What are you all up to

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2016 07:57

Posted on 13/12/2016 07:57

Got back from Fisher Field yesterday after a great weekend away.  Downside is van is filthy bit that will have to wait, more important jollities to enjoytongue-out House more or less decorated although not bothering with outside

DEBSC replied on 06/03/2024 17:11

Posted on 06/03/2024 17:11

Happy belated birthday for yesterday Oneputt. Good that MIL is getting good treatment from the Physios, Wherenext, sometimes the elderly don’t get the care they really need but clearly not in her case.

Dry here, such a change, so I grabbed a gardening day as well. Seems Ive lost a few shrubs probably due to the wet, but I’ll leave them a few weeks yet just to see if some green comes through. One clematis in a pot isn’t showing any signs of life and it’s matching ‘sister’ is greening up well so that may have gone as well, shame as it usually gives a beautiful show. Grass still rather waterlogged so trying to stay off it. One thing I did find was that I couldn’t get up and down so easily, puffing a bit as well, generally slower and couldn’t stay out so long. Hopefully just the long winter more sedentary life and I’ll shape up soon. Or it could be age, which would be a b#*”^r as OH hates gardening and refuses to do it. He says he would concrete it over or move to a flat! I just love a well kept garden.

Tammygirl replied on 06/03/2024 17:24

Posted on 04/03/2024 21:30 by DavidKlyne

TG

It happened a couple of days before I took the van in for service and MOT. When we are not using the van I try and take it out for a 10/15 mile run every four weeks, the last time was in January and it was fine. Lots going on at home at the moment with appointments etc so I decided to not bother with another run as I knew the service was near. A couple of days before we were due to drive up to Wellingborough I decided I should start the vehicle just to check everything was OK. It started immediately, without hesitation but I suddenly got the flashing air bag light and an error message on the dash. BTW ours is a Peugeot. I have a solar panel on the roof and the mains is plugged in for several hours a day and we have a Battery Master so coupled with the fact that it started very easily I sort ruled out that it was caused by a low battery unless they are super sensitive? The van is now five years old so don't know if its an age thing? You read a lot about this happening on forums and Facebook Groups so it does seem quite common (have you seen my post in the motorhome section?) We had to bite the bullet and have an OEM module fitted which was very expensive as we didn't have the luxury of time to sort it out. I am hoping they have kept the old unit so I could perhaps see if I can get that sorted as spare. I did ask them to keep it but it was a while after they fitted the new one so it might have disappeared!

The insurance is due this month so just waiting to see how much that has gone up!

David

Posted on 06/03/2024 17:24

David, there doesn't seem to be one common denominator that causes the ECU to fail. Not sure about age, our first one on the Peugeot based Bailey went at just over 3 years and our current van went at the 6 year point. We've always thought it was the dealer who caused it to happen that time. The van had been sat under trees outside his workshop for 9 days while we were away in the caravan. IF he didn't start it correctly then it could have caused the issue. We of course cant prove anything but when we went to collect it, on start up the light was lit on the dashboard. Getting it back from your dealer would be good as they are coded to the MH. You could send it to the likes of Crash Data to fix, they would tell you what the problem was that caused it to fail from the codes they get on the test rig. 

Our friends went when we were all in France last May, he had RP cover who helped source a garage near Tours who could replace it, it was much cheaper in France. They gave him his old one back which he will get repaired and keep as a spare. 

Not looking forward to the MH insurance this year either, though we did get a good deal with LV direct on a dual car policy with them last year. It's in for a service prior to going away, at least that shouldn't be as bad as last time when it was cambelt and water pump change time. 

Wherenext replied on 06/03/2024 18:14

Posted on 06/03/2024 18:14

We had occasion to call into F Hinds in Boston when there last autumn DK and we were impressed with their friendly service.

I think at your age Oneputt you should be grateful to keep the sense you already have!laughing Hope you enjoyed the day.

Don't forget folks that its Mothers Day on Sunday. Mothers, don't forget to let everyone know!smile

Francis replied on 06/03/2024 21:34

Posted on 06/03/2024 21:34

We are on site here near Blackpool left home just after one and arrived on site just after 5 easy tow down here roads very quiet. Lovely sunset when we arrived here hoping it’s going to be decent weather over the next few days. Looking forward to relaxing hopefully. Wandered down to the pub in the village tonight and had a couple of beers.

Glad MIL if progressing well WN

nelliethehooker replied on 06/03/2024 21:49

Posted on 06/03/2024 21:49

Belated birthday greetings, OP, hope you have a good trip across to Barleywood. 

Glad to hear that you got hope safe and sound after a lovely week up in Teesdale  B2.

WN, it sounds as if you have the right people helping your MIL. Fingers crossed that she responds well to their efforts.

Enjoy you time down on the Fylde Francis.

We have been very fortunate with the weather so far on this trip with sunny periods and no rain while we have been out and about. We did have a couple of nights when snow fell but not enough  to be of any problems, although it looked good on the hills. Had a walk along by the shore at Bo'ness this morning  and another around Kinneil Estate after lunch. I then had a stroll from the van up Cockleroy to Wallace's Bed ( Hill fort). Here are a few photos  from trip so far. Linlithgow from Cockleroy, two from Bo'ness/Kinneil Estate and the Beam Engine at Wanlockhead.

KjellNN replied on 06/03/2024 22:16

Posted on 06/03/2024 17:01 by Bakers2

Belated birthday ๐ŸŽ‚ ๐Ÿฅณ ๐ŸŽ‰  greetings Oneputt. Why you want to be wiser? If you knew more you'd worry more.

Literally just landed back indoors from lovely week in Teesdale. Not been since son finished uni that way. Good journey back. Hold up on A1 for roadworks not too bad apart from stupid drivers who are in a hurry for a wooden overcoat. Hazards on down the hard shoulder to get in front.

Daffs are out, grasses long. Lovely smell of mown grass so someone's was dry enough.....

KjellNN I hope you get Norwary sorted. Time to splash the cash regardless ๐Ÿ˜‰. Family time's important who knows how much longer you'll get the chance? Health as much as wealth.

Posted on 06/03/2024 22:16

The cash has now been splashed.......OH has booked tickets for us.   DD and family cannot stay away so long, so they will sort their own tickets.  Son and family not sure if they will be able to come as his wife has her dad in hospital due to a stroke and a broken hip (recovering slowly), and her mum, who lives beside them, has Alzheimers.  They will have to wait a while and see how things are, so by then every seat may already be booked.

We will be away for almost 4 weeks, I had to speak to my sister first to check we would not be outstaying our welcome!     Most of the flights that had reasonable departure and arrival times were almost booked up, so we have to go before the start of the school holidays here, quite a bit earlier than we had planned.   OH has advised DD that they better book this week before prices go up more, or there are no seats left.

Next  thing to sort are tickets for the airport bus, we have to travel to Edinburgh, and we still need to book our usual CL in Wales for a visit to our friends in April.

Bakers2 replied on 06/03/2024 23:11

Posted on 06/03/2024 23:11

KjellNN I'm delighted to read you've booked a good amount of time to stay with your family. Happy birthday to her for when the time comes.

๐Ÿคžthat your families here can join you. A difficult time for your son and his wife. Maybe they, and your daughter's family can snatch a few days with you. It will be lovely for all your family to be with the Norwegian family - not to mention wonderful memories.

Meanwhile you can have a different type of holiday without your caravan and let someone else transport you. ๐Ÿ˜‰

The smell of new mown grass was the school playing field. No wonder it was so fresh and strong. Just produced a quick meal and did one load of washing after we got home and unpacked.

heddlo replied on 07/03/2024 08:38

Posted on 06/03/2024 16:05 by DavidKlyne

We had to go into CMK this morning for something unusual. Margaret has three rings on her ring finger which won't come off because the joint above is too swollen. As its next hand  "to be done" for CTS the hospital won't operate unless the rings are removed. We have a jewellers in CMK could F Hinds which I think have branches elsewhere as well. We contacted them to se if they could remove rings and they could. Fortunately all three rings removed without too much bother although the wedding ring was the most difficult and hurt a bit. Best part about it was there was no charge which surprised us. Once the operation is done, no date yet, Margaret will have to decide whether to have the rings rebuilt, perfectly possible apparently, or whether new ones are the order of the day! The former would no doubt suit my bank balance betterwink

David

Posted on 07/03/2024 08:38

I had my wedding ring resized last year.  It had to go up about 2 sizes.  It was a brilliant job and no visible join where the extra gold was inserted and not too expensive either. I’m sure it would be worth getting the rings redone, for sentimental reasons if nothing else!  A new ring wouldn’t feel the same to me. 

DavidKlyne replied on 07/03/2024 09:13

Posted on 07/03/2024 08:38 by heddlo

I had my wedding ring resized last year.  It had to go up about 2 sizes.  It was a brilliant job and no visible join where the extra gold was inserted and not too expensive either. Iโ€™m sure it would be worth getting the rings redone, for sentimental reasons if nothing else!  A new ring wouldnโ€™t feel the same to me. 

Posted on 07/03/2024 09:13

Thanks heddlo, useful to know. I am sure that is the route we will go down if it is a possibility. Just slightly concerned that they have been bent out of the circle so much in the removal process. The ring finger, I am told, it feels rather strange at the moment as its been compressed for so long. Not sure how long it will be as not only has the finger got to recover back to normal but we have to wait until after the operation on that hand. The operation of the other hand was pretty quick and Margaret sees the surgeon next month as a follow up so he may give us an idea when she sees him how long it will be.  

David

Francis replied on 07/03/2024 09:49

Posted on 07/03/2024 09:49

Lovely sunny morning here on the Lancashire coast just having a coffee then heading out a walk. Not too sure of the plan today just hope this weather stays like this.

Glad you got the Norway trip sorted KJ

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook