What are you all up to

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2016 07:57

Posted on 13/12/2016 07:57

Got back from Fisher Field yesterday after a great weekend away.  Downside is van is filthy bit that will have to wait, more important jollities to enjoytongue-out House more or less decorated although not bothering with outside

RowenaBCAMC replied on 15/08/2024 09:11

Posted on 14/08/2024 19:42 by Bakers2

I've just heard from milliehull. She sends apologies for her absence but she is still unable to get on CT.

She kindly emailed Rowena this morning, so it seems unfair!

Could someone report my post please, so whoever needs to action such things knows? Thank you.

Posted on 15/08/2024 09:11

Hi Bakers2, I've emailed milliehull with the update and hopefully she will be back on once all resolved. The latest updates are also on Club membership section but I appreciate milliehull can't access this so she is more than welcome to keep checking with me. 

heddlo replied on 15/08/2024 10:42

Posted on 15/08/2024 10:42

So proud today.  Grandson got 3 A’s and a B in his A levels!  He has a place at his chosen Uni but has decided not to take it as he doesn’t really know if he wants to do  the chosen course after all.  Such a sensible decision as he has always said he was unsure of the next direction he wants.  Taking a year out to try some work experience in a few different areas. Been a stressful morning for us, now phew!!!πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»

Freddy55 replied on 15/08/2024 10:48

Posted on 15/08/2024 10:48

If I can expand a little further richardandros

Do you know the gallonage of the pond and the power rating of the UV? It’s recommended that there should be 10w for every 1,000 gallons, although I found that it needed more like 15-20w per 1,000 gallons, especially if the pond is out in the open.* If you have one of those all in one filters, chances are it has an 11w UV. Among other things, sludge is made up from dead algae, so if you can get on top of that, it should reduce the sludge problem.

*The numbers given relate to a pond with no surface plants.

Takethedogalong replied on 15/08/2024 11:07

Posted on 15/08/2024 10:42 by heddlo

So proud today.  Grandson got 3 A’s and a B in his A levels!  He has a place at his chosen Uni but has decided not to take it as he doesn’t really know if he wants to do  the chosen course after all.  Such a sensible decision as he has always said he was unsure of the next direction he wants.  Taking a year out to try some work experience in a few different areas. Been a stressful morning for us, now phew!!!πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»

Posted on 15/08/2024 11:07

Congrats to himπŸ‘πŸ‘ Sensible decision to defer. The enormous debt students leave Uni with nowadays means it’s better to be sure it’s what you want. We have a couple of nephews who dropped out of their courses, as they weren’t what they thought. One is now in the Royal Navy touring the World, the other went into banking and is making lots of money advising Billionaires what to do with their money🀣 

Cooler here today, but still dry. Hopefully a bit more gardening at Mum’s.

Oneputt replied on 15/08/2024 11:25

Posted on 14/08/2024 21:35 by nelliethehooker

Reported as requested, B2. 

We set off this morning on our latest trip with an easy 2 hr tow. Another new site for us, very basic but suits us fine, and we were joined this afternoon  by a M/H. It has been a lovely sunny day but cooled down this evening as the clouds built up. The panoramic photo was taken just behind the site. Anyone know where we are, as there is a good clue in the photo.

Posted on 15/08/2024 11:25

Somewhere close to Appleby?

just managed to log on.  Don’t do Facebook

DavidKlyne replied on 15/08/2024 12:06

Posted on 15/08/2024 10:42 by heddlo

Posted on 15/08/2024 12:06

He has got a good education which will always give him a head start. Many of our up and coming managers started as A-Level Trainees. Many of them made the same progress if not more than the university educated trainees. I think perhaps where a university education comes into it's own is where someone wants to pursue a particular career path which in early stages is graduate driven. 

David

Bakers2 replied on 15/08/2024 12:21

Posted on 15/08/2024 12:21

Congratulations to heddlo's grandson. I think that's a very sensible decision on deferring. There's no sense in getting into huge debt unless you're certain. I believe university has been pushed too hard over recent years. There are plenty of other routes to a successful rewarding career. 

If one is not certain, it's good to try different avenues. 

Thanks for reporting my post, nelliethehooker, and to Rowena for her response.

Thread replies and posts appear to disappear πŸ˜•sealed if I remembering things correctly.......

richardandros replied on 15/08/2024 12:33

Posted on 15/08/2024 10:48 by Freddy55

If I can expand a little further richardandros

Do you know the gallonage of the pond and the power rating of the UV? It’s recommended that there should be 10w for every 1,000 gallons, although I found that it needed more like 15-20w per 1,000 gallons, especially if the pond is out in the open.* If you have one of those all in one filters, chances are it has an 11w UV. Among other things, sludge is made up from dead algae, so if you can get on top of that, it should reduce the sludge problem.

*The numbers given relate to a pond with no surface plants.

Posted on 15/08/2024 12:33

Freddy - The pond capacity is about 20 - 25000 litres and the pressurised filtration system and pump are set up for a pond of 30,000 litres. The UV bulb is rated at 24w - I've just bought two new ones. Up to a couple of years ago, the water was crystal clear - despite being 2m deep - so I know the system I have is up to the job. The amount of silt that had accumulated was the problem and now that this has been removed and things are settling down, the water is starting to clear again after less than 48 hours. Thanks for the advice, though.

Freddy55 replied on 15/08/2024 12:53

Posted on 15/08/2024 12:33 by richardandros

Freddy - The pond capacity is about 20 - 25000 litres and the pressurised filtration system and pump are set up for a pond of 30,000 litres. The UV bulb is rated at 24w - I've just bought two new ones. Up to a couple of years ago, the water was crystal clear - despite being 2m deep - so I know the system I have is up to the job. The amount of silt that had accumulated was the problem and now that this has been removed and things are settling down, the water is starting to clear again after less than 48 hours. Thanks for the advice, though.

Posted on 15/08/2024 12:53

So, around 4,500 gallons. That’s a good size pond! It sounds like you’re on top of it πŸ‘

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook