What are you all up to

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2016 07:57

Posted on 13/12/2016 07:57

Got back from Fisher Field yesterday after a great weekend away.  Downside is van is filthy bit that will have to wait, more important jollities to enjoytongue-out House more or less decorated although not bothering with outside

heddlo replied on 18/03/2024 18:52

Posted on 18/03/2024 18:52

Love Northumberland Nellie, especially around Bamburgh and Craster.

We have had a weird and frustrating day today with our Doctors’ Surgery.  OH has an annoying mild eye infection and has tried, for over a week, some over the counter drops recommended by our chemist, which haven’t worked. We contacted the Surgery today, they advised he had to contact the Community Eye Care service in Whitby (about 40 miles from us!). He had a chat with someone there who said ‘GPs don’t do eyes any more’, and requested a picture of the problem eye and both eyes together. He will now be contacted by them on Wednesday morning to discuss the problem and it seems they will then liaise with our GP to get a prescription. Nothing like adding layers of complication!

When he had a similar problem a couple of years ago, the Doctor requested a picture and then prescribed some antibiotic drops, job done, all gone in a couple of days.

This seems ridiculous to me, perhaps it’s just our surgery but honestly what an unbelievable waste of time and duplication of effort.

milliehull replied on 18/03/2024 19:22

Posted on 18/03/2024 18:52 by heddlo

Love Northumberland Nellie, especially around Bamburgh and Craster.

We have had a weird and frustrating day today with our Doctors’ Surgery.  OH has an annoying mild eye infection and has tried, for over a week, some over the counter drops recommended by our chemist, which haven’t worked. We contacted the Surgery today, they advised he had to contact the Community Eye Care service in Whitby (about 40 miles from us!). He had a chat with someone there who said ‘GPs don’t do eyes any more’, and requested a picture of the problem eye and both eyes together. He will now be contacted by them on Wednesday morning to discuss the problem and it seems they will then liaise with our GP to get a prescription. Nothing like adding layers of complication!

When he had a similar problem a couple of years ago, the Doctor requested a picture and then prescribed some antibiotic drops, job done, all gone in a couple of days.

This seems ridiculous to me, perhaps it’s just our surgery but honestly what an unbelievable waste of time and duplication of effort.

Posted on 18/03/2024 19:22

I think they call it 'progress' heddlo 🤔

nelliethehooker replied on 18/03/2024 21:44

Posted on 18/03/2024 21:44

Good to catch up on others news. Nothing seems to be simple these days, heddlo, although I seem to have been fortunate with our doctors and hospital as far as appointments are concerned. Both send out text messages for confirmation and reminders of appointments. Hope your OH's infection soon clears up.

Pleased to hear that you managed a bit of an away day, WN. They say a change is as good as a rest, even if it was to the dentist!! A shame that your party didn't show millie, but at least your day, and talent, wasn't wasted!

We are now on our last site of this trip, Spittal Farm at Kendal. It was an easy drive here, if for us a long, and the weather was fine until about an hour ago.

vbfg replied on 19/03/2024 06:10

Posted on 18/03/2024 12:20 by richardandros

I think it was actually the other David (DSB) who made the recommendation.  It was this one.

I bought one last year and used it for the van roof for the first time, a couple of weeks ago and was most impressed with it. It's also good for cleaning the showers in the house.

Posted on 19/03/2024 06:10

Thanks for that Richard.

Takethedogalong replied on 19/03/2024 10:16

Posted on 19/03/2024 10:16

We are back home after a great weekend. Just a couple of nights (we really, really enjoyed the free one🤣), but we packed plenty in. Decided to brave the A1 roadworks Sat morning, wasn’t too bad, and we could head to Skipton our favourite way via Otley and Ilkley. Spent a good few hours wandering round Skipton, actually clocked up a three mile walk, which surprised us. On the BA Club Site, only two pitches left, very busy. Everyone desperate to get back out like us. Luckily, we got a very good pitch, close to entrance, so hound didn’t have to potter far for his walks. Nice meal in MH Sat night. Lots of rain overnight, but we were snug and dry. Next morning a bit damp, but we were on Embsay and BA Railway for breakfast, that was yummy. Great little railway, nice friendly and interesting volunteers. Still very wet underfoot, but not raining, in fact sun came out in the afternoon. We had another stroll around Skipton, spent a good hour or so in Castle, then back to site for a scone. Lovely sat out. OH went for a stroll down to Strid and back, while I stayed with pooch. I did a bit of a walk later. Woke up with raging toothache at 6am, probably due to cold. Thought I was going to be in agony rest of day, but doubled up on pain relief, a warm drink, and although a bit tender, managed rest of day. We came home yesterday via East Riddlesden Hall, fully open and a very interesting place. Nice break all round. Back on Mum duty today, haircut pending.

Takethedogalong replied on 19/03/2024 12:37

Posted on 18/03/2024 16:11 by Wherenext

It won't be long before they're fixing pensioners with a dating service with AI robots, maybe on something called "Robbie" (for those with long memories and have seen Forbidden Planet)smile

Escaped this morning. The pair of us skiddadled to Chester, but only for a dental check-up.frown A kind neighbour sat in for us with MiL, who didn't like the idea off being baby sat. Tough. It was nice to break the current monotony.

Posted on 19/03/2024 12:37

Tiny gains WN, enjoy every moment you get, even if only for a dentist appointment. 

Nellie, we have spent many happy hours down the years on Cocklawburn Beach. Always find it rather special, as it’s so interesting with the rock pools and dunes. Somewhere to see lovely little hermit crabs usually, although sadly they do seem to get more elusive. We can usually get the MH as far down as possible over the sand dunes, and enjoy swimming down there. 

richardandros replied on 19/03/2024 15:22

Posted on 19/03/2024 06:10 by vbfg

Thanks for that Richard.

Posted on 19/03/2024 15:22

vbfg - just a tip, while I remember. The telescopic handle is a bit strange to operate in that you would think that by twisting it, it would lock and stay in place.  It doesn't - which can be a bit frustrating.  What you have to do is pull it out very hard and it will lock in place.  Took me a while to work that out!

HelenandTrevor replied on 19/03/2024 19:30

Posted on 19/03/2024 19:30

Like Ttda we returned yesterday afternoon from a lovely weekend away not too far from home. Spent some time wandering round the RSPB Middleton Lakes reserve, and also just sitting watching the birds and wildlife. 

Lovely to see the photos and to see people are getting out and about. 

The weather hasn't been too bad, OH managed to give the grass a cut and all my washing dried outside for a change. 

Takethedogalong replied on 19/03/2024 20:20

Posted on 19/03/2024 20:20

It’s been rather nice here. I got home early today, and had a good three hours in garden, in a T shirt as well. First cut of grass, rather late but it’s been too wet to do. Should be a lot better now.

We are having our Shingles jab tomorrow. And apparently one for Pneumonia.

nelliethehooker replied on 19/03/2024 21:52

Posted on 19/03/2024 21:52

Good to hear that your weekend went well, tda. (and yours too Helen). Hope that your toothache has gone and that neither of you have any adverse reactions to the injections.

After rain through the night today has been fine. We had a drive into The Lakes this morning and had a riverside walk before heading to a place we have not visited for a long while. After lunch, following a strole through the ground floor of the house, we had a second walk through  the woodlands down to the lake. Here are a couple of views from the grounds and one of the building itself.  Who can identify where we were today?

Last night of this trip and home by lunchtime tomorrow. Lots of washing to get done, clothes etc, the caravan and car, and I have a couple of non-urgent hospital appointments over the next few days, including one on 8:30 on Sunday morning!surprised

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook