What are you all up to

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2016 07:57

Posted on 13/12/2016 07:57

Got back from Fisher Field yesterday after a great weekend away.  Downside is van is filthy bit that will have to wait, more important jollities to enjoytongue-out House more or less decorated although not bothering with outside

brue replied on 01/02/2017 16:32

Posted on 01/02/2017 16:32

Oh dear that has caused a bit of a distraction. First of all I looked up the Caledonian Sleeper and started touring Scotland. Then somehow I linked up with the Orient Express and the trips were getting increasingly expensive and at that point the mega bus went out of the window, definitely don't fancy those bunks!! winklaughing

JVB66 replied on 01/02/2017 16:39

Posted on 01/02/2017 16:39

Interesting day as our "dealer yell" had  also contacted manufacturer about our seats ,and given them a lot of duff info,which we found out about when manufacturer contacted us with a request to speak to them as they  were "confused",now sorted new seats coming ,(now next week),and dealer has been bypassed,so it does make one wonder what some dealers know about the product they sell?

KjellNN replied on 01/02/2017 17:04

Posted on 01/02/2017 15:39 by DavidKlyne

Might it have been more comfortable if you had gone by train?

David

Posted on 01/02/2017 17:04

Have you seen the cost of a return from Glasgow to London?

Both train and plane were also considered, but the bus was both convenient and much less expensive.

KjellNN replied on 01/02/2017 17:15

Posted on 01/02/2017 16:32 by brue

Oh dear that has caused a bit of a distraction. First of all I looked up the Caledonian Sleeper and started touring Scotland. Then somehow I linked up with the Orient Express and the trips were getting increasingly expensive and at that point the mega bus went out of the window, definitely don't fancy those bunks!! winklaughing

Posted on 01/02/2017 17:15

They are actually surprisingly comfortable, brue, and I am one of those people who can sleep anywhere.  I grew up on our family fishing boat, sleeping in a bunk next to the engine room, it's the warmest bunk and you soon get used to the constant engine noise.

The seats on the return journey were also comfortable, but the trip was much longer with stops and delays, and I felt the rattling from the road much more.

I would do the "bunk trip" again, but the daytime journey was tedious.

Luckily I will not have to go through all this for another 10 years anyway!

papgeno replied on 01/02/2017 22:08

Posted on 01/02/2017 22:08

Hi David, I'm a bit late catching up. The hospital visit went ok but I'll have to go again in November roughly 12 months after the operation. The surgeon showed me both before and after X-rays. The before one showed bone on bone on one side of the femur and the tibia, the after one was interesting showing the metalwork in place. Apparently I've been overdoing the walking a bit, I was doing up to 2.5 to 3 miles, he said I shouldn't push too hard. So back to shorter walks for now. Today for the first time I tried not taking any pain killers, that was a bit of a shock to the system but I've persevered.

DavidKlyne replied on 01/02/2017 22:21

Posted on 01/02/2017 22:08 by papgeno

Hi David, I'm a bit late catching up. The hospital visit went ok but I'll have to go again in November roughly 12 months after the operation. The surgeon showed me both before and after X-rays. The before one showed bone on bone on one side of the femur and the tibia, the after one was interesting showing the metalwork in place. Apparently I've been overdoing the walking a bit, I was doing up to 2.5 to 3 miles, he said I shouldn't push too hard. So back to shorter walks for now. Today for the first time I tried not taking any pain killers, that was a bit of a shock to the system but I've persevered.

Posted on 01/02/2017 22:21

If you can walk up to three miles you seem to be doing very well. It takes a while for everything to knit into place around the new knee. I assume you have been having regular physio since the operation. They are the ones that encourage you to get moving. For about three months I have not been taking regular pain relief I tend to reserve that for when I have a bad day or when I know I am going to put a lot of strain on it. I suppose its only when you stop taking the pain killers that you will truely know how much pain you are suffering or hopefully not suffering!!! I would be interested to hear you progress over the next few months. Have you got your first trip away planed?

David

milliehull replied on 02/02/2017 08:55

Posted on 01/02/2017 09:20 by HelenandTrevor

Sounds like you are enjoying volunteering in the visitor centre  Millie. We are hoping to get away towards the end of the month, Ferry Meadows site looks like a possibility at the moment. 

Posted on 02/02/2017 08:55

Helen give me a shout if you are coming to Ferry Meadows.  Moulesy has my email address.

papgeno replied on 02/02/2017 09:16

Posted on 01/02/2017 22:21 by DavidKlyne

If you can walk up to three miles you seem to be doing very well. It takes a while for everything to knit into place around the new knee. I assume you have been having regular physio since the operation. They are the ones that encourage you to get moving. For about three months I have not been taking regular pain relief I tend to reserve that for when I have a bad day or when I know I am going to put a lot of strain on it. I suppose its only when you stop taking the pain killers that you will truely know how much pain you are suffering or hopefully not suffering!!! I would be interested to hear you progress over the next few months. Have you got your first trip away planed?

David

Posted on 02/02/2017 09:16

I've been doing the exercises that the physiotherapist gave me religiously ever since I came home from hospital. Even over the Christmas period I only missed one session, I was doing six or seven different exercises 10 repetitions 4 time a day. I'm sure that certainly helped. Mind you it was extremely difficult sometimes to motivate myself especially the four weeks that I had that horrible virus that everyone seems to have had. Haven't planned a trip away yet but we tend not to do that until after Easter. I'm confident that I'll be ok going off with van as I was still caravanning last year before I had the operation.

ABM replied on 02/02/2017 15:17

Posted on 01/02/2017 17:04 by KjellNN

Have you seen the cost of a return from Glasgow to London?

Both train and plane were also considered, but the bus was both convenient and much less expensive.

Posted on 02/02/2017 15:17

Noticed  what  savings  can  be  made,  KjellNN  but  you

really  do   have  to  put  yourself  about  a  bit  though  surprised

On  the  North  East  News  some  ultra-with-it  football

fan  decided  to  get  the  cheapest  return  tickets  for

himself  &  his  Lady  to  go  from  'Castle  to  Oxford  for

the  Saturday  Footy  Match.  It  only  took  28  tickets  each  !

Probably  cost him  the  equivalent  of the  savings  to 

placate  the  Lady  embarassed !

brue replied on 02/02/2017 16:16

Posted on 02/02/2017 16:16

The last time I had to go to Scotland in a hurry (family funeral) I flew there and back in a day. Probably wouldn't like to do the Glasgow/London flight due to the palaver of getting into central London but those Megabus bunks are for the travel hardy....depends who's opposite. Just how close are you to your fellow bus bunkers?! embarassed

Anyway well done KJ, you did it and lived to tell the tale. tongue-out

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook