The Pointless Page

brue replied on 22/01/2018 12:11

Posted on 22/01/2018 12:11

Unfortunately a dodgy send money and messages to friends is blocking the screen view! (For me, maybe not others?)

replied on 22/01/2018 12:11

Posted on 22/01/2018 11:28 by SteveL

We do the same. However, it is just as well there are folk like Malcolm to provide them with a bit of extra income,😀otherwise they might bring in card fees on all credit cards, ☹️ rather than just those that offer extras.

Posted on 22/01/2018 12:11

I remember, before Credit Cards took off that my father had a type of Debit Card. You put the card into a cash machine, took out £25 (SAY); The machine retained your card and it was posted back to you

replied on 22/01/2018 12:13

Posted on 22/01/2018 12:11 by brue

Unfortunately a dodgy send money and messages to friends is blocking the screen view! (For me, maybe not others?)

Posted on 22/01/2018 12:13

Not here Brue

brue replied on 22/01/2018 12:13

Posted on 22/01/2018 12:13

And before that I remember going with my Dad to the bank manager where you virtually had to get down on your knees if you wanted anything! wink

replied on 22/01/2018 12:57

Posted on 22/01/2018 12:57

When I went to college I had a grant that would barely cover my books - let alone rent, food, fuel and other items. I resat the first year as I missed the exams due to my mothers death. At the start of the second year of the course I was 20, due to get married, child due in a few months, not prepared to take money from my father and had a 3 year old Viva estate car. I was on a 6 month sandwich course and so had a year of the time with no income to speak of. I made an appointment with the manager of Midland Bank in Leeds centre. I spent an hour talking with the manager; no money maters were talked of after the first 10 mins. At the end of that time he simply said that if I came in and signed a cheque that either he or the accounts manager would countersign and the loan would be interest free until I got into work. In those days there was still a relationship with bank managers. 

JVB66 replied on 22/01/2018 14:54

Posted on 22/01/2018 14:54

A new slant on pointless

A new Bailey caravan has been delivered to site for a review by a caravan magazine,and when we asked if it would be a full review with an honest nuts and bolts,write up ?  It was an "eyes in the sky"look and reply was even if we thought the LV was poor,  if we value any manufacturer's giving any more to us to evaluate then we have to tread a very narrow pathsurprised

ABM replied on 22/01/2018 17:29

Posted on 22/01/2018 17:29

Give  that  comment  the  widespread  publicity  it  truly  deserves  JVB66.  What  is  the  point  of  doing  a  review  if  the  maker  &  the  reviewer  both  know  its  a  load  of  pressurised  B*******.  yell

It  could  turn  me  into  a  cynical  O A P  and  that  would  never  do  !

Tammygirl replied on 22/01/2018 18:12

Posted on 22/01/2018 07:59 by

Never interested in how high or how low a CC interest rate is. I/we use  CCs just as we would a debit card really. Whatever we buy it is paid at the end if month by DD. 

Posted on 22/01/2018 18:12

Yes we have always paid ours off  'IN FULL' laughing at the end of a month. We have a Nationwide CC as well which gives cash back rather than points so have been using that much more these days. As you say we tend to just use it as a debt card then pay it off by DD each month.

redface replied on 22/01/2018 20:27

Posted on 22/01/2018 20:27

As someone who had a bank account back in the 50's, I bemoan the fact that these days not one person in your branch knows who you are despite regular visits.

The staff used to greet you by name and made you feel welcome, Sadly today one is anonymous.

Electronic movement of funds means no need for interaction. The banks rely on the computer to the extent that they will sometimes get things wrong if they have to think for themselves, outside the prescribed box.

Oh well, that's enough from a dinosaur!

KjellNN replied on 22/01/2018 22:33

Posted on 22/01/2018 18:12 by Tammygirl

Yes we have always paid ours off  'IN FULL' laughing at the end of a month. We have a Nationwide CC as well which gives cash back rather than points so have been using that much more these days. As you say we tend to just use it as a debt card then pay it off by DD each month.

Posted on 22/01/2018 22:33

Same as we do.  So much easier to have  the spending on one statement and only one bill to pay.  We never spend on a debit card, that would mean  actually having money in our current account!

OH transfers out surplus funds each month to earn a little interest, then tops up the account when the CCs are due to be paid.  So easy to do with internet banking, how did we ever manage before!?

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook