What are you all up to

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2016 07:57

Posted on 13/12/2016 07:57

Got back from Fisher Field yesterday after a great weekend away.  Downside is van is filthy bit that will have to wait, more important jollities to enjoytongue-out House more or less decorated although not bothering with outside

cyberyacht replied on 01/04/2021 09:16

Posted on 01/04/2021 09:16

My regime was wash, polish then wax. The polishing is the most laborious bit. GRP sheathed roof as well. Three semi-flex solar panels bonded to the roof cuts down the amount I need to do though. It took me about a week to do the whole van although I have yet to do the aluminium skirt panels but at least that can be done comfortably sat on a stool rather than perching on tiptoe on a ladder which is the worst bit about doing the roof.

Rufs replied on 01/04/2021 11:00

Posted on 01/04/2021 09:16 by cyberyacht

My regime was wash, polish then wax. The polishing is the most laborious bit. GRP sheathed roof as well. Three semi-flex solar panels bonded to the roof cuts down the amount I need to do though. It took me about a week to do the whole van although I have yet to do the aluminium skirt panels but at least that can be done comfortably sat on a stool rather than perching on tiptoe on a ladder which is the worst bit about doing the roof.

Posted on 01/04/2021 11:00

You have just put me off buying a MH, I can clean the caravan, including the roof in an afternoon, have one of those telescopic brushes so only need a ladder for the roof, i put 2 big sponges on the awning rail rest ladder on the sponges and away you go, i can clean round the roof lights from inside the caravan.

Beautiful day again, not quite so warm but the Solent could be the Med this morning, very clear and very calm, having a family BBQ in the garden on Sunday so need to get the bunson burner out as it is not going to be very warm, but no rain so all good

Wherenext replied on 01/04/2021 11:48

Posted on 01/04/2021 11:48

Brue

Mrs WN wants to know how well the Magnolia Walk is getting along at Abbotsbury. We took MiL down to a cottage near Corfe Castle in 2012, the year after her husband passed away and whilst I went off to explore Chesil Beach they had a wander around Abbotsbury and they were just getting the walk going then. We've not been back since but hopefully will get there later this year but too late for the Magnolias.

Different day today, temperature wise, but still pleasant. A very quiet walk, nobody about and hardly any cars.

Getting our caravan ready for the off next Tuesday for just the 4 nights as we have to return to take MiL for her second jab. Just checked the forecast for next week. Gets a startlingly high 6º so we'll be taking our winter clothes.laughing Only going local and to an adult only Independent site. Never mind the weather forecast I'm looking forward to it.

Takethedogalong replied on 01/04/2021 12:05

Posted on 01/04/2021 12:05

We are same WN. Decided today is MH sorting day, get the old girl out, give her a scrub up inside and out, check everything ok. We might do a day out not too far away before our first few days away, slightly later than the official brakes off. Not far though, and could be interrupted by our second jabs. We are looking forward to it, but won’t beat ourselves up if it goes pear shaped  for any reason. 

Still dry here, but temperature has plunged overnight. No shorts and t shirt today. All those plants I so optimistically took out of greenhouse will all being going back in today. (I should have known better really😂)

KjellNN replied on 01/04/2021 12:08

Posted on 01/04/2021 12:08

We have not had much of the warm weather lately.  Today started sunny, but the clouds are coming and going, so it is not that warm.

We have another "day off" as DD is meeting a school friend for a catch-up chat/walk this afternoon.  OH has washing to do and I need to organise the new lights for the  caravan.  I also found that the toilet pump does not work, so will need to see if it is just stuck, or actually broken.

Installation of lights and sockets  in DD's garden store now completed and working fine, so she has moved me on to installing some shelves in the new bathroom, using the bamboo worktop left from the tops of the concealed cistern units I made.

Also repaired 2 of the oak veneered doors that had been butchered by the useless builders employed by the previous owner.  The doors have a certain thickness of solid oak edging, so can be planed down slightly to fit, but they were trying to make them fit existing non-standard openings and had taken so much off the hinge edges that they were into the chipboard cores!

If a tradesman I had employed had done that, they would either be buying me 2 new doors, or repairing their mess properly, these are not cheap doors.  Cannot understand why they were allowed to get away with what they had done.

Had to take both doors off, plane the hinge edges  more to fit properly, and be straight, then glue on oak veneer to cover the chipboard.  OH has refinished them with Danish Oil to match the other oak I have used, so all looking good now.

The new bedroom and all the other oak woodwork in the house has been a big job, but I have enjoyed working with the oak, and the (very particular) client is pleased with the result......thankfully!

There is still one bedroom and one bathroom with white painted woodwork, I have heard talk of redoing the bedroom eventually, but it is being used as the study meantime, so any changes will be several years in the future.

My next big task, once she has the leaking roof fixed, will be the renovation of 2 very deep walk-in cupboards off the hall to make better storage space, at the moment things are mainly just piled up in them and that is not ideal when what you want is right at the back!

I also need to take up the flooring in them as it matches that used in the hall and living room, so that will allow DD to have some spare stuff, and for me to fill in the missing bit at the door to the new bedroom, and possibly repair a damaged bit elsewhere.......result of more bad workmanship originally.

brue replied on 01/04/2021 12:09

Posted on 01/04/2021 12:09

WN, the Magnolia walk is looking good except we weren't allowed on that bit! They had closed the gates to the field and were cutting the grass, I was looking forward to the coastal view there. I don't usually bother but fancied the extra stroll yesterday!

So pleased the B2s have seen their new grandson. We have really missed seeing our lot over the last year/months I'm losing track now.

We drove round West Bay after our garden visit, all I could see were retired people out for the day and a big group of ancient motorbikers congregating (so no litter or bad behaviour..wink) It was all surprsingly quiet but we won't venture out till after Easter as even if it's cold I think many will flock to the coast.

So back to the garden today, chatting to passersby on the right of way, we have regulars now on their daily constitution. Waitrose delivery arriving later for us and the neighbours, I have been trying to spread it out but in some ways it's helpful to them not thinking too far ahead. Trouble is I wake very early every week when I know it's book a slot day!!

I can feel the wind moving round to the north so will call it an "at home" holiday this weekend and stay inside. smile

DavidKlyne replied on 01/04/2021 12:52

Posted on 01/04/2021 09:16 by cyberyacht

Posted on 01/04/2021 12:52

I have never been into waxing cars,caravans or motorhomes just tend to rely on resin polish. However I did buy a tub of wax which gets good reviews. I have started to do a bit of the roof with the wax but still lots to do. Pretty dull and cold here today so not sure I have the motivation to get the ladder out for a fourth day in succession although according to the instructions for the wax a dull day is better than a sunny one. 

David

Francis replied on 01/04/2021 12:55

Posted on 01/04/2021 12:55

Been a nice few days here weather wise. Glad B2 and OH got to see new grandson sounds like it’s been a boost for you. Still dry here today but a bit windy although allegedly it’s to be nice tomorrow so today I’m going to get out BBQ cleaned ready for tomorrow just in case. Took a drive over to the local tip this morning to dump our old patio heater we have it had it for years but last winter was one too many for it the top had broken off and the main part was full of rust don’t think we will bother with another one as it tended to use a lot of gas plus now we have our summer house with the log burner so don’t really need it. Been a successful few days clearing out rubbish got rid of some tiles SWMBO put them on Facebook free for uplift so 100 tiles gone so garden looking much better now 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook