What are you all up to

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2016 07:57

Posted on 13/12/2016 07:57

Got back from Fisher Field yesterday after a great weekend away.  Downside is van is filthy bit that will have to wait, more important jollities to enjoytongue-out House more or less decorated although not bothering with outside

richardandros replied on 20/03/2024 08:04

Posted on 20/03/2024 08:04

nth - got to be Windermere and Wray Castle (I think!).  Thought I recognised the hotel as one we used to stay in before we got Meg, but now I don't think it is (can't remember the name, though!!)

heddlo replied on 20/03/2024 08:07

Posted on 19/03/2024 21:52 by nelliethehooker

Good to hear that your weekend went well, tda. (and yours too Helen). Hope that your toothache has gone and that neither of you have any adverse reactions to the injections.

After rain through the night today has been fine. We had a drive into The Lakes this morning and had a riverside walk before heading to a place we have not visited for a long while. After lunch, following a strole through the ground floor of the house, we had a second walk through  the woodlands down to the lake. Here are a couple of views from the grounds and one of the building itself.  Who can identify where we were today?

Last night of this trip and home by lunchtime tomorrow. Lots of washing to get done, clothes etc, the caravan and car, and I have a couple of non-urgent hospital appointments over the next few days, including one on 8:30 on Sunday morning!surprised

Posted on 20/03/2024 08:07

Looks like Windermere and Wray castle?  We have never visited the castle, is it good to see?  Looks impressive.  Hope all the washing, cleaning, and hospital visits go well for you. 

Takethedogalong replied on 20/03/2024 10:11

Posted on 20/03/2024 10:11

OP, I can remember staying at something like an Army Cadet Camp in the early 1970’s with school, think it might have been at either High or Low Wray, can’t recall which. It had a big mess building that we used as a kitchen/eatery, we stuck our very old fashioned tents all around it. There was a tree top style rope assault course as well. We ended up all sleeping in the mess building ‘cos the weather was so bad and tents were flooded. Does it ring a bell with you at all? We were helping NT for a week doing tasks around Windermere, and climbing a couple of peaks. Helvellyn and Old Man of Coniston. Skiddaw got rained off🥶

Oneputt replied on 20/03/2024 13:06

Posted on 20/03/2024 10:11 by Takethedogalong

OP, I can remember staying at something like an Army Cadet Camp in the early 1970’s with school, think it might have been at either High or Low Wray, can’t recall which. It had a big mess building that we used as a kitchen/eatery, we stuck our very old fashioned tents all around it. There was a tree top style rope assault course as well. We ended up all sleeping in the mess building ‘cos the weather was so bad and tents were flooded. Does it ring a bell with you at all? We were helping NT for a week doing tasks around Windermere, and climbing a couple of peaks. Helvellyn and Old Man of Coniston. Skiddaw got rained off🥶

Posted on 20/03/2024 13:06

Remember it well, it was Camp Windermere based at Low Wray Farm, which was a National Trust property.  The Camp was started by the Dewsbury Adventure Club back in the late 1940’s.  The club was formed by a mill owner to ensure workers children were able to get into the countryside.  Club members used to help on the Farm in return for free camping.  Eventually the camp had an affiliation with the Sea Cadet Corps which was sponsored by the Navy.  I was commissioned into the RN and worked there for 2 years the executive officer/instructor.  BTW my favourite pub was The Outgate which sold Hartleys 

Takethedogalong replied on 20/03/2024 13:29

Posted on 20/03/2024 13:06 by Oneputt

Remember it well, it was Camp Windermere based at Low Wray Farm, which was a National Trust property.  The Camp was started by the Dewsbury Adventure Club back in the late 1940’s.  The club was formed by a mill owner to ensure workers children were able to get into the countryside.  Club members used to help on the Farm in return for free camping.  Eventually the camp had an affiliation with the Sea Cadet Corps which was sponsored by the Navy.  I was commissioned into the RN and worked there for 2 years the executive officer/instructor.  BTW my favourite pub was The Outgate which sold Hartleys 

Posted on 20/03/2024 13:29

Wow, thank you so much for this OP, I had long wondered about its history. As I say, we were a school group, in the early 1970s, and it just seemed a bit “military” to us, with the mess kitchen, the assault course. Our PE teachers were very clued up about stuff like this, pre dates Crowden and Scout Dike centres I think. We had a very wet, but fabulous week. Far too young for the pub though🤣 All girls, three teachers and Henry the terrier! Dewsbury isn’t too far away from here👍

Rufs replied on 20/03/2024 14:21

Posted on 20/03/2024 08:30 by Oneputt

When I worked in the lakes in 1980 Wray castle was a Merchant Navy radio training school 

Posted on 20/03/2024 14:21

Wow!!! i applied for a place there in 1963, but unfortunately the fees were to high and Blackburn BC , where i lived, would not give me a grant so i ended up at the poor mans location "Northern Counties Radio School" in Preston. The council would not fund my bus pass and M&D could not afford it, so i cycled every day 20 miles round trip, hail snow or blow along the A59, until my Dad was given a pay rise and the council stopped my grant, at which point i jumped ship and joined the Royal Navy, but happy days I was already doing morse code at 18 wpm when i joined the RN and had some good radio tech knowledge, so I had a very big advantage ,

beautiful day, should be out doing some gardening , but off to get my ears syringed, not been able to hear properly now for almost 2 weeks & of course getting this done on the NHS now is a no no, local pharmacy do not do it,  so having to pay at a private clinic, that is this years additional pension money already spent yell

nelliethehooker replied on 20/03/2024 21:42

Posted on 20/03/2024 21:42

It is definitely Wray Castle, as confirmed by OP. The hotel is The Low Wood, R&R, and Heddlo it is only the ground floor that is open, has no furniture in it but at the moment has a small exhibition of photos by Beatrice Potter's farther and others. The castle has association with Hardwicke Rawnsley, who was vicar at the church, and so it is most appropriate that it is a NT property.  There are good walks around the grounds and along by the lake. Parking is quite restrictive so anyone wanting to visit should get there early.

Thanks for all the great info, OPtda and Rufs.

After yet more rain in the night and a damp start to the day thankfully it brightened up and after lunch the sun came out. We had an easy drive home, apart for a couple delays due to roadworks. Van all cleared out and OH was able to get 5 rounds of washing done, and most of it dried outside. 

richardandros replied on 21/03/2024 08:28

Posted on 21/03/2024 08:28

"The hotel is The Low Wood, R&R" - thanks for that nth. Just had a look on Google Maps and it was the Beech Hill Hotel we stayed at quite a few times - with stunning views over the Lake.  Was our 'special treat' once a year but then when we got Meg, we couldn't go as it's not (or wasn't) dog friendly. Wouldn't change things, thoughsmile.

Been busy getting the van ready for our next trip away over Easter - to our favourite CS near Malton - been a bit touch and go as to whether we'd be able to go because it's all on grass and Andrew (the owner) gets a bit twitchy about his grass being damaged.  Understandable, really, considering the orchard is, in effect, his back garden. Anyway, he says it drying out nicely but the forecast between now and then isn't looking too clever - fingers crossed!

For the first time ever, I'm struggling to get gas for the Safefills - my usual garage has been out of it for ages and another one near Driffield has plenty of gas but has a problem with its pump.  Looks like I might have to battle my way into Hull which is a bit annoying and rather defeats the object of getting cheap gas!

DSB replied on 21/03/2024 09:33

Posted on 19/03/2024 15:22 by richardandros

vbfg - just a tip, while I remember. The telescopic handle is a bit strange to operate in that you would think that by twisting it, it would lock and stay in place.  It doesn't - which can be a bit frustrating.  What you have to do is pull it out very hard and it will lock in place.  Took me a while to work that out!

Posted on 21/03/2024 09:33

...there are various makes of rotary brushes on Amazon, and as far as I can tell, they all do basically the same job...  the handle system may well be slightly different if you look at a different make.  ??

Apologies, I'm still playing catch up in reading posts this week.  It's been quite busy here.  Carol mum (now in her 90's and who lives around 25 miles away) now requires more visits... she still lives on her own and often needs taking places!  Then, I'm tryng to get to grips with the garden as well as preparing for our visitors - our daughter, son-in-law and 2-yr old..... they're here for 12 days from the Outer Hebrides.....

David

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook