17/03/2018 10:38

Posted on 17/03/2018 10:38

Not particularly exotic but we had two Moorhens in the front garden today. The nearest water is at the Local Centre about a quarter of a mile away! I was a bit concerned because we have a rather large cat locally called squid who I am sure would have been up for a bit of hunting!!!

David

brue replied on 17/03/2018 11:14

Posted on 17/03/2018 11:14

This time of the year our bird feeding efforts get decimated by the local rooks and jackdaws who descend on the feeders. They are feeding their young, I can hear the youngsters gobbling up the offerings when I walk beneath the nests. We are lucky, the rookery is on someone else's patch! We like all types of birds so we put up with the marauders. smile

neveramsure replied on 17/03/2018 20:13

Posted on 17/03/2018 20:13

Great pics of the Barn Owl BM.cool

How far away were you?

Bluemalaga replied on 17/03/2018 22:06

Posted on 17/03/2018 20:13 by neveramsure

Great pics of the Barn Owl BM.cool

How far away were you?

Posted on 17/03/2018 22:06

Thanks Neveramsure.

They were further away than I would have liked, as the more crop used reduces the detail in the bird. 

The edge of the hunting area is about 30 metres away from the viewpoint which is a structure that the owl seems to ignore if people are standing in and around, there is no other cover so. I don't like to prevent the bird feeding by encroaching. Then the field stretches for another 60 metres approx, so anything between 40 to 100 metres which the owl quarters until successful. 

From memory, I would say that the pics were from about 40 to 50 metres roughly.

The bonus on this evening was the four Short Eared Owls and 2 Kestrels hunting in the Warth behind the viewpoint. To far away for pics though

HelenandTrevor replied on 18/03/2018 17:23

Posted on 18/03/2018 17:23

What lovely pictures on this thread, just a bit jealous.

We put out a couple of feeders on site here at Hunters Moon, and have been watching the birds, trying to identify as many as we could  (only beginners wink) We've had a Nuthatch and a Great Spotted Woodpecker this afternoon,  did get a nice photo of the Woodpecker will have to wait until we get home to post . 

Bluemalaga replied on 18/03/2018 19:42

Posted on 18/03/2018 17:23 by HelenandTrevor

What lovely pictures on this thread, just a bit jealous.

We put out a couple of feeders on site here at Hunters Moon, and have been watching the birds, trying to identify as many as we could  (only beginners wink) We've had a Nuthatch and a Great Spotted Woodpecker this afternoon,  did get a nice photo of the Woodpecker will have to wait until we get home to post . 

Posted on 18/03/2018 19:42

You are one up on me with the woodpecker H&T On second thoughts, make that 2 up if you caught one of the nuthatch aswell.

Look forward to your post.

neveramsure replied on 19/03/2018 20:30

Posted on 19/03/2018 20:30

A couple of interesting experiences this morning while on my dog walk. Tess spotted some movement in the banking by the side of the path but I could not at first see anything. Then a few yards farther on I saw a brown animal running along the fence line towards some undergrowth, it was larger and furrier than a rat but smaller than a squirrel and without a bushy tail. I'm still not sure what it was.

Later while on the way back I spotted a Buzzard perched on a telegraph wire and a crow was perched about 3mtrs to its left. The crow kept hopping closer and closer to the Buzzard and when it got 0.5 mtr away it jumped over to the right of the Buzzard and landed on the wire. That had the desired effect and the Buzzard headed off to some trees, still being mobbed by the lone crow. 

Nature is a joy to watch sometimes.smile   

HelenandTrevor replied on 19/03/2018 20:59

Posted on 19/03/2018 20:59

Following on from my post above, just a few photos from our break on Dorset. We were lucky enough to see the Sika deer at RSPB Arne. 

The birds were photographed through the caravan window at Hunters Moon site,  so apologies for the quality.

nelliethehooker replied on 19/03/2018 22:04

Posted on 19/03/2018 22:04

Then a few yards farther on I saw a brown animal running along the fence line towards some undergrowth, it was larger and furrier than a rat but smaller than a squirrel and without a bushy tail. I'm still not sure what it was.

Could it have been a weasel, nevers? 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook