I have committed a Crime

TheAdmiral replied on 10/03/2016 10:08

Posted on 10/03/2016 10:08

Pulled over for a number plate issue and the rozzer who was no old enough to have a driving licence told me that I had committed a Crime, I could not believe it, anyway the "Invoice" arrived this morning, fork ou £100 or else, haven't these people got better things to do, Numberplate recognition cameras the little lad said, B-----s I said, the Eurotunnel.Ferries,Camp Sites in France and Spain recognise my number plate, "you have committed a crime says the little lad.

Blood pressure checked, sky high, must go and have a lie down

Have a nice day

Admiral

DavidKlyne replied on 10/03/2016 10:55

Posted on 10/03/2016 10:55

You live in Bedfordshire where the Police and Crime Commissioner is very keen on raising extra money to finance his force. What was the transgression?

David

JillwithaJay replied on 10/03/2016 11:08

Posted on 10/03/2016 11:08

I too would be interested to know what he reckoned was wrong. They're not always right.  My OH was pulled 'for using a mobile phone whilst driving'.  Had to laugh because his phone was in his jacket pocket in the boot.  He wouldn't apologise though.

300 siggy photo 6b161378-22ab-47bd-97dd-22af5e8f67ba_zpsbtkpqljt.jpg

Navigateur replied on 10/03/2016 11:37

Posted on 10/03/2016 11:37

The number plate recognition works differently in different systems, and the "recognition" bit of software in some places is not sophisticated enought not to have difficulty with some of the attempts to make what is a simple serial number into words or names.

So had I, until in a discussion with a local MOT tester he explained that many of the perpetrators could not spell anyway, and what they saw as a word was gobbledegook to the rest of us.

HelenandTrevor replied on 10/03/2016 11:45

Posted on 10/03/2016 11:45

I remember by hubby being pulled over for allegedly speeding, was given a fixed penalty.  It Was over turned as his lorry tachograph recorded his speed and proved he wasn't speeding. He reckons they pulled him over as his gave them a wave as he went passed.UndecidedLaughing

Mind you he got flashed a few weeks ago, had to do a speed awareness course.Sad

Did they say what the number plate problem was?

tigerfish replied on 10/03/2016 11:54

Posted on 10/03/2016 11:54

Bloody daft and  contrary to good public relations!  In my force the policy was, and I believe still is,- to issue a VDR in such circumstances.

VDR  = Vehicle Defect Rectification.  They are used where a defect is found on a vehicle which is capable of being put right.  The driver is issued with an official notice of the defect and provided he/she reports to a nominated Police station within an agreed period, with the vehcle repaired or rectified, then no further action is taken.

Good will is maintained, -  Defective vehicle repaired, and Road safety improved.

You might want to write to your local Chef Officer or PCC      (Excuse me while I spit on the ground). Pointing out the minor nature of the offence and its detrimental effect on Police Public relations.

TF

RedMick replied on 10/03/2016 11:59

Posted on 10/03/2016 11:59

The problem with 'personalised' plates, is that when the font or spacing is altered the ANPR camera cannot recognise the number. This leads to problems when the system 'flashes' a speeder, but can't recognise the number. 

If your vehicle was stolen, the ANPR cameras, which may trace it, cannot 'see' the number plate to alert the authorities.

Briang replied on 10/03/2016 12:09

Posted on 10/03/2016 12:09

All vehicle regs have to be a certain size and have to be legal so that the ANPR cameras can read the registration, if it cannot read you regs then your reg is illegal, and subject to a fine.

tigerfish replied on 10/03/2016 12:12

Posted on 10/03/2016 12:12

RubyTuesday  -Well yes!  They did it to Admiral Byng.  Well shot him anyway,  ( to encourage the others).

TF

Briang replied on 10/03/2016 12:14

Posted on 10/03/2016 12:14

RubyTuesday  -Well yes!  They did it to Admiral Byng.  Well shot him anyway,  ( to encourage the others).

TF

Laughing

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook