What are you all up to

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2016 07:57

Posted on 13/12/2016 07:57

Got back from Fisher Field yesterday after a great weekend away.  Downside is van is filthy bit that will have to wait, more important jollities to enjoytongue-out House more or less decorated although not bothering with outside

milliehull replied on 09/01/2024 10:02

Posted on 09/01/2024 10:02

Same from me. Belated Happy Birthday to Mrs WN. I hope you have an enjoyable walk and lunch and hopefully get some better news on your hospital visit.  I expect better news would be the best birthday present she could have. Same weather here as Bakers2 as we are only a few miles away! laughing

trellis replied on 09/01/2024 10:11

Posted on 09/01/2024 09:24 by Goldie146

Sometimes (more often lately) I wish we lived in a bungalow. Our house has grown from a small simple 16th century house to large farmhouse as each generation built a bit on. No planning needed back then!. Different levels, several staircases. Some with bannisters (wobbly). But no bannister to our bedroom which I have taken to muttering about, as my knees start to crack up. So - for my Birthday/Christmas present he gave me a bannister. Bespoke height and fittings made from bit of scrap lying around the farm. And even a silver bow.

Posted on 09/01/2024 10:11

Goldie , with all the various staircases your house sounds like Hogwarts Castle , hope they don't move in the same wayπŸ˜€.. Hubby certainly knows how to push the boat out regarding pressies... Respect.

Tammygirl replied on 09/01/2024 12:06

Posted on 09/01/2024 12:06

RUFS,  we are currently in a semi-detached bungalow, have been here for 32 years now and really like the way we now have it. We've  done a fair bit of work over the years both on the house and garden.

Ideally we wouldn't think of moving but the village has doubled in size in that time and now has lots of young families in it. Our neighbours are young with 2 children aged 7 and 9. Nice couple nice kids but they are getting noisier every year and it's becoming an issue as we get older and don't want to have to put up with it. 

We've decided that it has to be a detached, Fife is our first choice as we like it, lots of coastline and nice places to visit on day trips. Perth is nice OHs home town and I've lived here since 1966 (apart from the years in Germany) beginning to look at years to come when we are no longer touring will we still be happy in this house or would we be happier somewhere else so lots of things to discuss and consider before we get to old to cope with a move.

Going north or west is not a consideration so it's south or east. I don't mind the cold but I really hate rain so west is definitely out. 

GKids just up and I'm trying to get them moving it really is like herding cats. 🀣 They have used a whole month's data in 3 days 😟 had to do an add on this morning for the rest of the month. We have 50gb which does us fine as we rarely stream stuff, they are never off their phones and it's a streaming. Oh well they will be back on their mobile data once they get back to school.

Time to chase them up and get the car loaded and into town for grandsons hair cut. 

Takethedogalong replied on 09/01/2024 13:20

Posted on 09/01/2024 13:20

I’m just catching up on here after a few days away, and so sorry to hear about the health issues. Will be thinking of you all, hope everything improves as much as it can.

Love the banister Goldie, my OH comes up with presents like thisπŸ™‚

Bakers2 replied on 09/01/2024 13:59

Posted on 09/01/2024 13:59

Goldie belated birthday greetings. What a super present!

Rufus our neighbour had 'legs' on yesterday, can't recall him doing it before. Postie still in shorts.

We now have glorious sunshine, I really thought it had been stolen! It's mighty chilly outside but dry. First time in weeks. My rainwater bucket was emptied yesterday, 10 inches since 30 October! (It was accidentally left out and i left it until it overflowed - now curious to see ongoing rainfall....)

We returned from our dog walk, including fields, without either of us needing feet washing. Dora heads straight to the dog shower on our return these days. Most puzzled that she didn't get her feet warmed! Yes very spoilt dog πŸ•.  I have to do my boots first, so the cold has cleared the hose! Didn't realise dogs can give you a disgusted look! Might be able to do the nearest fields if this cold snap continues πŸ˜€.

Tammygirl,very sensible to be considering moving now. Similar you we'd been in our house 36 years and got it retirement ready. Surroundings weren't as there were when we moved in, but despite being walking distance of the town, a village atmosphere continued. It was OH's health, covid and son having a family that galvanised us and my mum passing away at 89 gave us the freedom.

It was much harder work, than I remember πŸ˜‰, as we had moved several times before settling. Probably not as many as you in service life! Whatever it appears to be it'll need licking into your shape! Good luck in your hunt. At least once your offer is accepted you know its certain. Unlike the nail biting awaiting exchange of contracts months on in England. We agreed an offer in September, survey within a week and tenterhooks until exchange in February! Only 5 in the chain,one no sale, one new build...... 😑

Rufs replied on 09/01/2024 15:13

Posted on 09/01/2024 15:13

"Rufus our neighbour had 'legs' on yesterday, can't recall him doing it before. Postie still in shorts"

well large parts of both my legs are metal and plastic so do not feel the cold so much, but did not sucumbe, and glorious day today, managed to persuade OH to stretch her legs walking/wheelchair from Lee to Stokes bay , surprised at how quickly some of the gravel parts of the route have dried out, and there were lots of people out enjoying the sunshine and eating ice cream, i still have birthday vouchers for the ice cream shop must use them soon. Took this shot thru the windscreen, you can just about see the silhouette of the IOW, this was at approx 1445 hrs, surprising just how high in the sky the sun now is, soon be summerlaughing

DSB replied on 09/01/2024 15:42

Posted on 08/01/2024 21:50 by nelliethehooker

We arrived after an easy drive up from Cheshire. Around 4:00 there were about 35 units on site, so about half full as nearly 30 pitches are out of use due to resurfacing work. The surprising thing, after reading lots of other posts, is that there are only 3 units on the serviced pitches and they are all caravans!! It has been a fine day but much colder than the last few.

Hope that they are able to find out the cause of your MIL's stroke, WN. It must be tough for your OH, and hope that you can get out for a few hours walk and lunch tomorrow.

TG, good luck with finding a bungalow. We like the Fife area, although that might because my family on my father's side comes from there!!😁

Posted on 09/01/2024 15:42

I've always been a bit cautious about going to Meathrop as it looks like the immediate approach road is a bit iffy, if you go on Google maps.  However, someone on here (apologies, can't remember who now), said it was OK, so I may well give it a try later on this year.

We're still at Castleton.  Nice bright day today, but rather cold.  We're been down to Bakewell today, the back via Monsal Dale and Winnetts Pass.

12 Serviced pitches, here at Castleton - 8 of them being used (one by us πŸ˜€).  The site has plenty of room, but there are quite a few about...

David

RedKite replied on 09/01/2024 15:42

Posted on 09/01/2024 15:42

Just about to post on here and I pressed a wrong button so lost the lot I had typed grr grr.

A good useful b/day Goldie and belated b/day wishes to you and WN's OH.

Well a friend of ours has had his father pass away late Sunday with all the family with him in a hospice and after moving there last Wednesday so a lot to do now and our other friend her brother in Southern Ireland is very ill in hospital after being there for 10 weeks and came home for xmas  and now back in hospital again and things are not good as his wife has a trerrible cold and cannot visit him at present.

We do have the sun today hooray washing done and dried even though it was a bit chilly but with the sun on your face it is great.

We had a semi detached bungalow in Somerset and here we are detached  with one and a half acre of land but it is a field and OH does the grass cutting with a ride on mower which he enjoys although the ground is lumpy and not really level but in the summer everything dries out so no mowing then but we are happy with it as folk said challenging gardening here.

We have folk around here that wear shorts most of the year but not many as the locals do wrap up from October to June far too much we think.

Take care folks.

DavidKlyne replied on 09/01/2024 17:11

Posted on 09/01/2024 17:11

Lovely sunny day here in MK but cold with a bit of a cold breeze. I like to give the motorhome a run out every now and then when its not being used. Today was also an opportunity to test the back gate (mentioned in a previous post)  with the rotting posts! If we opt for concrete supports to be put in place we won't be able to tie the gate fully back and it will have to open only at right angles so today was a bit of a test. It just means the gate juts out into the road by about a yard, so less than a parked car's width. So getting it in and out of the garden did  not prove to be a problem although Margaret was not so keen on leaving it sticking out into the road whilst I was away on my run out! Motorhome back in place and gates closed I rang the fencing man we have used before and he is coming out on Saturday to look at it. 

David

nelliethehooker replied on 09/01/2024 21:57

Posted on 09/01/2024 21:57

After a frosty night today has been a fine sunny day, but rather chill with the temperature not getting above 5C. We had a pleasant drive up the Lyth Valley and through to Bowness, returning via Windermere. We had a few short walks at Crosthwaite, Winster and Staveley. Our last night tonight of our 30 night trip, using 1 Commercial site, 1 C&CC site, 1 CC site and 4 CLs, at an average cost of about £18:35 pn.

Came across this bonny Clapper Bridge outside Crosthwaite over the River Gilpin.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook