The Pointless Page

brue replied on 23/01/2018 08:22

Posted on 22/01/2018 14:54 by JVB66

A new slant on pointless

A new Bailey caravan has been delivered to site for a review by a caravan magazine,and when we asked if it would be a full review with an honest nuts and bolts,write up ?  It was an "eyes in the sky"look and reply was even if we thought the LV was poor,  if we value any manufacturer's giving any more to us to evaluate then we have to tread a very narrow pathsurprised

Posted on 23/01/2018 08:22

I was looking at a motorhome mag yesterday, looking at the pics on the reviews it was obvious some of the designs were impractical, a shower right by a bed that had to be left open to get access to the bed etc. A "kitchen" that only had a couple of gas rings and no work surface. The photos reveal all. wink

SteveL replied on 23/01/2018 08:29

Posted on 23/01/2018 08:22 by brue

I was looking at a motorhome mag yesterday, looking at the pics on the reviews it was obvious some of the designs were impractical, a shower right by a bed that had to be left open to get access to the bed etc. A "kitchen" that only had a couple of gas rings and no work surface. The photos reveal all. wink

Posted on 23/01/2018 08:29

If only that were the case. ☹️ I was looking at some for Hymers. Just two gas rings and a very small kitchen area. However, pictures were of the continental model. There was a statement re other layouts with ovens etc were available, but no pictures. Pointless in my view, if you are trying to attract UK buyers.

brue replied on 23/01/2018 08:40

Posted on 23/01/2018 08:40

Well they partially reveal all but you get an eye for the detail. The only way to really find out is to get inside one. wink

replied on 23/01/2018 10:32

Posted on 22/01/2018 08:51 by huskydog

"Making the minimum payments".......I bet the credit card company's just love you Malc , all that interest you are giving them undecided 

Posted on 23/01/2018 10:32

It's interest free, HD. Some are interest free for up to 30 months!

replied on 23/01/2018 10:49

Posted on 23/01/2018 10:49

I didn't watch the whole of it but from what I saw, from that video, EasyT, it was talking about customers who incurred penalty charges for going over their card limit or failing to make repayments on time. In those cases the interest free credit stops and interest gets charged. If you stick to the agreement, that doesn't happen. 

Metheven replied on 23/01/2018 11:04

Posted on 23/01/2018 11:04

Debt is simply using money to purchase that isn't yours, irrespective of interest or not. You are in debt, full stop, no arguments, no excuses.

This may well be handled by the juggling of cards and paying the minimum required while you can, But come a day when through ill health, sickness, etc then the minimum payment still has to be paid, and if not then the agreement is breached and interest kicks in and the balance rises, its a precarious road to take especially at an age when things are not as solid as one could wish for.

A pretty pointless future.

replied on 23/01/2018 11:37

Posted on 22/01/2018 12:02 by

Credit Card and how the banks get rich

Posted on 23/01/2018 11:37

I've now watched the rest of it. It all seems a bit one-sided to me, EasyT. There must be lots of people who have credit cards and use them happily and responsibly without getting into any financial trouble. Of course banks will want to make and increase their profits but so does anyone who is in any kind of business! Profits are necessary to pay wage costs and other overhead costs of running any business.

replied on 23/01/2018 11:44

Posted on 23/01/2018 11:04 by Metheven

Debt is simply using money to purchase that isn't yours, irrespective of interest or not. You are in debt, full stop, no arguments, no excuses.

This may well be handled by the juggling of cards and paying the minimum required while you can, But come a day when through ill health, sickness, etc then the minimum payment still has to be paid, and if not then the agreement is breached and interest kicks in and the balance rises, its a precarious road to take especially at an age when things are not as solid as one could wish for.

A pretty pointless future.

Posted on 23/01/2018 11:44

Metheven, I was off work for six weeks last year because of a fractured wrist, when earnings came to a stop, yet I still managed to keep up payments in accordance with the agreements because I still had income from my pensions. My pensions will get paid to me regardless of ill health or any other unfortunate curcumstances. It is reliable income that gives me not such a pointless future!

Furthermore, my debt is debt with a future repayment plan. I know when I get my seasonal pitch, I will no longer have site fees to pay because a whole years site fees has already been paid out of that debt. So the savings in site fees will enable me to have extra funds available to service that debt. Also savings in fuel cost on the Electric Smart will free up more available funds. 

replied on 23/01/2018 11:56

Posted on 23/01/2018 11:50 by KjellNN

But is it alone enough to live on?

Posted on 23/01/2018 11:56

Yes, Kj, it will be, once we get to March and there is nothing more to pay for site fees, for a whole year because it's all paid up already. I noticed from the video, how one of the people, showed that he was spending too much money on petrol using his credit card and then only making minimum payments, that eventually got him further and further into debt.

However, I'll be getting an Electric Smart car, by July this year at the latest, which will stop the petrol bills and any further debt associated with that. 

The other difference between me and the people on that video is that I'm not tempted to spend more money just because it's available. I spend in situations where I know there'll be a better future outcome such as spending on buying the new Smart Electric to save money on petrol and spending on seasonal pitch fees because of future savings resulting from it. Perhaps, like the video suggested, the banks profits are less than from a customer who defaults and incurs penalty charges but I have a track record of reliable payments that keeps my credit rating excellent, and thereby able to secure the best and most affordable deals.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook