What are you all up to

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2016 07:57

Posted on 13/12/2016 07:57

Got back from Fisher Field yesterday after a great weekend away.  Downside is van is filthy bit that will have to wait, more important jollities to enjoytongue-out House more or less decorated although not bothering with outside

KjellNN replied on 07/03/2024 10:06

Posted on 06/03/2024 23:11 by Bakers2

KjellNN I'm delighted to read you've booked a good amount of time to stay with your family. Happy birthday to her for when the time comes.

🤞that your families here can join you. A difficult time for your son and his wife. Maybe they, and your daughter's family can snatch a few days with you. It will be lovely for all your family to be with the Norwegian family - not to mention wonderful memories.

Meanwhile you can have a different type of holiday without your caravan and let someone else transport you. 😉

The smell of new mown grass was the school playing field. No wonder it was so fresh and strong. Just produced a quick meal and did one load of washing after we got home and unpacked.

Posted on 07/03/2024 10:06

Thanks B2, OH says she is very glad it is finally  sorted .

I must admit I was very keen to drive there, with caravan, so we had our own bed and transport, but OH put her foot down and told me it was just too far ( at my age was also muttered), and not really sensible logistically or financially.

We have taken the airline's cancellation insurance for illness in the family, as that would be the only thing that could stop us travelling, EHICs are already sorted, and healthcare in Norway is  free anyway, so I think we have the necessities covered.

Being there almost 4 weeks will give us time to inflict ourselves on various other family members, who also have spare beds, and we will be there just in time to enjoy the full Midnight Sun.

We have an Easter caravan trip arranged, should also manage some time away in the van in summer, and maybe late September too.   

richardandros replied on 07/03/2024 15:04

Posted on 07/03/2024 10:06 by KjellNN

Thanks B2, OH says she is very glad it is finally  sorted .

I must admit I was very keen to drive there, with caravan, so we had our own bed and transport, but OH put her foot down and told me it was just too far ( at my age was also muttered), and not really sensible logistically or financially.

We have taken the airline's cancellation insurance for illness in the family, as that would be the only thing that could stop us travelling, EHICs are already sorted, and healthcare in Norway is  free anyway, so I think we have the necessities covered.

Being there almost 4 weeks will give us time to inflict ourselves on various other family members, who also have spare beds, and we will be there just in time to enjoy the full Midnight Sun.

We have an Easter caravan trip arranged, should also manage some time away in the van in summer, and maybe late September too.   

Posted on 07/03/2024 15:04

So envious KJ. I remember as a Cadet on the Dartmouth Training Squadron in 1969 (I was in HMS Torquay), we did the 'Scandinavian Cruise' as part of our training and we sailed into Bergen and after a memorable 'run ashore', sailed the full length of the Hardangerfjord, mesmerised by the fact that it's nearly 3000' deep in places! The scenery was absolutely spectacular. Hope you have a wonderful trip.

nelliethehooker replied on 07/03/2024 21:26

Posted on 07/03/2024 21:26

Good to hear that your Norway trip is sorted, well at least the flights, Kjell.

We visited both Blackness Castle and Linlithgow Palace today, both well worth seeing but one must be prepared for the climbing of multiple flights of steps if you want to view all the rooms and walkways in both. We managed to fit in a couple of shortish level walks too, one by the Union Canal and another along by the Forth at Blackness.

Francis replied on 07/03/2024 22:50

Posted on 07/03/2024 22:50

Glad to hear your Scottish trip is going well Nellie 

We’ve had a good day today had a relaxing morning in the van then headed to the nearby caravan dealer for some bits and pieces. Then we took a drive along Blackpool sea front along to Cleveleys for a walk around. Cleveleys is one of our favourite places it’s a nice little town with an excellent promenade so we had a nice walk along there in the sunshine this afternoon. Site here actually quite busy considering the time of year. Not too sure of the plan for tomorrow shall see how the weather is 

heddlo replied on 08/03/2024 09:25

Posted on 07/03/2024 21:26 by nelliethehooker

We visited both Blackness Castle and Linlithgow Palace today, both well worth seeing but one must be prepared for the climbing of multiple flights of steps if you want to view all the rooms and walkways in both. We managed to fit in a couple of shortish level walks too, one by the Union Canal and another along by the Forth at Blackness.

Posted on 08/03/2024 09:25

Trip sounds nice Nellie.  My sister looks out at Blackness Castle from her sitting room window.  They live just opposite across the Forth.  In all the 30’odd years they have lived there we have never visited the castle!  Hopetoun house is about all we’ve done on that side of the Forth. 

Takethedogalong replied on 08/03/2024 12:00

Posted on 07/03/2024 21:26 by nelliethehooker

Posted on 08/03/2024 12:00

Lovely bit of the country Nellie, and two great historic locations. Glad your trip is kind weather wise as well. 

Go for it K, great to see your family again. Let the younger generation sort themselves out on this one, you just want to be able to relax and enjoy being with your siblings. 

Glad to hear others are getting out and about👍 

Like Oneputt, I have clocked up another birthday, still a big kid though really. We had bikes out yesterday, took MH for a shakedown to Clumber Park. All working ok, apart from one high level little light, that only needs a bulb. Bike ride went well, not too much mud, and I managed not to fall off, although came close once. We didn’t go through the Ford, bit too deep😳Hound had a good time pottering around. Early bird arrivals parked up waiting to get onto site, which looked quite busy, guess lots are getting a stay in before prices rocket next week for Easter. 

Cornersteady replied on 08/03/2024 16:36

Posted on 08/03/2024 16:36

Home after a last stopover in Manchester as the flight after 10 but actually early. Another great holiday and another load of memories made and another few hundred photographs as well. It is just so cold here after two weeks of just wearing shorts and a tee shirt, or polo short at night! There's also the shock of having to buy drinks.

The only slightly annoying thing was on the flight back when the cabin crew said the prices on their 'duty free' were 20% off the marked prices and after that another 20% was being taken away as well as a 'bonus', now I'm sure most would see through that 'bonus' but then they said that means you'll be saving 40%

Francis replied on 08/03/2024 21:29

Posted on 08/03/2024 21:29

Nice day here today in Lancashire. Had a relaxing morning in the van then took the short trip to Leyland to visit the British Commercial Vehicle museum which was great we spent a good 2 hours walking round all the exhibits we had visited before about 17 years Ago when eldest son stayed in Chorley so was nice to go back and recommended to anyone in the area who has an interest in classic vehicles. On way back we stopped in to a pub we always visit when in the area and had a lovely meal so no need for cooking tonight. Site very busy tonight lots of vans must have arrive this afternoon. Now just sitting in van with a drink watching telly.

Glad you had a nice holiday away CS

Hope everyone else has a nice weekend 

KjellNN replied on 09/03/2024 00:32

Posted on 09/03/2024 00:32

Busy  day today as we went to Ikea for some stuff for DD and ourselves.

Got the main stuff first, had vouchers for £10 off £100, then went upstairs for lunch.  Very busy as on Fridays there are half price meals.  We had the meatballs as usual.   Then we did a little food shopping, including frozen meatballs, but were disappointed to find there were no packets of the cream sauce in stock.

Back to DD's house with her stuff, and eventually home at 5pm.  Freezer now filled up after today, and a trip to M&S earlier in the week, should keep us going for several weeks.

Off to see son and family tomorrow as it is GS's 18th birthday, then they will be coming to DD's on Sunday for Callum's 6th birthday.    Birthday cake in production at the moment.

RedKite replied on 09/03/2024 15:47

Posted on 09/03/2024 15:47

Well a dull dry day here but did have a thunderstorm last night and strong winds, but just a message from friends of ours almost the same picture as Cornersteady of air plane wing  and three other photos of Cape Verde so presume they will be there for a fortnight in a friends appartment and said they are both very tired and did not realise how tired and stressed they have been the last few months as he lost his father in January and has been sorting all the things that go with it, and they hope to be back home here by end of month.

Glad you have got your travel arrangements sorted Kj and have a good trip to see your family.

Have a good weekend folks.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook