Six Nations 2018

nelliethehooker replied on 03/02/2018 20:34

Posted on 03/02/2018 20:34

Not the dominant performance from Ireland that was expected. In fact rather fortunate to win in the end. 

Wales played well but Scotland handed them two tries with those interceptions. However that win will have put Wales' tail up and they'll be hard to beat now.;

mickysf replied on 04/02/2018 02:46

Posted on 04/02/2018 02:46

Well, what a first day! Not the firecracker game expected in the Principality though. As far as points were concerned this game was a bit of a one sided contest. In France that final 40+ phase play, all from Ireland, was the most thrilling event of the weekend so far. Quite amazing really as Sexton who provide the final kick to win the game was down receiving attention from the medical team half way through this push. Now bring on Engalnd, let's hope for a running expansive game and a hard fought contest to the end with a narrow points advantage to England. That bonus point would be a bonus too.

ABM replied on 04/02/2018 14:58

Posted on 04/02/2018 14:58

To  my  mind,  the  most  amazing  part  of  that  40+  end of  match  run  was  the  fact  that  one  of  the  most  undisciplined  teams ,generally  speaking,  kept  their  opponents  at  bay  with  solid,  highly  disciplined  defensive  play.  May  I  say  that    I  hope  all  the  following  games  show  the  same  qualities.  Now  off  to  get  a  hot  Bovril  &  watch  England,  England,  England  !!

mickysf replied on 04/02/2018 19:18

Posted on 04/02/2018 16:56 by Oneputt

Great win by England.  Thought Italy were better than the score line suggests

Posted on 04/02/2018 19:18

A good opportunity to put those training moves into action and blood new players. Having said that Italy proved worthy opposition, they just need a few more Sergio Parisses, he's not getting any younger. That bonus point win will stand them in good stead for later in the tournament. Next week at Twickenham against the Welsh should be fun and games!

Extugger replied on 05/02/2018 08:56

Posted on 05/02/2018 08:56

Interesting opening weekend. However, I thought it would come down to the final weekend with England's game against the Irish being the decider. Now I really cannot see anyone getting near England. They have so much strength in depth and their fourth or fifth choice at 8 (Sam Simmonds) in my view, was Man of the Match. He was outstanding and showed blistering pace, akin to an All Black. Even if you factor in Billy Vunipola's return, this guy could be a world class openside flanker.

The only downside was Ben Young's injury. Hopefully it won't be too serious.

Wales deserved credit for their handling of the Scottish "organised chaos" rugby, which, whilst exciting to watch, proved too high risk when not executed perfectly. The gifting of two tries didn't help their cause and the Welsh took their chances well.

Did the Irish deserve their win? Certianly their overtime 40 plus phase rugby, culminating in Sexton's astonishing drop goal, was edge of the seat stuff, but I think they were lucky and the French deserved a draw.

The Irish are renown for their disruptive rugby at the breakdown, often bordering on illegal. Very similar to the Blacks. The overhead cameras highlighted why their front row is so effective and feared at the set piece - they line up 'illegally' in an "arrow" formation. (I must email Eddie Jones!) Healy and Furlong are amonst the best in the world at prop. Clever.

The Italians were better organised, but will they take any scalps this year? Can't see it, but then that's the beauty of the wonderful game and the Six Nations.

Kennine replied on 05/02/2018 10:33

Posted on 05/02/2018 10:33

I've not made up my mind who the eventual winner might be. So far everything has gone as predicted during the first set of games. 

I would be happy to see the eventual winner come from one of the Keltic countries of France, Wales, Scotland or Ireland. 

Oneputt replied on 05/02/2018 15:45

Posted on 05/02/2018 10:33 by Kennine

I've not made up my mind who the eventual winner might be. So far everything has gone as predicted during the first set of games. 

I would be happy to see the eventual winner come from one of the Keltic countries of France, Wales, Scotland or Ireland. 

Posted on 05/02/2018 15:45

Don't be coy K just say you don't like England and the English.  I'm guessing you have a sign somewhere that says you support Scotland and anyone who plays England.

Personally I don't mind who wins as long as they deserve itπŸ˜‰

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook