The Pointless Page

SELL replied on 17/01/2018 14:18

Posted on 17/01/2018 01:36 by

You remember, Kj, how in my previous job, I was on duty 11 hours a day, 7 days a week with no holidays or sick leave. My wife and I had a lot of difficulty managing the work and having time for other caravan activities such as moving sites every 21 days, managing the awning and all the other usual domestic chores. The only advantage was that she was allowed to work together with me but it meant that two of us were working for less the than the minimum wage because of self-employed status.

The only time we had to catch up with domestic tasks were the mornings. However, with working so late at night, some of the morning had to be spent catching up on sleep. There was no time for days out visiting NT, WWT, HHA etc.

Now look at the difference! Only one of us has to work and that too, only 16 hours a week sometimes less. I get at least two days off per week, sometimes three and sometimes four depending on the rota. Yet I'm getting paid just as much, if not more than my previous employer who made both of us work 77 hours a week.  I now get a proper wage paid four weekly through the bank, plus drop money, plus tips. It's not a bad deal, Kj, is it?

Yes, I can see other people's point. If the company provided the vehicle at their own cost, I would be even better off. However, they only provide a company motorbike for bike riders. I wouldn't want to have to do deliveries on a bike. Weather conditions, even in a car, can be treacherous in extreme winter conditions. A huge amount worse when you only have two wheels to get you through snow and ice. So better for me to pay the cost of supplying my own car with the benefit of all the comfort and convenience it gives me.

Posted on 17/01/2018 14:18

it that correct MM a company that you worked for as self employed making your wife work 77 hours a week, how does that work then ?

replied on 17/01/2018 14:34

Posted on 17/01/2018 14:34

It's called 'Hyperbole'

KjellNN replied on 17/01/2018 14:40

Posted on 17/01/2018 14:40

Malcolm's ability to change tack and twist things to suit his current point of view or situation never ceases to amaze me.

With such skills Malcolm, you should go into politics!

Yertiz replied on 17/01/2018 14:41

Posted on 17/01/2018 14:41

I believe that Mrs MM went with him to work, when he was at Dinner to go, or whatever it was called, but never got paid, she just accompanied MM on his deliveries. undecided

Nobody MADE her work, I believe? I seem to recall Malc stating that she can't work over here because of her foreign status.

I suppose she may have done some deliveries whilst MM sat in the car, I can't remember after all that has been written about his trials.

I'm sure he will be along at some stage to correct any errors wink 

brue replied on 17/01/2018 15:15

Posted on 17/01/2018 15:15

I'd rather not have a recap. The sad thing is that debt is a serious issue, if you've ever met someone who is struggling with debt it isn't funny and affects all those around. I realise this is a pointless thing to say but this thread was not intended to raise or discuss these issues. 

KjellNN replied on 17/01/2018 15:18

Posted on 16/01/2018 14:22 by brue

See my previous post TG, the points aren't so lovely anymore...

Posted on 17/01/2018 15:18

I see they have now relented slightly and the cut off point for the x4 deals will now be June.

I wonder where OH has put all our vouchers.........

Yertiz replied on 17/01/2018 15:20

Posted on 17/01/2018 15:20

Please bear in mind it's all pretty pointless, so it's on thread anyway.wink

brue replied on 17/01/2018 15:31

Posted on 17/01/2018 15:18 by KjellNN

I see they have now relented slightly and the cut off point for the x4 deals will now be June.

I wonder where OH has put all our vouchers.........

Posted on 17/01/2018 15:31

Better be quick, I think they've been popular with channel tunnel users on here?

KjellNN replied on 17/01/2018 15:56

Posted on 17/01/2018 15:56

Well, we appear to have £6 of vouchers according to OH, so we may struggle to get a channel tunnel crossing!

And one expires in May, so we will need to be fairly quick.

Are they not sent out every 3 months? If so we have time to wait till the next one arrives, though I doubt we will get to £10 in total.

However, We just exchanged all our Barclaycard points so now have £65 of M&S vouchers to use, plus another £40 from a Christmas present. Then we have £285 of JL/Waitrose ones, so that is the shopping taken care of for a good while!

And a gift of £30 of garden centre ones we have had since last August.

I think a lot of high living will be needed to use them all up.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook