What are you all up to

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2016 07:57

Posted on 13/12/2016 07:57

Got back from Fisher Field yesterday after a great weekend away.  Downside is van is filthy bit that will have to wait, more important jollities to enjoytongue-out House more or less decorated although not bothering with outside

Cornersteady replied on 01/02/2024 12:16

Posted on 01/02/2024 12:16

May I suggest that you use incorrect as your password, then if you do forget, type something in and the computer kindly tells you:

your password is incorrect.

I was once told in an keep yourself safe online course to get your favorite book and turn to page (your age, year of marriage, house number...) and use the first letter of the first eight words as your password + page number.

Now, if I could remember my favorite book or where I put it... 

Oneputt replied on 01/02/2024 12:33

Posted on 01/02/2024 12:33

Lovely sunny day here, blue sky but a bit of a chill wind.  

Big day in our town today as our third river crossing was opened, I will probably have a drive across it tomorrow.  They have named it the Herring Bridge.

DavidKlyne replied on 01/02/2024 16:37

Posted on 01/02/2024 12:33 by Oneputt

Lovely sunny day here, blue sky but a bit of a chill wind.  

Big day in our town today as our third river crossing was opened, I will probably have a drive across it tomorrow.  They have named it the Herring Bridge.

Posted on 01/02/2024 16:37

I assume that  the new bridge  in Great Yarmouth its named after the fish rather than the comedian Richard Herringsmile

David

nelliethehooker replied on 01/02/2024 22:01

Posted on 01/02/2024 22:01

Best get this posted before they close the site down for essential maintenance!

Nice to back up and running.

Fingers crossed that all goes well tomorrow Goldie, it must be a harrowing time for you all. Hope that the orchard works out, we all need those extra trees to aid the environment.

richardandros replied on 02/02/2024 05:17

Posted on 01/02/2024 12:07 by milliehull

I have changed my passowrd. Now I have to try and remember it!

Posted on 02/02/2024 05:17

Good to be back on here again and I echo other comments about how hard the IT people must have worked to get everything up and running again. On the question of remembering passwords - as I keep telling my friends who have the same problem - simply use a password manager. I have been using Dashlane for years now - and I have nearly 200 passwords stored by the program.  The basic version is free but I pay for the extra capacity.  Other than the master password, I haven't a clue what any of my passwords are and they're all extremely complex which the program generates.  Plus , when you log into a website, it automatically fills in the login and password details - and autofills forms with your personal details if required. I literally couldn't manage without it and it saves so much stress!

I'm currently in Cumbria after yet another trip to the dealers at Tebay to get my heating fixed.  The heating elements have burnt out yet again - two years to the day since they were last changed.  The Truma Combi is a good system when it's working but it seems that the life expectancy of the heater elements is no more than two years use. Not good.

Dealers were brilliant - arrived there at 1045 - started straightaway and I was back on the road to the caravan park for an overnight stay by 1330.  It's a major job, involving removing the boiler completely and stripping it down, so they did well. Not so much the bill though - what was about £350 two years ago becomes over £700, this time.  A sign of the timesundecided

JollyKernow replied on 02/02/2024 09:13

Posted on 02/02/2024 05:17 by richardandros

Good to be back on here again and I echo other comments about how hard the IT people must have worked to get everything up and running again. On the question of remembering passwords - as I keep telling my friends who have the same problem - simply use a password manager. I have been using Dashlane for years now - and I have nearly 200 passwords stored by the program.  The basic version is free but I pay for the extra capacity.  Other than the master password, I haven't a clue what any of my passwords are and they're all extremely complex which the program generates.  Plus , when you log into a website, it automatically fills in the login and password details - and autofills forms with your personal details if required. I literally couldn't manage without it and it saves so much stress!

I'm currently in Cumbria after yet another trip to the dealers at Tebay to get my heating fixed.  The heating elements have burnt out yet again - two years to the day since they were last changed.  The Truma Combi is a good system when it's working but it seems that the life expectancy of the heater elements is no more than two years use. Not good.

Dealers were brilliant - arrived there at 1045 - started straightaway and I was back on the road to the caravan park for an overnight stay by 1330.  It's a major job, involving removing the boiler completely and stripping it down, so they did well. Not so much the bill though - what was about £350 two years ago becomes over £700, this time.  A sign of the timesundecided

Posted on 02/02/2024 09:13

I subscribe to Dashlane as well r&r. Very simple and more importantly very secure.

JK

richardandros replied on 02/02/2024 09:59

Posted on 02/02/2024 09:13 by JollyKernow

I subscribe to Dashlane as well r&r. Very simple and more importantly very secure.

JK

Posted on 02/02/2024 09:59

The last bit is so important JK.  I have an elderly friend who although reasonably tech savvy for her age  (84!), insists on keeping her passwords in a booklet marked "Passwords" on her desk beside her computer and she still gets them wrong! I've given up trying to persuade her to use Dashlane.

peedee replied on 02/02/2024 10:02

Posted on 02/02/2024 10:02

I use F Secure products. does much the same as Dashlane. It was recommended by Which Magazine a few years ago. F Secure ID synchs with all the devices we have. Before I changed I used to use RoboForm, a free application. I scrapped that because they discontinued the "Go" version which you could keep on a USB stick and carry around to use on any device which accepted USB sticks and there was no need to maintain any synchronisation.

peedee

DavidKlyne replied on 02/02/2024 10:35

Posted on 02/02/2024 10:35

Richard said:-

Dealers were brilliant - arrived there at 1045 - started straightaway and I was back on the road to the caravan park for an overnight stay by 1330.  It's a major job, involving removing the boiler completely and stripping it down, so they did well. Not so much the bill though - what was about £350 two years ago becomes over £700, this time.  A sign of the times 

Someone I know (he posts here occasionally) had the same problem with the Truma in his motorhome. He took his to the Truma facility in Derby. I understand the whole heating cassette is changed rather than just the elements? He was charged a bit less than you but still expensive.

David

richardandros replied on 02/02/2024 11:15

Posted on 02/02/2024 11:15

Correct David. The Chief Tech at ALV showed me the parts he had changed.  It was a massive lump of aluminium engineering - looked more like the whole boiler without the casing - and the elements were only a small part of it.  The gas burner was also changed for a new design and various other bits have been re-designed so let's hope those changes make it a bit more durable.  Although I was a bit shocked at the cost (putting it mildly!), I can now see why the repair was so expensive.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook