New Site Booking System

DavidKlyne replied on 25/11/2021 11:54

Posted on 25/11/2021 11:54

The Club have released more details of the new Booking System here 

There are still finer details still to be arrived but the link (thanks Harry) sets out how the new system will work.

I have closed the previous thread on when we will get details of the new booking system and opened this one to allow comments specifically on the new system rather than discussing what they might be.

David

SteveL replied on 05/01/2022 18:38

Posted on 05/01/2022 18:07 by JollyKernow

Evening

I've mentioned before that there's no need to cancel a booking and try to rebook. Contact the site concerned and amend the booking. At least then you'll know if there's a hardstanding available to book. 

JK

Posted on 05/01/2022 18:38

Is that going to be possible from the old to the new system JK.? I seem to remember when the question was raised before, it was advised to cancel and rebook. That is currently the advice for amending a booking in FAQ, but I can’t find the reference to securing a pitch surface type.

TandemTwo replied on 05/01/2022 18:43

Posted on 05/01/2022 15:32 by SteveL

I don’t think it really matters wether some have had problems on grass or not. We don’t happen to want to use it if possible. As we like to book well in advance we have no idea what the weather conditions are going to be like.
I don’t particularly want to go prepared for getting our MH out of the mire, I’d rather just drive easily off the pitch. That’s not to say we wouldn’t use grass, just that we are very selective. One of our sites this year, at Dunnet bay, is all grass. However, I understand not an issue even if a bit wet. We also use grass abroad quite a bit. Of course there we haven’t booked and if we don’t like the look of it, or conditions deteriorate, we move on.

Posted on 05/01/2022 18:43

Move on ... yes. Let's examine that

"How long would you like to stay?" 

"Erm ... 1 night? 5 nights? Maybe a bit longer ...?"

"Ok. What is the maximum number of nights you'd like to stay?"

"7"

"No problem. I book you in for 7 nights, I hold your passport and you tell me the night before you want to leave and pay then. No problem"

What's not to like ...

SteveL replied on 05/01/2022 18:50

Posted on 05/01/2022 18:43 by TandemTwo

Move on ... yes. Let's examine that

"How long would you like to stay?" 

"Erm ... 1 night? 5 nights? Maybe a bit longer ...?"

"Ok. What is the maximum number of nights you'd like to stay?"

"7"

"No problem. I book you in for 7 nights, I hold your passport and you tell me the night before you want to leave and pay then. No problem"

What's not to like ...

Posted on 05/01/2022 18:50

We normally just say we are not sure, unless we know the site and are sure. One thing is certain, if they wanted to retain our passports we would not be stopping. Camping Carnet or ACSI card should be ample security.

Hja replied on 05/01/2022 19:18

Posted on 05/01/2022 19:18

When camping abroad we would say 2 nights, maybe 3 nights.  They just say OK, maybe take the camping carnet (do they still exist?  Havent been abroad for a while) Then settle up when we leave.  Sometimes we stay longer than three nights.  One site in the Jura, the "patron" who used to visit each evening, was mightily amused when we stayed 7 or 8 nights in the end.

EmilysDad replied on 05/01/2022 20:12

Posted on 05/01/2022 15:35 by DavidKlyne

On that basis ED you should welcome the ability to book a grass pitch as it seems you are likely to have plenty of choicewink  As to whether existing grass pitched campsites will be converted to hardstandings I somehow doubt that because I suspect the Club would have already done it had it been possible? Probably a bit early to tell whether it will lead to more hardstandings where currently there is a mix. The club will no doubt monitor the booking patterns, my guess would be that the hardstandings will be booked first. I suppose the gamble for the Club in allowing you to book a pitch surface is that more grass pitches could be left unoccupied which would put pressure on converting more to hardstanding but I think it a case of watching this space.

David

Posted on 05/01/2022 20:12

... On that basis ED you should welcome the ability to book a grass pitch as it seems you are likely to have plenty of choice 😉

Indeed, I'm looking forward to it 😊 Let's just hope they introduce a price differential too to 'encourage' tiny MHs from sitting in the middle of a HUGE pitch .... because they can. 🙄  Though having experienced the more laid back attitude of a C&CC site we think we're leaning more towards them in future.

DavidKlyne replied on 05/01/2022 20:35

Posted on 05/01/2022 18:07 by JollyKernow

Evening

I've mentioned before that there's no need to cancel a booking and try to rebook. Contact the site concerned and amend the booking. At least then you'll know if there's a hardstanding available to book. 

JK

Posted on 05/01/2022 20:35

JK

Is it not possible under the new system to amend the booking yourself to a particular pitch type online, or does it become complicated?

David

TandemTwo replied on 05/01/2022 20:37

Posted on 05/01/2022 20:12 by EmilysDad

... On that basis ED you should welcome the ability to book a grass pitch as it seems you are likely to have plenty of choice 😉

Indeed, I'm looking forward to it 😊 Let's just hope they introduce a price differential too to 'encourage' tiny MHs from sitting in the middle of a HUGE pitch .... because they can. 🙄  Though having experienced the more laid back attitude of a C&CC site we think we're leaning more towards them in future.

Posted on 05/01/2022 20:37

*'encourage' tiny MHs from sitting in the middle of a HUGE pitch .... because they can*

What is wrong with a small outfit in a large pitch? I don't want to be really close to anyone so I'm happy with that scenario, besides which, just like me they are entitled to a large pitch and should they wish to erect or wind out their awning it's their choice. 

EmilysDad replied on 05/01/2022 20:59

Posted on 05/01/2022 20:37 by TandemTwo

*'encourage' tiny MHs from sitting in the middle of a HUGE pitch .... because they can*

What is wrong with a small outfit in a large pitch? I don't want to be really close to anyone so I'm happy with that scenario, besides which, just like me they are entitled to a large pitch and should they wish to erect or wind out their awning it's their choice. 

Posted on 05/01/2022 20:59

the problem is that there are only so many pitches & it means that large outfits are then often squeezed onto the smaller pitches that are left.

Not sure where awnings come into it ... if the pitch has a white peg, you can wind out or erect an awning, if it's blue ... you can't. Maybe have a price differential on them too 🙄

JollyKernow replied on 05/01/2022 21:12

Posted on 05/01/2022 20:35 by DavidKlyne

JK

Is it not possible under the new system to amend the booking yourself to a particular pitch type online, or does it become complicated?

David

Posted on 05/01/2022 21:12

Honest answer DK I don't know exactly. I would presume so as you can amend a booking with the current system. There's lots of talk on this forum about cancelling and starting again as that was mentioned in the q & a's. I've said a few times to contact the site as we can amend, overlap and freeze bookings on the current system preventing anyone else taking your spot. I'm guessing it may be the same in future. I do know though that things in general won't be complicated at all.

Off to grout me tiling now, Buenos Noches

JK

Amesford replied on 06/01/2022 00:46

Posted on 25/11/2021 17:14 by DavidKlyne

Harry

One would hope we will now find a warden at the entrance, especially on bigger sites, fast tracking in members that have paid in advance with the advice to return to the office to give their pitch number and pick up the blipper for the barrier and toilet key if used? I just hope the saved time is not used to spend more time telling us how to pitch to the pegwink

David

Posted on 06/01/2022 00:46

Watch what you wish for they could save even more time by allotting us a pitch on arrival  and pressing brown envelopes in our hands with the gate pass and detailed plans on how to pitch correctly 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook