What are you all up to

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2016 07:57

Posted on 13/12/2016 07:57

Got back from Fisher Field yesterday after a great weekend away.  Downside is van is filthy bit that will have to wait, more important jollities to enjoytongue-out House more or less decorated although not bothering with outside

DavidKlyne replied on 22/02/2024 17:18

Posted on 22/02/2024 13:41 by vbfg

Not too long ago. someone mentioned cancelling their landline.  I am with Plusnet for my landline and broadband and pay around 7.30 a month for my mobile phone calls and 3 gigs of data.  Plusnet are cancelling their mobile service very shortly so I was thinking of cancelling my landline at the same time (and perhaps signing up with somone else for broadband).  Does cancelling a landline have any affect on any services such as broadband and what broadband provider do people recommend?

Posted on 22/02/2024 17:18

Vbf

It is perfectly possible to have broadband only, it has to be either FTTC or FTTP, without having a landline. In fact Plusnet should be able to provide that if you prefer. I am certainly not ready to loose my landline for a couple of reasons. Firstly we have an easy number and more importantly, Margaret, who has some hearing problems prefers the landline handset. At least the mobile signal has improved near where we live so that is not an issue.

All this is going to be complicated within the next year or so by the ending of phone services by copper wire and moving over to VOIP via a fibre connection. Apparently Plusnet are not offering this service so we will probably change back to BT so that we can retain our landline number. We can, at the moment, only get FTTC (fibre to the cabinet) so we are limited to about 34 mbps which is fine for most things. There is third party  high speed full fibre available to us if we need it and it seems that BT are going to install high speed fibre along our road (in fact the cable is already in as I saw them do it!) How long it is before they set it up I have no idea at the moment but have registered my interest.

David

Cornersteady replied on 22/02/2024 17:32

Posted on 22/02/2024 17:32

After a six hour flight and leaving Manchester in the pouring rain we are once again at Cape Verde. Lovely and hot at 28C but it was 30 yesterday. Private pool, mini bar including four bottles of various spirits (replaced every 2 days, soft drinks and beer is almost instant) and 24/7 all inclusive. Here for two weeks. This place even beats a club site. Just sleeping, eating, drinking, sunbathing, but not necessarily in that order. I might even find time to look on CT.

DavidKlyne replied on 22/02/2024 19:38

Posted on 22/02/2024 19:38

With all this rain I am beginning to wonder if I don't prefer snow and ice!!!

Margaret's driving licence is up for the usual three yearly renewal. Because she uses insulin she has to complete a more detailed medical questionnaire. She had to mention she had had her cataract operation. This has meant she has had to have a special eye test on her peripheral vision. The DVLA pay for this and they list where you can have it done. We went to the nearest option at Specsavers in Bletchley. Apparently all was well and hopefully it means Margaret will retain her driving licence. 

Thursday is our usual shopping day so arrival at Waitrose was delayed so we had lunch in the cafe. As were were doing our shopping and thinking about what we would have tonight I spied a rotisserie chicken for .49p , yes .49p, what a bargain. I think they have strict rules on how long they can be left on display after cooking and I think we were in the right place at the right time - for a change! The salad bits to go with it cost more!

David

nelliethehooker replied on 22/02/2024 21:35

Posted on 22/02/2024 21:35

We have had a much better day than most by the sounds of it, with sunshine this afternoon, but it was rather chilly. I even managed to get the car washed. Checked out the replacement microwave in the caravan,and it seemed to work fine, thankfully.

Just now we have had a heavy shower of what sounded like hailstones!!surprised

Bakers2 replied on 23/02/2024 08:26

Posted on 23/02/2024 08:26

Hardly like to type this incase I'm tempting fate 

It's not raining, there's a big yellow thing in the sky making it quite bright. Should I be afraid?

I'm risking a dog walk without full waterproofs 🤞

Dog and OH being taken to be shorn, my turn next week. So going into the library/archives and a whizz, literally to buy sewing thread in the haberdashery. Breaks my half I can't spend long in either.i know the dog will be at least 2 hours, not so sure about OH, but won't complain if he has a long wait.

Enjoy your day folks

KjellNN replied on 23/02/2024 10:49

Posted on 23/02/2024 10:49

We did away with our landline recently, it was only used to receive nuisance calls!

We also moved from Plusnet  broadband as we were dissatisfied with the speed and reliability, and are now on 3 home broadband.  (£20 per month)  We do have a very good 3 signal here.

For mobiles, I have moved from 3 to Lebara (Vodaphone) to be on a different network, while OH is on Smarty (3).   Both are rolling monthly contracts, I have 30gb data, OH has 50gb, so we can use that while away in the caravan.  In total all 3 contracts will come to £32 per month for the first year,  though the first 3 months of the broadband are free, so not yet paying for that .

Deals sourced via MSE.

RedKite replied on 23/02/2024 15:54

Posted on 23/02/2024 15:54

Bakers2 had to look up up 3 corner leek as not sure what it was anyway soon as I saw pictures and read about it and to find a very evasive plant but interesting to read that you can cook and eat it as it belongs to the onion family and now remember seeing it many years ago in a garden in Devon.

Well it has gone damp and windy here although the wind not as bad as Northern France has had and about 90,000 households there with out electricity due to the storm, also a lot cooler than it has been for a couple of weeks so glad that outside chores are done but more to do and will wait until a dry warmer period to do more in the garden.

Have a good weekend folks.

Tammygirl replied on 23/02/2024 16:35

Posted on 23/02/2024 16:35

We got rid of both landline and broadband last September, we were at the end of our contract and due to go away for almost 3 months.

We have mobile phone monthly contracts, OH has Lebara and I have Smarty. We have recently gone with NOW for broadband £20 a month, it's good and fast much better than Plusnet was. We also have a new TP link router for going away, with a SIM card that we can load when needed, full roaming and it's on the EE network. 

Been another dry day today, not so much sun but at least it was dry. I can now see areas of blue sky.

Carpets in the van have all been washed and now drying on the line. We took up the originals as they were far to light in colour and put down some runners we bought in Dunelm. They are rubber backed so grip the floor of the van nicely and don't move. The best thing is you can throw them in the washer when they need it. Being darker colours and striped they don't show the dirt as much. 

WN, good news on MILs health, I'm sure you will be happy to have back home again once the time is right.

Dentist for me this morning, just a check up. The dentist did a scale and clean as well. The Scottish government in their wisdom have decided that twice yearly checks are no longer required. Only 1 a year now but the dentist has said that she is happy to see me every 6 mths for a scale and clean. Very happy with that.  I left my previous dentist due to the ever increasing cost of Denplan and private costs. I was paying £33 a month but getting nothing done other than inspection and hygienist every 6 mths. My teeth and gums are good so I decided to find an NHS dentist, luckily I found one. The difference is inspections are free,  in Scotland,  scale and clean £15.60. Compare that to £33 a month denplan or private costs £75 for dental inspection and £65 for hygienist. Is there any wonder dentists are leaving the profession.

Have a good weekend all.

moulesy replied on 23/02/2024 16:36

Posted on 23/02/2024 16:36

So much for that old "Red sky at night" twaddle! surprised

Our last two days were almost continuously wet. frown

We're back home now - it was a nice break in an area not too far from home but just spoilt by the weather which meant walking just about anywhere was wet and muddy underfoot. Good job the cottage had a tiled floor throughout, cleaning would have been a nightmare otherwise.

mickysf replied on 23/02/2024 16:57

Posted on 23/02/2024 16:57

What are we up to? Preparing for a rugby action packed weekend. Shopping just done with drinks, nibbles and meals all purchased and prepared. My obligatory only worn when England play shirt washed and ironed. Oh, the excitement builds.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook